Cat Regurgitation

Old August 15th 05, 08:15 PM
b8hoven b8hoven is offline
Junior Member

Question Cat Regurgitation

Hi,

I have an 8 month old kitten who has been regurgitating almost daily for about 3 weeks now. He was initially throwing up violently but thankfully that has subsided and he now has bouts of "spit ups".

The vet has tested him for leukemia, FIV and has conducted blood work with all normal results. The vet suspects it is a food allergy but the thing that is confusing me is that my kitten was completly healthy prior to getting neutered...and the day after is when he began vomiting.

So I guess my question is this: Can a food allergy just "develop"? He had been eating the same food with no problems but suddenly began vomiting after being neutered (I don't think that's what caused it but that was the chain of events.) I've already "invested" almost $1000 in vet bills and continue to buy very expensive food from the vet for his hypersensitivity along with 2 different medicines but he continues to regurgitate.

What can I do to stop this? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Gina
Old August 16th 05, 03:24 AM
BarB

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:15:15 +0000, b8hoven
wrote:

Hi,

I have an 8 month old kitten who has been regurgitating almost daily
for about 3 weeks now. He was initially throwing up violently but
thankfully that has subsided and he now has bouts of "spit ups".

Is the kitten regurgitating or is it vomiting? They indicate
different types of diseases. Regurgitation can be caused by a
restriction in the esophagus, while vomiting is most often caused by
problems in the stomach or intestinal tract. Regurgitation is rather
passive and the food may come back up appearing hardly touched
because it never reached the stomach, while vomiting can be violent
and the food is partly digested.

BarB

Old August 17th 05, 01:49 PM
b8hoven b8hoven is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
in article , b8hoven at

--
b8hoven

They really can just develop. How long has he been on the allerby food (and
which one is it?).
Hi Karen,

He has been on baby food for 3 weeks now and I have just started to mix in a special food the vet gave me made of green peas & duck. He LOVES both but I continue to find small pools of dried spit up...
Old August 17th 05, 02:36 PM
b8hoven b8hoven is offline
Junior Member

Hi Barb,
He's most definitely regurgitating...he was vomiting so I am familiar with that scary scene. Honestly it almost seems like he has acid reflux. I can hear his tummy bubbling and then he kind of burps up. I even had the vet mix a specail prescription for liquid Tagamet that I put in his food...but he still spits up food.
Old August 17th 05, 10:23 PM
mystro

I'll bet the Vet will say "try a different diet and you'll eventually
find a product that agrees with him/her"