All Creatures Great and Small...

Old July 19th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rico

Default All Creatures Great and Small...

In article , Randy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote:
Joy wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message
.com...

"JBHajos" wrote in message
We had been watching the Animal Planet channel's daily Backyard
Wildlife Habitat show and said "heck, why not?" So we applied, were
accepted, and developed one. I had no idea how much wildlife is out
there in our suburban residential area!!
Jeanne

My parents spent the early years of their retirement trying to keep
the squirrels out of their bird feeders. Chasing squirrels off the
deck. And buying every squirrel proof bird feeder known to man.
Until they finally found a couple of feeders that were in fact
squirrel proof.

Then they promptly started feeding the squirrels too.

Jo

My daughter and son-in-law have a bird feeder hanging over their
balcony. They like to keep the bird seed out there, too. A squirrel
kept getting into it, so they put the bird seed in a heavy plastic
bucket with a lid. After the squirrel chewed a hole in the lid, they
gave up. I've watched Mr. Squirrel jump on top of the bucket and go
through the hole to the inside. When he's had his fill, he comes out
and goes on his way. I think they enjoy watching that as much as I
do.

Joy

I had the same problem with food in the covered plastic bucket *inside* my
locked storage room door off the patio. I thought maybe I had mice or a rat
getting into my storage room. Then one day I saw an exceptionally large
squirrel flatten itself and crawl under the door! By that time there wasn't
much left of the food. When I have some extra cash I plan to buy a
galvanized steel trash can with the tightest fitting lid I can find and use
that for bird seed storage.

Jill

We use a metal container that popcorn came in. You can find them pretty cheaply

in the discount stores.

Lowes, Home Despot etc have the old timey metal trash cans in various
sizes, a small one will hold a 50 pound bag of black sunflower seeds.
For the squirrel crowd you can get about 20 or so pounds of dry peanuts in
one.

Randy

http://www.crmartin.zoomshare.com

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.