Can cats get pimples?

Old June 8th 05, 02:49 AM
Zorin the Lynx

Default Can cats get pimples?

This recently showed up on my cat's chin, and I'm just wondering if I
should be concerned and schedule a vet trip, or if it's the equivalent
of a pimple and will go away soon:

http://zorin.org/share/temp/cat-pimple.jpg

Any ideas? Sorry for the poor quality of the shot; it's hard to hold a
cat still and take a picture at the same time!

-Z

--
Ned Flat: "Why are you acting like this??"
Yakko: "We're not acting. We really are like this."
Old June 8th 05, 03:05 AM
MaryL

I would schedule a visit with your vet and have this checked. In
addition, what type of bowls do you use for your cat's food and water?
Many cats develop acne from plastic bowls. Use only ceramic or
stainless steel and clean them frequently. In this case, though, I
would definitely have the spot checked first because acne usually shows
up in multiple places.

MaryL

Old June 8th 05, 03:18 AM
Zorin the Lynx

Hmm. Upon further investigation, I rubbed it gently with my finger and
the black part came off.. looked like a little black ball. He has what
looks like a tiny cut where it was; I suspect maybe he just hurt himself
playing or something and it was just dried blood from it.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if anything else
appears, otherwise a vet visit this weekend will be scheduled...

-Z

Old June 8th 05, 03:23 AM
Betsy

The plastic bowl idea is just a theory, and holds no water whatsoever. I
never used them until recently, and some of my cats had acne and some
didn't.

And if acne was so easily understood and cured, then I myself would not
still have it these many years post-teenage. Nor would the dermatologists
and cosmetic peddlers be making as much money as they are.

oups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 03:44 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-06-08, Zorin the Lynx wrote:
This recently showed up on my cat's chin, and I'm just wondering if I
should be concerned and schedule a vet trip, or if it's the equivalent
of a pimple and will go away soon:

http://zorin.org/share/temp/cat-pimple.jpg

Any ideas? Sorry for the poor quality of the shot; it's hard to hold a
cat still and take a picture at the same time!

Cats get chin acne for all sorts of reasons. It helps to avoid plastic
food bowls. Keep the bowls as clean as you can.

--
e-Harmony.com called the cops after I sent in my personality profile.
Old June 8th 05, 04:01 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:49:33 -0400, Zorin the Lynx wrote:

This recently showed up on my cat's chin, and I'm just wondering if I
should be concerned and schedule a vet trip, or if it's the equivalent of
a pimple and will go away soon:

http://zorin.org/share/temp/cat-pimple.jpg

Any ideas? Sorry for the poor quality of the shot; it's hard to hold a cat
still and take a picture at the same time!

-Z

IMHO Looks like an infected scratch. MLB
Old June 8th 05, 04:52 AM
Candy Cane

"Zorin the Lynx" wrote in message
This recently showed up on my cat's chin, and I'm just wondering if I
should be concerned and schedule a vet trip, or if it's the equivalent of
a pimple and will go away soon:

http://zorin.org/share/temp/cat-pimple.jpg

Any ideas?

Feline Acne. If you are using plastic bowels for food and water - toss them.
Switch over to ceramic glazed or stainless steel. Provide your cat with
clean dishes for every meal, as (hopefully) you would do for yourself.

Wash the area with hydrogen peroxide or an antibacterial soap daily for at
least 7 days. When my previous cat had this problem I washed her chin twice
a day - problem solved.

Old June 8th 05, 05:37 AM
Phil P.

"Zorin the Lynx" wrote in message
Hmm. Upon further investigation, I rubbed it gently with my finger and
the black part came off.. looked like a little black ball. He has what
looks like a tiny cut where it was; I suspect maybe he just hurt himself
playing or something and it was just dried blood from it.

It looks like feline acne to me. Here're a few pictures of different forms
of feline acne:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Dermatology...ine_Acne_2.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Dermatology.../Acne-Chin.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Dermatology...cne_chin_1.jpg

Yours looks like the first photo.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if anything else
appears, otherwise a vet visit this weekend will be scheduled...

You shouldn't scratch, squeeze or pick the comedone (blackhead) because
either can cause inflammation and also spread or drive bacteria deeper into
the glands and through the second layer of the skin.

The area around a cat's mouth and chin are loaded with sebaceous glands that
secrete sebum which cats use for marking. Sometimes these glands get
blocked and become a breeding ground for bacteria.

You can use warm damp (Epsom salt) compresses to help open up the ducts and
draw out sebum and bacteria. If there's no infection, keep the chin and
area around the mouth clean with just plain warm water or warm saline -
especially after your cat eats. Benzoyl peroxide and other human acne
remedies can be irritating to some cats- so I wouldn't use them.

If the blackheads don't clear up or new ones form, a trip to the vet will be
necessary to rule out underlying disease.

Good luck,

Phil

Old June 8th 05, 04:09 PM
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

If the OP does try the Benzoyl peroxide (which did help clear up my
Isabelle's zits) they should make sure it's the 2.5%. Many products found at
the pharmacy are 10% and would be too strong for the kitty. However, I
wouldn't try that unless simple cleaning of the bowls and kitty's chin
didn't do the trick.