Big cats in England

Old April 22nd 04, 03:02 AM
Cheryl

"Yoj" dumped this in news:XqDhc.4153$eZ5.3365
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net on 21 Apr 2004:

"Life will find a way."
Chaos theorist Ian Malcolm in Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park

--
Cheryl

Interesting you should mention him. I gave a speech last night in which
I quoted his comment about cloning: "You were so excited about the fact
that you could do it, you never stopped to wonder whether you should do
it." He was talking about cloning dinosaurs, but I think it's a very
apropos comment for things that are going on today.

I would have liked to have heard that! I like that quote. It has meaning to
MANY things going on today.

--
Cheryl

Old April 22nd 04, 03:05 AM
Yoj

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Yoj" dumped this in

[...]

That's true. It does. My club was having a movie theme night, and my
speech was about memorable lines or scenes from movies. I also
mentioned the cow scene in Twister, among other things.

Joy

Old April 22nd 04, 03:05 AM
Yoj

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Yoj" dumped this in

Old April 22nd 04, 04:31 AM
Marina

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote

As a result, before the law came into
effect, it is beleived that some private owners released their animals

into the
wild rather than the animal be euthanised or end up in someone else's zoo

here
in the UK or abroad.

This I don't understand. Why would they not want them to end up in another
zoo where they would have been looked after properly? Or maybe I could
understand if they couldn't be sure whether they would be euthanised or sent
to another zoo. But still. You'd think public awareness of the dangers of
letting out non-native animals into the wrong environment would be at a
level where no-one would dream of doing it. Obviously not. Just the other
day, there was another hit on a mink farm here in Finland, and thousands of
minks were let out. Personally, I think farming animals for their fur should
be banned, but this is not the right way to go.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old April 22nd 04, 08:15 AM

Yowie wrote:

This problem of "imported" species out-doing the native species is a
major problem here in Australia, particularly when it comes to feral
cats, dogs and pigs, although there are many other introduced species
that are wreaking havoc in their own environmental niches (can toads,
european carp, indian mynah bird etc etc).

Aren't cats causing problems in the Galapagos islands, too? None of the
animals there have predators, so they didn't evolve any fear of other
animals. That's a big part of the charm of that area - the animals will
come right up to you because they have no reason not to. But with cats
on the island(s), many species will be in big trouble.

And then there's the brown snake in Guam.

Joyce

Old April 22nd 04, 09:08 AM
Debbie Wilson

Aren't cats causing problems in the Galapagos islands, too? None of the
animals there have predators, so they didn't evolve any fear of other
animals. That's a big part of the charm of that area - the animals will
come right up to you because they have no reason not to. But with cats
on the island(s), many species will be in big trouble.

Just got back from the Galapagos a few weeks ago :-))) What a fabulous
trip! Yes, cats are a problem on some islands, along with goats, rats,
pigs and several other non-mammalian species. However the scientists
there are working on, and implementing some very clever schemes to
eradicate pest species. They just need more resources and money to get
the job done fast enough. And I can vouch for the fearlessness of the
animals and birds - just incredible. The National Park has a policy for
visitors: you can't touch the animals - but they can touch you! (And
they do!)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com