my cat's tongue turned purple!

Old October 10th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default my cat's tongue turned purple!

My cat just got back from spending the weekend at the vet's because he needed
SubQ fluids and antibiotics -
I know my cat's tongue was red - now it's purple - think its the meds or a
reaction to the meds?

I'm assuming the vet would've noticed this before otherwise she won't have
sent him home. anyone else ever experience this?

Old October 10th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My cat just got back from spending the weekend at the vet's because he needed
SubQ fluids and antibiotics -
I know my cat's tongue was red - now it's purple - think its the meds or a
reaction to the meds?

I'm assuming the vet would've noticed this before otherwise she won't have
sent him home. anyone else ever experience this?

what an odd coincidence. Yesterday I noticed that Rudy's tongue was
purple! It's normally a very light pink. I looked in his mouth and
his gums and lips were still light pink like normal, so I figured it
wasn't heart related and forgot all about it until your post. Rudy is
3 years old and healthy. I'll be curious to know what your vet says
about it.

Old October 10th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Lynne wrote:
kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My cat just got back from spending the weekend at the vet's because he needed
SubQ fluids and antibiotics -
I know my cat's tongue was red - now it's purple - think its the meds or a
reaction to the meds?

I'm assuming the vet would've noticed this before otherwise she won't have
sent him home. anyone else ever experience this?

what an odd coincidence. Yesterday I noticed that Rudy's tongue was
purple! It's normally a very light pink. I looked in his mouth and
his gums and lips were still light pink like normal, so I figured it
wasn't heart related and forgot all about it until your post. Rudy is
3 years old and healthy. I'll be curious to know what your vet says
about it.

I just pried his mouth open to look and it's light pink again...
perhaps your cat's purple tongue will be transient as well?

Old October 10th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy Morgan

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote:

My cat just got back from spending the weekend at the vet's because he needed
SubQ fluids and antibiotics -
I know my cat's tongue was red - now it's purple - think its the meds or a
reaction to the meds?

I'm assuming the vet would've noticed this before otherwise she won't have
sent him home. anyone else ever experience this?

It might be from the meds or something he ate while there. (My tongue
turns purple when I eat blueberries.)

A purple tongue could also be an indication of shock (a drop in blood
pressure and the blood not picking up enough oxygen). What color are
his lips and gums? If they're a healthy normal color, I wouldn't worry
too much about it, but I would monitor it closely.

Another possibility is that he's developed a fungal infection on his
tongue. I've never heard of a cat with a mouth fungus, but we people
sometimes get them when antibiotics knock out the beneficial bacteria in
our mouths or when stress has weakened our immune systems, so I'd guess
the same thing could happen in a cat.

--
Kathy - If you're reading this in your web browser from Google or
similar forum, NNTP "newsreaders" are a better way to access the
Old October 10th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ron Herfurth

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
My cat just got back from spending the weekend at the vet's because he
needed
SubQ fluids and antibiotics -
I know my cat's tongue was red - now it's purple - think its the meds or a
reaction to the meds?

I'm assuming the vet would've noticed this before otherwise she won't have
sent him home. anyone else ever experience this?

One of my cats toung and mouth got purpleish when he wasn't breathing well.
An hour on oxygen and some other treatment helped.

Another had suspected liver problems from starving herself (due to being
dumped for the crime of being FIV). Both are better now.

I suggest having a vet look at the toung, my vet though both of my purple
toungs were pretty serious at the time.

ron