In Flight Meals

Old March 19th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default In Flight Meals

Today really seemed like spring and we were all outside taking advantage
of the weather. Charlie was cleaning out the garage and getting the yard
and garden tools and supplies organized. I was trying to work out the
details of lawn swing assemble.

Then Charlie called out "Jake has something." And I heard something
about "but he didn't kill it". I wasn't sure if he had collected something
dead, or if he had live bird or mouse, but either way the door was opened
and I didn't want whatever it was inside. So I grabbed a couple of plastic
bags and swiped his catch. It was some sort of small bird and I could tell
it had just died. So I asked Charlie where Jake got it.

He said it was the strangest thing. Two birds were darting around the
yard and trees at very high speed. One of them is seems misjudged and flew
into the side window on my car, and fell to the ground dead. Practically
right in front of Jake who trotted over and claimed his prize. Charlie said
he didn't understand why the birds were acting like that. But hey, its
spring, and mating season can be dangerous.

Jake will likely spend the next week sitting outside under the rose
bushes waiting for more birds to fall from the sky.

Jo

Old March 19th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jofirey wrote:

Jake will likely spend the next week sitting outside under the rose
bushes waiting for more birds to fall from the sky.

Aww, you took his prize! Reminds me of Pantern, Frank's dad. One time he
was on the island with my sis and our mum early in the spring. They went
around checking that all the buildings were OK after the previous
autumn's storms. A blackbird had apparently flown against a window of
the sauna and dropped dead on the ground. Soon after they had gone back
to mum's cabin after their inspection tour, Pantern came prancing up to
the cabin, proudly carrying the blackbird as if he had killed it himself.

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old March 19th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:46:16 -0700, "jofirey"
yodeled:

[...]

When I was in England, I stayed in a house that had a family of swifts
nesting there. II found out that swifts are very belligerent, and have
amazing, mid-air "dogfights". Something similar happened to me one
day-- I was walking in the garden, and a swift just plummeted out of
the sky and fell in front of me, dead.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 19th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jofirey wrote:
Today really seemed like spring and we were all outside taking
advantage of the weather. Charlie was cleaning out the garage and
getting the yard and garden tools and supplies organized. I was
trying to work out the details of lawn swing assemble.

Yay! You got it! You're really going to enjoy it in nice weather

Then Charlie called out "Jake has something." And I heard
something about "but he didn't kill it". I wasn't sure if he had
collected something dead, or if he had live bird or mouse, but either
way the door was opened and I didn't want whatever it was inside. So
I grabbed a couple of plastic bags and swiped his catch. It was some
sort of small bird and I could tell it had just died. So I asked
Charlie where Jake got it.

He said it was the strangest thing. Two birds were darting
around the yard and trees at very high speed. One of them is seems
misjudged and flew into the side window on my car, and fell to the
ground dead. Practically right in front of Jake who trotted over and
claimed his prize. Charlie said he didn't understand why the birds
were acting like that. But hey, its spring, and mating season can be
dangerous.

That's very true. And birds often fly into windows and mirrored surfaces
because they can't tell that it's not just a continuation of the outdoors.

Jake will likely spend the next week sitting outside under the
rose bushes waiting for more birds to fall from the sky.

Jo

No doubt!

Old March 19th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

Then Charlie called out "Jake has something." And I heard something
about "but he didn't kill it"... [snip]

He said it was the strangest thing. Two birds were darting around the
yard and trees at very high speed. One of them is seems misjudged and flew
into the side window on my car, and fell to the ground dead. Practically
right in front of Jake who trotted over and claimed his prize.

What a fierce hunter cat!

Joyce
Old March 20th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

Nice story, made me smile.

Tweed