Orphans -- Phil? Anybody?

Old June 18th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default Orphans -- Phil? Anybody?

I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

But, every single time I've raised orphans, about the time they're 8
weeks & older, the are *extremely* susceptible to URI's. I know the
orphan babies are not getting natural immunity from mother's milk. I
always get their vaccinations the moment they are old enough. That
doesn't seem to completely keep them from getting "kitty colds".

They're on KMR. I was wondering if there is any supplement, vitamin
drops, anything that will help boost their immunity.

Thanks!

Sherry

Old June 18th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Sherry wrote:
I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

But, every single time I've raised orphans, about the time they're 8
weeks & older, the are *extremely* susceptible to URI's. I know the
orphan babies are not getting natural immunity from mother's milk. I
always get their vaccinations the moment they are old enough. That
doesn't seem to completely keep them from getting "kitty colds".

They're on KMR. I was wondering if there is any supplement, vitamin
drops, anything that will help boost their immunity.

Thanks!

Sherry

I have never had a problem with URIs in bottle babies. Is it possible
you bring it in from the shelter, or one of your cats? The only other
thing I can think to do is to be sure they are warm enough. I kept
my teenies in a small carrier with towels and a heating pad
underneath. Phil may know about a supplement - I do not.
Good luck!
-L.

Old June 18th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jay Masino

Sherry wrote:
I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

SNIP

I have a question for those of you who have bottle raised young
orphans... How soon have you been able to have them blood tested for
FIV and FeLV? I just rescued what appears to be a 3-week old from the
side of a highway, and our vet told us she was too small to get blood
from. As a result, we have to be very careful to ensure that our
adult cats don't get near her. She's doing great on kitty formula and
wet cat food, so we're thinking of pushing the vet to attempt a blood
sample as soon as possible. What have you guys experienced? Thanks!

--- JAy

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
Old June 18th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jun 18, 8:03 am, (Jay Masino) wrote:
Sherry wrote:
I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

SNIP

I have a question for those of you who have bottle raised young
orphans... How soon have you been able to have them blood tested for
FIV and FeLV? I just rescued what appears to be a 3-week old from the
side of a highway, and our vet told us she was too small to get blood
from. As a result, we have to be very careful to ensure that our
adult cats don't get near her. She's doing great on kitty formula and
wet cat food, so we're thinking of pushing the vet to attempt a blood
sample as soon as possible. What have you guys experienced? Thanks!

--- JAy

Jay, I think it was around 12 weeks before I ever did FeLV testing.
You're wise
IMO to consider this, as there is always the possibility they kittens
were infected
from the mother cat. I don't think it's extremely common though. Of
all the kittens
I've taken in, plus the bottle babies, I've never had one test
positive. The only positives
I've had are from adult strays.
Remember to get their first kitten shots & boosters. I think that's
very important for
orphans, since they don't have mom's immunity.
Good luck! I'll be glad when these are 3 weeks old. They're too tiny
to enjoy right now. It's
just scary.

Sherry

Old June 18th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

But, every single time I've raised orphans, about the time they're 8
weeks & older, the are *extremely* susceptible to URI's. I know the
orphan babies are not getting natural immunity from mother's milk. I
always get their vaccinations the moment they are old enough. That
doesn't seem to completely keep them from getting "kitty colds".

They're on KMR. I was wondering if there is any supplement, vitamin
drops, anything that will help boost their immunity.

Thanks!

Sherry

I haven't had problems with URI in bottle babies this time of year. That's
been something I've seen more with the really early litters, even the ones
with a momma.

I'd just be very careful to wash hands thoroughly before and after handling
them. I'd also consider having a large shirt to wear only when handling
these guys.

Wendy

Old June 19th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 17 Jun 2007 10:46:26p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done
it many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

But, every single time I've raised orphans, about the time
they're 8 weeks & older, the are *extremely* susceptible to
URI's. I know the orphan babies are not getting natural immunity
from mother's milk. I always get their vaccinations the moment
they are old enough. That doesn't seem to completely keep them
from getting "kitty colds".

They're on KMR. I was wondering if there is any supplement,
vitamin drops, anything that will help boost their immunity.

AWwwwwww! I read your Oh Nooooo post and meant to email you but
it's been crazy here. I have no advice or experience to share, but
wanted to wish you luck with them and especially with finding
homes, which I'm sure you'll have no problems with. PICTURES! )

--
Cheryl

Old June 19th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jun 18, 6:51 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

They're doing good. Doing a lot of squalling and squirming and that's
a good
sign. They're very lively compared to what they were yesterday. They
were a little dehydrated and very listless. They are so, so tiny
though. I
am actually worried about finding them homes, though. I've completely
worn
out family/friends over the years homing cats. I've saturated the
immediate
market, I'm afraid. And the shelter is so full. And they're short-
haired tabbies, so
common. Poor little things.
Sherry

Old June 19th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sherry,

Could you re-send your email message? The first one disappeared.

I've got two 1-week-old orphans to raise on a bottle. I've done it
many times, and have, so far, not lost any.

But, every single time I've raised orphans, about the time they're 8
weeks & older, the are *extremely* susceptible to URI's. I know the
orphan babies are not getting natural immunity from mother's milk. I
always get their vaccinations the moment they are old enough. That
doesn't seem to completely keep them from getting "kitty colds".

FVR/FCV vaccines don't prevent infection or symptoms- they just prevent the
disease from becoming severe.

They're on KMR. I was wondering if there is any supplement, vitamin
drops, anything that will help boost their immunity.

Thanks!

Sherry

Do you know if the kittens nursed at all? All the maternally-derived
antibodies kittens acquire from their mothers are acquired only in the first
18 hours of life through colostrum. That's it. So if they nursed during
their first day, they should have some immunity. If they didn't nurse at
all, or if they were pushed out and kept from nursing enough by littermates
they're highly susceptible. Speak to your vet about giving them a drop of
Heska's FVR/FCP Ultranasal vaccine in about a week. The Ultranasal vaccine
won't be inactivated by any maternally-derived antibodies the kittens might
have acquired. But the best way to protect orphaned kittens from FVR/FCV/FP
is to inoculate them with antisera (~2 ml) or whole blood from a previously
vaccinated cat. I use whole blood because it also protects the kittens from
bacterial infections.

How's Yoda??

Phil

Don't forget to resend your email (topcatATmaxshouseDOTcom)

Old June 21st 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Sherry wrote:
On Jun 18, 6:51 pm, Cheryl wrote:

On Sun 17 Jun 2007 10:46:26p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
groups.com:

[...]

Sherry, you're a good mom. Those kitties are very lucky to have found you.

As for advertising them -- how about taking close-up pictures of their
squinty faces now and add their stories to make a poster for the vet's
office? Maybe keep adding new pictures each week so people can see their
progress. It could help others get attached.

Rhonda