Integrating the new kitties

Old June 16th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Integrating the new kitties

I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on integrating these two. They
didn't seem to be fighting, but when they meet, what usually happens
is that Dot will hiss and growl, Buster will try to get a little
closer and lie down, and eventually there will be a commotion with Dot
running to a hiding spot, and Buster chasing her. After Dot finds her
new hiding spot, Buster will lose interest, and Dot will just stay
there all big eyed and unhappy. Dot is such a social and needy cat,
it really pains me to see her hiding!

So I finally decided to separate them, based on what I've seen so far,
and some advice I got from Megan (zuzu). Dot is in my downstairs
den/bedroom, and Buster has the run of most of the rest of the
downstairs, including the living room and kitchen. Most of the other
rooms are closed off. I'm planning on switching them periodically.

But obviously I don't want to keep them completely separated forever,
as then there won't be any progress, and I so want them to at least
tolerate each other!

I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

By the way, here's a video clip of Burt/Buster/whatever-his-name-is at
the shelter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhdr0xR2Qc

I feel so neglectful of him right now, because I'm sitting here with
Dot! I'm trying to balance their needs - Dot is more dependant on
hoomin reassurance, whereas Buster seems to have a better developed
sense of entitlement.

Old June 16th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Takayuki wrote:
I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on integrating these two. They
didn't seem to be fighting, but when they meet, what usually happens
is that Dot will hiss and growl, Buster will try to get a little
closer and lie down, and eventually there will be a commotion with Dot
running to a hiding spot, and Buster chasing her. After Dot finds her
new hiding spot, Buster will lose interest, and Dot will just stay
there all big eyed and unhappy. Dot is such a social and needy cat,
it really pains me to see her hiding!

They'll work it out, Tak. Take a deep breath and try to relax. They are
new to you, new to your home, new to each other. They'll be just fine.
They aren't trying to kill each other so just let them work it out over the
course of the next week or so.

Jill

Old June 16th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-06-15 23:17:53 -0500, Takayuki said:

[...]

Yes, if they are doing that separation is good. Swap them around. You
need to allow some time actually introducing them. I'm certain zuzu
gave you some pretty detailed advice and she is good. I think you will
get a "feel" for what is the right time for things. As far as feeling
neglectful, well, just remember, you are not! If it makes you feel
better, you can time it , but the cats don't have clocks. About the
cheeky thing, well, Dot has had many years elsewhere. With the desk
situation, I had to put a little short tree on either side of my desk
so each had a spot. These days, I am mostly on the laptop on my lap and
Sugar and Pearl do not have the same need as Pearl and Grant did. But
back then, a short tree on either side of the desk really helped.
Postitive, repetetive reinforcement can teach even a 7 year old cat new
tricks. Heck, I taught Pearl to get up on her "testing" tree for blood
tests before my surgery so I didn't have to lift her for a while. You
are all new at this!! It won't happen tonight, but it will happen.

Old June 16th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Oh AND ( Integrating the new kitties)

Takayuki wrote:
I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

A spray bottle will work wonders for the kitchen counter thing. Obviously
wherever they lived before they were allowed to do that (or they could just
be testing you!).

Jill

Old June 16th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 15, 11:17 pm, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about them--they'll adjust to each other. I think
separating them now is
good, simply because Buster is chasing Dot. You don't want her to feel
terrorized.
Just remember internet "advice" is good--but
you're *there*, and you have a much better feel how things are going
between them. There is no
timeline--cats are all different. Dot will learn to tolerate Buster
better, and stop running, and then
he'll stop chasing her! :-)
You already have a very definite analyisis of their personalities!
You'll know when they're ready to
be friends.

Sherry

Old June 16th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 15, 11:38 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Takayuki wrote:
I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

A spray bottle will work wonders for the kitchen counter thing. Obviously
wherever they lived before they were allowed to do that (or they could just
be testing you!).

Jill

Jill, I seriously wouldn't spray them. That seems so mean, considering
they are in
a brand-new environment.

Sherry

Old June 16th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Takayuki wrote:
I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

A spray bottle will work wonders for the kitchen counter thing.
Obviously wherever they lived before they were allowed to do that
(or they could just be testing you!).

Jill

Jill, I seriously wouldn't spray them. That seems so mean, considering
they are in
a brand-new environment.

