"Allergy-proofing" apt for boyfriend

Old April 19th 05, 10:07 PM
Jessica M.

Default "Allergy-proofing" apt for boyfriend

My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little darlins.
As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of hanging out at his
place all the time. He wants to come over but we're both afraid after
ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc, and it'll be a disaster.

Is there anything I can spray, whatever, to lessen the chances he'll
feel crummy once the dander get to him?
Old April 19th 05, 10:41 PM
Mary

"Jessica M." wrote in message
My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little darlins.
As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of hanging out at his
place all the time. He wants to come over but we're both afraid after
ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc, and it'll be a disaster.

Is there anything I can spray, whatever, to lessen the chances he'll
feel crummy once the dander get to him?

What is he taking for his allergies? I am allergic to cats and have two;
Claritin removes all signs of my allergies.

Old April 19th 05, 11:08 PM
John Doe

"Jessica M." wrote:

My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little
darlins. As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of
hanging out at his place all the time. He wants to come over but
we're both afraid after ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc,
and it'll be a disaster. Is there anything I can spray,
whatever, to lessen the chances he'll feel crummy once the
dander get to him?

A while back I've bought a TrueAir room air filter. It's just a
small blower type fan in a square box with a square filter which
is placed in one side. They sell replacement filters for $13. I
bought the best and biggest 3M air filter for $17 at Lowe's and
will get up to six replacement filters out of that (it takes some
practice. The filter cover on the box catches a lot of cat hair. I
vacuum the cat hair off of that when it becomes noticeable,
sometimes it's obvious. The filter inside should be removing
allergens. I think Kiki has been breathing very well lately. Seems
she has stopped sneezing for the first time ever in 10 years. She
is allergic to humans [kidding].

Good luck.

Old April 20th 05, 12:29 AM
Joe Canuck

Jessica M. wrote:

My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little darlins.
As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of hanging out at his
place all the time. He wants to come over but we're both afraid after
ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc, and it'll be a disaster.

Is there anything I can spray, whatever, to lessen the chances he'll
feel crummy once the dander get to him?

-Hepa air filter.
-Clean often, gets rid of the hair and dander.
-Allergy medication, I take Claritin myself.

Doing the last one, may lessen the need or completely eliminate the need
for the first two.

Not that you should stop cleaning.
Old April 20th 05, 12:52 AM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Jessica M. wrote:

My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little darlins.
As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of hanging out at his
place all the time. He wants to come over but we're both afraid after
ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc, and it'll be a disaster.

Is there anything I can spray, whatever, to lessen the chances he'll
feel crummy once the dander get to him?

-Hepa air filter.
-Clean often, gets rid of the hair and dander.
-Allergy medication, I take Claritin myself.

Doing the last one, may lessen the need or completely eliminate the need
for the first two.

I do exactly what you do--the Hepas are in the bedrooms
and the other places I spend the most time--office and
home theater.

Not that you should stop cleaning.

No, but you can get away with skipping it every now
and then without suffering too much!

Old April 20th 05, 03:00 AM
Mathew Kagis

"Jessica M." wrote in message
My new boyfriend is allergic to cats. I have two of the little darlins.
As silly as it is to say, we're getting tired of hanging out at his
place all the time. He wants to come over but we're both afraid after
ten minutes he'll start sneezing, etc, and it'll be a disaster.

Is there anything I can spray, whatever, to lessen the chances he'll
feel crummy once the dander get to him?

What everyone else said.... Plus (here's the herbal-medicine training
coming out) Feed him lots of Nettle tea, or nettle in capsules, or
tincture... However you can get him to take it. Make it a daily thing. It
won't get rid of allergic reactions, but it can significantly reduce the
severity of the reaction. (Nettle contains a natural anti-histamine).

Cheers

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat