Vino update?

Old July 17th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Vino update?

"badwilson" wrote in message
Winnie wrote:
badwilson wrote:

No, Hill's is it. As far as I know, there is no Australian made pet
food, except supermarket stuff.
It was $50 for 1.8 kg of kibble and $43 for 24 cans. This is Aussie
dollars, which is about 15% less than CDN. So it works out to about
$79 CDN altogether (US$70).

That's not too bad. I paid around $48 CDN (including PST & GST) for
24 cans of Hill's I/D.
I thought you meant $100 for just a case of 24 cans. The vets didn't
prescribe S/D dry,
just can for Rusty. Actually Rusty hasn't been given any dry food
after his 2nd blockage
back in 1998.
There is Medi-Cal brand of prescription food that is made in Canada.
It has similar versions
to S/D and C/D. Rusty was on its Preventive formula which is the
equivalent of C/D for a
long time. The vet told me an Amercian company, I think it Heinz
bought Medi-Cal. But I presumed it is still manufactured in Canada. So
hopefully there is no exchange rate or long distance shipping to make
the price go up. They are cheaper than Hill's.

Seems that they mostly feed dry here in Australia. The vet said we could
just add water to the dry and microwave it, but I'm not buying into that
philosophy. Vino likes canned best and eats it most. But I like to have
a bowl of kibble down for him to snack on when we're sleeping or away.

I've added water to dry food for various reasons over the years. Puppies,
kittens, elderly dogs, etc.

We almost always feed Nutro. I don't use the microwave when I add water.
Seems to mess with the consistency. Besides by the time I microwave and
then let it cool cause I did it too long it would have just absorbed the
water.

The last two years of my mom's old dogs life they and fed her moistened
kibble one bite at a time.

We did have one dog on K/D for several years. She hated it and finally the
vet gave me a recipe and I just cooked for her once a week and froze
portions.

Jo

Old July 17th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
badwilson wrote:
Karen wrote:

Have you noticed with water bowls, they'll walk past two or three of them
get to the one they've decided to drink from? :-)
--

In Jake's case he walks across Charlie's face every night to drink out of
the glass of water Charlie has next to the bed for himself. It is identical

Jo

Old July 17th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
Put water bowls ALL over. And even some at different heights. All
mine seem to like ones that are raised about 3 inches best. Glad he
seems to be doing well.

We have about 5 water bowls around the house and 1 outside. I've
only ever seen him use the one in the bathroom. In Thailand he used
to drink out of the one on the kitchen counter, but here, he doesn't
really go on the counter at all. I think he also drinks less
because it's cold out.

My two certainly drink less when it's cold. I have one indoor bowl,
one outside the back door and the birdbath (which they often prefer.)

I try to put lukewarm water out because I know he doesn't like it too
cold. He likes to lick the water off the bottom of the shower too.
We are starting him on 1 month of s/d tomorrow, after that, c/d. I
hope he eats it, it cost us almost $100 for a month's food!

How much is that in English money? About 50 pounds? That sounds
quite a lot. If you are buying it from your vet don't forget that
they take a huge mark-up. Try and access a supplier on line, if you
need a prescription from the vet and you have to pay for it, it will
probably still be cheaper.

Tweed

$100.00 AUD = £41.10 GBP Still quite a lot.
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old July 18th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

badwilson wrote:
Seems that they mostly feed dry here in Australia. The vet said we
could just add water to the dry and microwave it, but I'm not buying
into that philosophy. Vino likes canned best and eats it most. But I
like to have a bowl of kibble down for him to snack on when we're
sleeping or away.

I want to try that as dry food is much cheaper than can, and the main
difference is more water in canned food. But in one formula I like the
ingredients in the canned food better.
From my research on urinary blockages, it is better to just feed 2

meals a day. The urine
pH goes up after a meal, so the more often a cat eats, the more often
it goes up. An acidic urine is preferred to avoid blockage. I also add
distilled water to Rusty's canned food to
make sure he gets enough water. I adjust the amount of water added
depending on the
output in the litter box. So I can only use clumping litter.