Sherry

Perhaps, but if the behavior isn't curbed I seriously doubt it will just go
away in time. Then again, Persia has never shown the slightest interest in
jumping up on kitchen counters, desktops, tabletops. The only counter she
ever jumped up on was in the bathroom and that's because the running water
attracted her. I guess I was just lucky that way. So what would you
suggest?

Jill

Old June 16th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Takayuki wrote:
I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

A spray bottle will work wonders for the kitchen counter thing. Obviously
wherever they lived before they were allowed to do that (or they could just
be testing you!).

Jill

Jill, I seriously wouldn't spray them. That seems so mean, considering
they are in
a brand-new environment.

Sherry

I have found putting them down everytime works pretty well. They get the idea.

Old June 16th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

| I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

You've picked up intuitively that kitty names need to be at least two
syllables to help them recognize their own names when called.

Old June 16th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jun 16, 12:17 am, Takayuki wrote:
I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

Because Buster has "told" you his name. Obviously Burt was not his
name

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on integrating these two. They
didn't seem to be fighting, but when they meet, what usually happens
is that Dot will hiss and growl, Buster will try to get a little
closer and lie down, and eventually there will be a commotion with Dot
running to a hiding spot, and Buster chasing her. After Dot finds her
new hiding spot, Buster will lose interest, and Dot will just stay
there all big eyed and unhappy. Dot is such a social and needy cat,
it really pains me to see her hiding!

It sounds like Buster is trying to make friends, the fact that he's
trying to get close and then lying down is a non-aggressive posture
and a cat's way of saying, "I'm not a threat to you, I want to be
friends". They're probably making eye contact which makes Dot nervous
and she runs, which to a young cat like Buster is an invitation to
play. He thinks she wants to play chase! Are you sure Dot is unhappy
or are *you* assuming she is unhappy? How long does she stay in her
hiding place? I see this type of behavior frequently between Lacey
and Barnabus. Usually Barnabus will jump on Lacey, roll her over and
then Lacey will growl and hiss and take off running. Barnabus chases
her until she finds a hiding place. Then a little later I'll see
Barnabus running through the house with Lacey chasing him. With Sam
and Hobbes they put on the appearance of truly hating each other.
Usually Sam is the aggressor but I've watched Hobbes start a fight as
well. Just yesterday, Hobbes was at my feet with his back to the room
and Sam came around the corner, saw Hobbes' back and ran...literally,
he ran and jumped onto Hobbes' back and bit him. They don't draw
blood but they attack each other like this at least once or twice a
week. They growl at each other on a daily basis. But when I feed
them, they'll eat right next to each other and sometimes I'll go back
to the bedroom and find them asleep, 6 inches away from each other,
almost touching paws. I realize that Megan has a lot of experience
with a lot of different cats and I respect that, but I'm not sure
totally separating them is such a good idea. You're giving Buster a
chance to establish his own territory in the main part of the house
and Dot is going to have only one room. I wouldn't leave them together
alone but right now you have two cats who are in a new environment
without their own territory. They have a chance to set boundries
together. Unless they are literally fighting and hurting each other,
give them a chance. Watch their body language. Are their ears pointed
forward or back, are their tails up or are the slinking around with
their tails to the ground? You are concerned about them, you are
tense and over protective. They're going to pick up on that and react.
Go to bed and see what happens. You might end up with two cats in bed
with you and wake up with two cats curled up next to each other. I'm
going to tell you what I was told when I brought Selena home....go
slowly, expect occasional hissing and spitting. Give them "time-out"
periods if it gets really nasty but try to let them work it out on
their own. Remember that Buster is really still a kitten and is going
to want to play harder than Dot. Do you have a laser light or any
other type of interactive toy? A cat-chaser or whatever the fishing
pole toy is called? Even a piece of string. Something they can both
concentrate on and play with that will give them an opportunity to
interact with each other and with you at the same time. Hand out
treats at the same time so they're eating near each other. These are
just some of my ideas and opinions. I realize I've only integrated
five cats, not as many as others in this group but I have been
successful and we all live in relative peace and everyone seems happy.

Good luck, take your time and RELAX!

Hugs and headbutts,
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

ps: Barnabus wants to know what is wrong with being on the counter?
How else is an inquisitive boy cat supposed to learn what his slave is
doing? (Seriously, when Barnabus jumps onto the counter I gently push
him off so that he has to jump down and at the same time telling him
he's not supposed to be on the counter. Over time this has worked.
He will occasionally still jump up onto the counter but jumps right
back down when I turn to look at him.)