Another Buffy the Garage Cat update

Old August 3rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Another Buffy the Garage Cat update

The pictures don't come NEAR to showing how thin he really is, if you
have looked at them :-(

I purposely took them, as much as I could, to HIDE how thin he really
is.

I figured that the rescue organization *might* use one of them when he
goes up for adoption.

If I place my fingers just ahead of his hip bones, there is about than 3
cm of thickness there. On Kenzie, there is about 8cm there.

Buffy is dangerously, perniciously thin; like a picture of the people
who were found in Nazi 'concentration' camps, at the end of WWII. Like
those very few Jews who survived the planned extermination of every Jew
in all of the lands the Nazis temporarily captured, I look at Buffy, and
it's just hard to believe how horribly, terribly, thin he is.

But, despite all of his terrible hardship, he is just the sweetest cat
you could ever possibly imagine. All he wants is to be CONTINUOUSLY
held, and petted, and have his ears and chin scritched. And he has the
highest and fastest elevator butt I think I've ever seen

And he just absolutely LOVES getting belly rubs. But his poor belly is
*concave*, (curving inwards), instead of being convex, (curving outward)
as it should be. Or even be flat. He isn't *quite* as emaciated as
Kilikini's Miss Pua, when she first found her. But I think in a few
days, he wouldn't have even been able to walk.

Now I understand why he entered my garage, and wouldn't leave: he was
hiding from predators; a raccoon could have easily killed him, in his
weakened state. And a fox can catch and kill cat pretty easily, if they
don't make it to a tree in time to climb it. And as we all know, cats
hide whenever they are really sick. It's a survival instinct. Plus, of
course, he knew that cat food comes from *people*.

And of course there were the four 'light show'; moving search lights
that can be seen from 10 miles away. And the enormous flashing sign that
says 'A Cat Lover Lives Here'.

Very close to where I live (about 350 meters?) is a creek, a small
stream that would probably be called a river in Europe: at least when
the water is high. Along the banks of this creek, there is a lot of land
that is very much wild. It is home to many, many raccoons, and even a
few foxes. (I've seen them!)

Also, there is abundant prey; at least during the spring, summer, and
fall: mice, rats, chipmunks, voles, shrews, squirrels, snakes, ducks
(and ducklings, in the spring) large insects, Canada geese (and
goslings, in the spring), other waterfowl, ground hogs, and birds; lots
of birds. And I'm sure a LOT of other animal life I'm not aware of.

He must never have learned how to hunt, as a kitten. As I'm sure you
know, if a kitten isn't trained by it's mother just HOW to hunt, they
will never be any good at hunting. That's why some cats manage to
constantly catch mice, voles, birds, etc; and bring them home and
present them to their humans. (Or just eat them). And other cats who are
indoor/outdoor cats, never, ever catch ANYTHING at all.

I'm sure he is 'extra needy' after his terrible ordeal of near
starvation to death, in the middle of a big city. But, I'm POSITIVE that
he was just an EXTREMELY affectionate cat, just like my Lucky (RB) was.
He meows when I come into the garage. He purrs before I even touch him.
He tries to climb into my lap, while I'm kneeling on the garage floor,
filling his food or water dish, and scooping the litter box(!)

He will do anything and everything to receive any and all attention he
can get from me. I have been spending a LOT of time, sitting on the
garage floor, just petting him, and letting him sit in my lap.

Can you tell how attached I've already become to this beautiful,
wonderful, unfortunate abandoned kitty?

I would keep him in an instant, if Kenzie wasn't so determined to be The
Only Cat In The House.

I've tried to introduce new cats to Kenzie, using the techniques I've
learned on RPCA, and RPCH+B.

Kenzie is NOT going to allow another cat in HER house. She was an Only
Cat when I adopted her, and that is the she intends to KEEP it that way!
(Sigh...).

My first obligation is to Kenzie: I adopted her in 1999, and promised
the people who gave her to me to take care of her, and provide the very
best home possible, for the rest of her life. And, unfortunately for
Buffy Boy, that means NO OTHER CATS!!

But I'm sure, sooner or later, somebody will adopt this magnificent, and
incredibly affectionate kitty.

I'm just so sad it can't be me :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 3rd 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Gandalf" wrote in message

[...]

Purrs coming for Buffy to find his forever home very soon. Bless you for
helping him!!

Head Butts,

CatNipped

Old August 3rd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

But I'm sure, sooner or later, somebody will adopt this magnificent, and
incredibly affectionate kitty.

I'm just so sad it can't be me :-(

It does indeed sound like he was a housecat, and really got accustomed
to living in a loving house. I hope that his abandonment was not
deliberately done by some uncaring human.

And thank you so much for taking care of the little guy. You are doing
an excellent job of caring for him. It sounds like he will make someone
an excellent lifetime companion.

Dan
Old August 3rd 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

My first obligation is to Kenzie: I adopted her in 1999, and promised
the people who gave her to me to take care of her, and provide the very
best home possible, for the rest of her life. And, unfortunately for
Buffy Boy, that means NO OTHER CATS!!

But I'm sure, sooner or later, somebody will adopt this magnificent, and
incredibly affectionate kitty.

I'm just so sad it can't be me :-(

I'll bet! He sounds spectacular. I wish *I* could take in another cat -
I'd be making travel arrangements for him right now.

But with his personality, he'll probably find a new human to boss
around pretty soon. You just have to get some weight on him first. Sounds
like you're doing a great job with him!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 3rd 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Gandalf" wrote in message

[...]

I strongly sympathize with you, but feel you're making the right decision.
I once had a friend who had a cat for several years. Then she acquired
another one - a three-legged cat. The two didn't get along, so she gave
away the original cat. A few years later, she decided she wanted a kitten,
and she felt that a kitten would be too rough for the one-legged cat, so she
gave the latter away. I could never feel the same about her after that.

Joy

Old August 3rd 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Gandalf wrote:

But I'm sure, sooner or later, somebody will adopt this magnificent, and
incredibly affectionate kitty.

I'm just so sad it can't be me :-(

You are doing a great job, Gandalf, and I wish you all th luck in the
world in finding a good home for Buffy.

He must leave a lot of his scent on you every time you visit him. How
does Kenzie react to his scent? (i'm not trying to pressure you into
keeping him, I'm just wondering what she is making of all this. She must
be aware by now that you are 'seeing' another cat.)

Old August 3rd 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Gandalf" wrote in message

The pictures don't come NEAR to showing how thin he really is, if you
have looked at them :-(

I purposely took them, as much as I could, to HIDE how thin he really
is.

I figured that the rescue organization *might* use one of them when he
goes up for adoption.

If I place my fingers just ahead of his hip bones, there is about than 3
cm of thickness there. On Kenzie, there is about 8cm there.

And I thought MCG was skinny when we first got her. I thought she was an
oriental at first. Nope, a regular moggy who probably weighed about half of
what she was supposed to weigh.

Buffy is adorable and I know you will help him find a perfect home, even
though it can't be with you.

Pam S.

Old August 3rd 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:56:46 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Gandalf wrote:

But I'm sure, sooner or later, somebody will adopt this magnificent, and
incredibly affectionate kitty.

I'm just so sad it can't be me :-(

You are doing a great job, Gandalf, and I wish you all th luck in the
world in finding a good home for Buffy.

He must leave a lot of his scent on you every time you visit him. How
does Kenzie react to his scent? (i'm not trying to pressure you into
keeping him, I'm just wondering what she is making of all this. She must
be aware by now that you are 'seeing' another cat.)

Kenzie hasn't reacted at all to the other cat's scent. Interesting
observation; I don't think Kenzie has *ever* reacted to another cat's
scent, before.

When I am nearby, I stop in and visit the inmates at the local Inhumane
Society.

They often have beautiful cats, with the reason(s) on their cage card
for surrendering the cat listed as: 1) responsibility is too much. 2)
cannot afford 3)Takes too much time. And other mind numbingly stupid
reasons.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot: why did these idiots even GET a cat in the first
place? Cats need to be fed, at least twice a day. Their litter box needs
to be cleaned, usually once a day. They need regular vet care. Young
cats usually only needs vaccinations. But, just like people, they can
and do get sick, which requires vet care. Cats also require a certain
amount of attention. They are curious, and affectionate little beings;
they crave attention, in the form of petting, scritching, and playing.

THAT'S WHY PEOPLE GET A CAT. For the wonderful affection and company
they provide.

People who get cats or kittens, without considering the consequences of
their action, are nothing but oxygen thieves. They should at all costs
be prevented from procreating, thereby lowering the collective IQ of the
entire human race significantly. Rant off.

Even when I've been to the Inhumane Society, and have handles and petted
any number of the kitty prisoners, there; Kenzie has never reacted to
the scents of those other cats.

Perhaps she is secure in her position as The Only Cat In The House, and
doesn't consider only the scent of another cat to be a 'threat' to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Truly, I have never thought of this before.
Old August 3rd 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

People who get cats or kittens, without considering the consequences of
their action, are nothing but oxygen thieves. They should at all costs
be prevented from procreating, thereby lowering the collective IQ of the
entire human race significantly. Rant off.

I cannot disagree with that statement, and I could not express it better.
Old August 3rd 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

They often have beautiful cats, with the reason(s) on their cage card
for surrendering the cat listed as: 1) responsibility is too much. 2)
cannot afford 3)Takes too much time. And other mind numbingly stupid
reasons.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot: why did these idiots even GET a cat in the first
place? Cats need to be fed, at least twice a day. Their litter box needs
to be cleaned, usually once a day. They need regular vet care. