OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

Old March 21st 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...

For our friends in all the other countries -- what is the attitude
toward smoking there? Do many people still smoke? Is it banned in
restaurants, public buildings, hotels and such?
Thanks for the info.--I was just curious.

Hi

Here in the UK it is currently legal to smoke pretty much anywhere but
a ban on smoking in pubs, clubs and restaurants etc etc will come into
effect in 2007 unless there is a legal challenge mounted by someone
(one hotel chain in Scotland is doing so- Scotland got its ban a few
weeks ago). People will still be allowed to smoke outside for the
moment. A lot of pubs over the last few years have had designated no
smoking areas and one chain (Witherspoons I think) have already banned
smoking inside their pubs although you can smoke in the beer gardens I
gather (I don't much care for their pubs so I am unlikely to find out)

Many a restaurant is already no-smoking, as are cinemas, shopping centres,
libraries, shops and all sorts of places. For one, I'll be seriously glad
when the ban on smoking in pubs comes into place as I haven't been in a pub
for a long time as cigarette smoke makes me *ill*

Cheers, helen s

Old March 21st 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I don't think you can blame it on the "tobbacco lobby" - it has a great
deal more to do with how individual people regard smoking. (And there is
no such thing as a tobbacco lobby in Europe, where smoking in public is
still perfectly legal, almost everywhere.)

Don't kid yourself on there being no 'tobacco lobby' in Europe. There is a
very strong one - it's just that as time passes, the anti-smoking lobby gets
louder

Cheers, helen s

Old March 21st 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-21, wafflycat wrote:

Many a restaurant is already no-smoking, as are cinemas, shopping centres,
libraries, shops and all sorts of places. For one, I'll be seriously glad

Motion picture theaters have been non-smoking over here for many years.
The reason is fire prevention rather than second-hand smoke.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old March 21st 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

I know how you feel. There's a club here in Houston that I *LOVE* - great
atmosphere, they play great dance music (from the 50s to now), there's pool
tables and dart boards, and a really laid-back clientele (a bit older people
so there is never any bar fights or nastiness). My son even held his
birthday party there two years ago. Unfortunately I can't stay there longer
than an hour or two - by that time my lungs and throat are burning miserably
and will continue to do so for days afterwards. And I'm an ex-smoker -
think how much worse it must be for someone who has never smoked. Here in
Houston they've banned smoking in all businesses *EXCEPT* bars.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 21st 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Back on topic, I watched a movie, I believe it was a Stephen King
vignette, called "Quitters." This thread is eerily reminding me of that
movie! Ever seen it?

Isn't that one section of the movie Cat's Eye? The King story is called
"Quitter's Inc". Two other stories, whose names I can't remember, but
that are also by King, are the bases of the other two sections of Cat's
Eye. What ties them all together (rather thinly) is a striped tabby named
General (which also brings this thread totally on topic ). I've always
loved the third piece of the movie, with baby Drew Barrymore and her cat
General, who protects her from a little troll who tries to steal her
breath, and of course, her parents blame it on the cat.

Joyce

I didn't know that was Drew Barrymore!
The part that keeps coming to mind is when he's in traffic, and
crouches in the floor of the car to sneak a puff or two. Of course
"they" know, and abduct his wife and torture her with electric shock.
Then the other guy sucessfully quits, but gets fat in the process. So
as an incentive not to cheat on his diet, they start chopping off his
wife's fingers. . Maybe the government should implement this program.
It would no doubt have a very high success rate. sarcasm off
I hated the part where the cat gets shocked!

Sherry

Old March 21st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

CatNipped wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Fat Freddy wrote:

"Those who smoke out of doors are hurting only themselves, and so
far, that's still their right."

Then why do not heroin, cocaine, or meth addicts have that same
right?

Perhaps because their "drug of choice" impairs judgement? Aside
from the issue of "second-hand" smoke, tobbacco doesn't cause the
user to put the lives of others at risk! (On the other hand,
"driving under the influence.....")

The drugs could be made legal but driving under their influence kept
illegal - like alcohol. Also, to stretch a point, drivers who are
distracted by fishing out and lighting up a cigarette could (and do)
cause accidents.

Not nearly so many as those do drivers distracted by their cell-phone
conversations!

or eating Mcdonald's
trying to put on their makeup
or turned around and yelling at their kids

All at the same time! I bet it's happened.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 21st 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

There was a case reported here in the UK recently, a woman was caught
putting on her makeup, with a mirror in one hand and her makeup in the
other, neither hand was touching the steering wheel, this was at 30mph.

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4785686.stm

"Pwllheli Magistrates Court heard on Wednesday how Donna Marie Maddock, 22,
from Mold, was travelling at 32mph in a 40mph zone earlier this year.

She was using an eyeliner with one hand and a compact in the other.

Maddock was fined £200 after admitting careless driving. The court heard she
was banned last week for drink-driving."

The ban is for 20 months. Pity she wasn't banned for a lot longer!

Cheers, helen s