Can cats swim? (no really)

Old July 27th 18, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Auric Hellman

Default Can cats swim? (no really)

A website that's both fun and informative

http://mytypesofcats.com/can-cats-swim/

Dr. Auric D. Hellman

Old July 30th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 11:37:56 PM UTC-4, Auric Hellman wrote:
A website that's both fun and informative

http://mytypesofcats.com/can-cats-swim/

Dr. Auric D. Hellman

I think most mammals can swim, with the exception of some apes. Although some like it more than others.
Old July 30th 18, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Auric Hellman

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 19:24:41 -0700 (PDT), Bill Stock
wrote:

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 11:37:56 PM UTC-4, Auric Hellman wrote:
A website that's both fun and informative

http://mytypesofcats.com/can-cats-swim/

I think most mammals can swim, with the exception of some apes. Although some like it more than others.

Ah, there's the catch. I remember as a youngster, one of the local
boys picked-up a stray tabby and tossed him into a swimming hole. The
poor critter was able to swim, but I don't remember seeing him come
around any longer. Children can be cruel.

Dr. Auric D. Hellman

Old November 14th 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kitten

I did remember a breed of Turkish cat who could and also enjoyed swimming,
confirmed, prodding gogole/wiki fine tuned it a bit more, producing this:

"The Turkish Van is a semi-long-haired breed of domestic cat, which was
developed in the .... The native Van cat landrace of Turkey have been
nicknamed the "swimming cats", due to an unusual fascination with water."

Thinking also that some Big Cats also enjoy water, if only to cool down, it
would make sense their smaller cousins have the potential.

Then there's my little Rat - not a swimming cat but an epileptic darling -
who would relax so much in her bath she'd float [while I kept her head above
water], and more than often she'd also fall asleep in the water, she didn't
seem to care much to swim in it though.
Could have been funny a cat swimming in circles - poor Rat I'm making light
of her epilepsy.

Plus I think my cats are weird, and have ruined me for all other cats.
Once a group of 12 rescues forced to live inside, they got along and behaved
more like a pack of tamed wolves, one dominant, one legs it and all the
others follow not even knowing why, only one thinks there might be a treat
and you end up surrounded by 12 hungry little bosses.
They've all had to suffer from a shower at least once, but Rat's
appreciation of water was not contagious.
Anyway, my tub isn't big enough for all to swim in, that would have been
funny too.