Good news regarding my CRF kitty

Old February 23rd 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Default Good news regarding my CRF kitty

Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood pressure
(last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are going to be
cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing a happy dance!
My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady cat. I know CRF is an
emotional roller coaster but for this day it's good news.

Bonnie

Old February 23rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"22brix" wrote in message
Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood pressure
(last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are going to be
cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing a happy dance!
My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady cat. I know CRF is an
emotional roller coaster but for this day it's good news.

Super news, Bonnie, I am so happy for both of you.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"cybercat" wrote in message

"22brix" wrote in message
Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood pressure
(last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are going to be
cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing a happy dance!
My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady cat. I know CRF is
an emotional roller coaster but for this day it's good news.

Super news, Bonnie, I am so happy for both of you.

Thank you thank you! She's a real special kitty.

Old February 23rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:10:20 GMT, "22brix"
wrote:

Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood
pressure (last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are
going to be cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing
a happy dance! My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady
cat. I know CRF is an emotional roller coaster but for this day it's
good news.

That's GREAT news!!

--
Lynne
Old February 23rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

On Feb 22, 7:10 pm, "22brix" wrote:
Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood pressure
(last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are going to be
cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing a happy dance!
My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady cat. I know CRF is an
emotional roller coaster but for this day it's good news.

Bonnie

----------
Having had a CRF kitty (also named Molly), I know how this feels. I am
so happy for you and Molly! May things continue to go well.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

That's great! I know how wonderful it is to get good news when you have
a sick pet.

Give her a scritch from me.

Rhonda

Old February 23rd 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

m...
wrote:

Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood
pressure (last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are
going to be cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing
a happy dance! My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady
cat. I know CRF is an emotional roller coaster but for this day it's
good news.

That's GREAT news!!

--
Lynne

It really is. Today started out pretty bad--besides Molly, I was worried
about another cat who's not eating as well as I'd like and to top it off my
very geriatric dog fell yesterday and the vets were saying things over the
phone like thrombosis near the spine. Well, dog is fine (she's one of the
oldest dogs of her size that they've seen), just pulled a muscle, the other
kitty is okay and I am delighted about Molly. Today was good!
Bonnie

Old February 23rd 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"cindys" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 22, 7:10 pm, "22brix" wrote:
Molly's been on amlodipine for a week to control her high blood pressure
(last week it was 220). It was down to 99 today and we are going to be
cutting back her dose! She's feeling better and I'm doing a happy dance!
My vet thinks she's doing very well for an old lady cat. I know CRF is
an
emotional roller coaster but for this day it's good news.

Bonnie

----------
Having had a CRF kitty (also named Molly), I know how this feels. I am
so happy for you and Molly! May things continue to go well.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cindy,

I've thought about your Molly quite a bit--I know that one of these days the
news won't be good and I know I'll have to make that horrible decision. CRF
really is a miserable disease, the cats just decline and you ultimately
can't do much about it. I have decided pretty much that I don't want to
wait til the bitter end with her and so each time I go the vet with her I'm
pretty much a basket case. I'm sure you know how that is. But I don't see
any point in making her suffer just to delay saying goodbye. In any case,
for right now life is good and she's snoring away in her comfy warm bed.

Bonnie

Old February 23rd 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Rhonda" wrote in message
That's great! I know how wonderful it is to get good news when you have a
sick pet.

Give her a scritch from me.

Rhonda

She's been getting scritches all day! and loving it!

Bonnie

Old February 23rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"22brix" wrote in message

Cindy,

I've thought about your Molly quite a bit--I know that one of these days
the news won't be good and I know I'll have to make that horrible
decision. CRF really is a miserable disease, the cats just decline and
you ultimately can't do much about it. I have decided pretty much that I
don't want to wait til the bitter end with her and so each time I go the
vet with her I'm pretty much a basket case. I'm sure you know how that
is. But I don't see any point in making her suffer just to delay saying
goodbye. In any case, for right now life is good and she's snoring away
in her comfy warm bed.

-----------
Bonnie, you don't need to be a basket case when you go to the vet. You only
need to focus on your subjective impression of how the cat is feeling. When
the time came for my Molly, it was because she was really sick and wobbly
and not eating, not because of the lab values. The only reason the vet
mentioned the lab values at all was because I was feeling guilty, hoping
against hope that it was too soon (despite what my eyes were seeing). The
vet told me that it was obvious that Molly was really sick and "felt really
crappy." And THEN and only then she said, "If it will help you to know that
you are making the right decision...here are the lab values. You can see
that they're grossly abnormal."

There is an in-between point where you will see that your cat is no longer
doing well, barely eating, maybe not using her litter box, maybe wobbly or
whatever. She will be dehydrated and require subcu fluids. But this point
will come before she goes into respiratory distress. I knew for sure I was
not going to allow my cat to go into respiratory distress, but I would have
done the subcu fluids if it seemed like she still had some quality of life
left. But, at that point, I don't think she did. My advice to you is to base
your decision exclusively on how your Molly seems to be feeling. Even if her
lab values are grossly abnormal, if she seems to be doing okay otherwise,
it's too soon. IMHO.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.