hydrating cats..is it a good or bad idea to reuse iv sets??

Old July 1st 03, 12:19 PM
jeffrey kramer

Default hydrating cats..is it a good or bad idea to reuse iv sets??

hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

many thanx
jeffrey kramer

p.s. if responders could send a copy to my email address i'd
appreciate it. if thiat is not good form, i will certainly adapt
Old July 1st 03, 02:09 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"jeffrey kramer" wrote in message
om...
hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

Posted & e-mailed:

Do you mean the tubing (venoset) for the bag of fluids?? If so, I think
(trying to remember back 2 years) I used a set of tubing for 2 bags before
starting w/ a new set. Needles can be used a couple of times, but I used a
new one each time. Both for cleanliness & sharpness.

Yes - it's okay for people to reply both to the ng & via e-mail; not bad
form.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 1st 03, 08:20 PM

Cathy wrote:
Needles can be used a couple of times

No they shouldn't. They are meant to be disposed of after one use and
should be. Here are pictures that show how much a needle deteriorates
after one use:

http://www.petdiabetes.org/bd_needle.htm

Needles are so cheap it is not worth the risk to try to use them several
times.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 1st 03, 09:12 PM

Using an IV set a few times is ok provided you make the switch from the
old bag to the new bag quickly and don't let the "plug" that goes into
the bag touch anything. I don't leave the needle I've used on the set
either in case bacteria from the used needle creeps up into the fluid. I
always put a fresh one on as soon as I'm finished giving my cat fluids.

Old July 1st 03, 09:35 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"wombn" wrote in message
On 1 Jul 2003 04:19:28 -0700, (jeffrey kramer) wrote:

hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

As someone on an insulin pump, my first question is, how long is the
IV in place?

When I use needles to inject my insulin (rare), I reuse the needles
many times. However, I don't have to inject through fur. I'm not
sure how clean the fur is or if there's a shaved spot that you're
using.

The needle's in place for a couple -- a few minutes for sub-Q fluids,
depending on the amount of fluids given in any one session & the size of the
needle being used. The hair of the fur's not much of a problem - the needle
easily goes under the skin, in-between the hairs.

I took the question to mean more of the venosets than the needles, but
wasn't sure...

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Believe it or not, but needles can actually dull with use. It's not
something you can see with a naked eye though.

If the IV is left in place for more than a day, I'd say don't reuse
it. My sets are left in place for 3-4 days any longer is an infection
risk. And I've had a couple of infections here and there. So now I
put neosporin on my infusion sites.

Not sure if your situation is more like syringes or like my insulin
pump.

Just be extremely careful to clean the injection site thoroughly and
don't let the needle ever touch anything else.

p.s. if responders could send a copy to my email address i'd
appreciate it. if thiat is not good form, i will certainly adapt

comcast is currently having problems with my email