Cats and Colds

Old July 4th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default Cats and Colds

CatNipped wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

cybercat wrote:

These are good enough reasons for most people who care about their cats
to take them in when they see signs of a cold or "URI" (upper respiratory
infection) so that the vet can prescribe something to lessen the
congestion, help with other symptoms of the cold, and help make sure that
a common cold does not turn into a more serious infection.

I wish vets could help with the congestion.

The vet gave me eye drops that can be used as nose drops for the kittens.
I'm at work so I can't look at the label to see what it is, but it worked
wonders for my boys - their little noses were cleared up after the first day
and they started eating *MUCH* more when they could finally smell their
food.

I'll look at the label and post the name when I get home tonight.

Hi CN,

I might have missed some follow-ups, but did you find out what they
were? Sounds like if it was eye drops that were used as nose drops, that
they were an antibiotic.

I would be curious about an antibiotic in the nose that helped, if
that's what it was. Maybe the kitties developed a sinus infection too?

Let me know if found the label.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Old July 4th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Thanks, Cheryl. I will ask the vet about that next time, if there is a
next time!

Rhonda

Cheryl wrote:

Our vet prescribed Chlor-Trimaton several times, even for kittens.
Just a very small dose 1x per day until the breathing clears. It
worked wonders. For Bonnie, who sometimes gets a runny nose this
time of year, she will get an injectable antihistamine from the
vet. Fast-acting and seemingly long-lasting for her. It only takes
one shot when it happens.

Old July 5th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Rhonda" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

cybercat wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I posted this separately under "Kitten Nose Drops"...

My vet gave me what is, actually, eye drops but said they
work well as nose drops for cats. Going by this one experience alone, I can
say that their nasal congestion cleared up practically overnight when I used
it. Now, caveat here, their nasal congestion could have cleared up without
this - but it certainly didn't hurt them (they are 10 nweeks old), and on
the possibility that this is what helped them, I recommend using it. The
bottle is a vet's sample, so I don't see a "brand" name, but here's what's
on the label:

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Desamethasone Opthalmic Suspension
USP.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

CatNipped wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Thanks, CN, the first two ingredients sound like antibiotics but I don't
know the last thing. I'll look it up later when I have more time.

Thanks!

Rhonda