Argh, I hope he eats the c/d when the time comes.
Vino ate Iams for the first 3 years of his life. Once we moved to
Thailand, he also ate some Science Diet and a little bit of Whiskas
interspersed to stretch the other stuff. He never had any problems at
all. All of Dennis' childhood cats were raised on Iams and never had
any problems. Vino doesn't really like any seafood food, so I only ever
get him chicken and beef type flavours.
Since getting over here, I have to admit that I've been only feeding him
Whiskas canned, but Iams dry. I hope that wasn't the cause. I heard
that the Aussie supermarket food is much better than similar in North
America. But who really knows?
After he's off the s/d and the c/d, I will no longer feed him any
supermarket food.

A poster whose cat won't eat C/D told me she just fed him a good
quality cat food. I can't quite remember what brand it was. She ordered
it online. He is also an orange cat.
The vet told me some cats, like Rusty, maybe just genetically prone to
urinary problems.
I have friends who never pay much attention to their cats diet, and
never take them to see a
vet. Their cats do fine and are healthy. Then here is Rusty who I have
been careful in feeding him the right food etc. Yet he always have one
health problem or another.

Winnie

--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 18th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"badwilson" wrote in message
Winnie wrote:
badwilson wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, the supermarket pet food we have in Australia does have to
meet *food* legislation. Ok, the meat is probably the icky bits of beef,
pork, chicken & lamb rather than the t-bone steak parts, but its not
"mystery meat" from goodness knows where, it is the meat that is considered
OK for human consumption.

The better brands have a break down of ash, protein, salt, fat etc etc
(Even Whiskas and Friskies do) so you can compare the "quality" of the
various different foods. Certainly, our supermarkets stock dry cat food
specifically designed for urinary tract health, senior cats, "weight
mainatence" etc etc, although not inthe cheaper brands. That being said,
Shmogg has been fed Whiskas almost his whole life, mainly becaus ehe turns
his nose up at pretty much anything else.

Yowie

Old July 18th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
[...]

Gordon Bennett! More than ten quid a week for Vino's food? That's
terrible. It's sort of immoral that food for a sick cat costs a lot more
than ordinary food. I can understand why it could cost a bit more, but I
wonder if anyone in power over special catfood says to themselves "I can
make a lot of money out of this by telling owners that their pets will die
if they don't eat *this.* This really expensive food is the one that you
need."
I'm cynical.

Tweed

Old July 19th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
[...]

Well, this food is only for a month or 2. We will feed it until it runs
out. The c/d which we are to feed after that is a bit cheaper. Well,
the canned is the same but the kibble is about half as much. For some
reason the canned is also the same as you would pay for Iams or regular
Science Diet here. Seems that all cat food is insanely expensive here,
except for the supermarket stuff. To make matters worse, you can't
bring any pet food into the country. Here goes my idea to have visitors
and Dennis bring cheap food in all the time :-(

Old July 19th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

badwilson wrote:
Well, this food is only for a month or 2. We will feed it until it runs
out. The c/d which we are to feed after that is a bit cheaper. Well,
the canned is the same but the kibble is about half as much. For some
reason the canned is also the same as you would pay for Iams or regular
Science Diet here. Seems that all cat food is insanely expensive here,
except for the supermarket stuff. To make matters worse, you can't
bring any pet food into the country. Here goes my idea to have visitors
and Dennis bring cheap food in all the time :-(

This reminds of the time that Canada banned pet food from U.S.,
probably because of mad
cow. I stocked up on Hill's prescription food for Rusty. The vet's
office got lots of phone
calls on the supply of prescription pet food. Most of the pet food in
Canada are
imported from U.S.
I wonder why you can't bring pet foor to Australia. I suppose that
means you can't oder
them online unless the online suppliers are in Australia.

Winnie

Old July 19th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Winnie wrote:
badwilson wrote:
[...]

You can't bring any meat in and pet food has meat.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness
overflow.
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Newest Vino update badwilson Cat anecdotes 30 July 11th 06 10:14 PM
Vino update badwilson Cat anecdotes 9 July 9th 06 05:29 PM
Britta and Vino update Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 7 April 21st 06 10:32 PM
Vino is getting more and more daring badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 December 4th 03 10:39 AM
Vino barks up the wrong tree badwilson Cat anecdotes 7 October 17th 03 01:36 AM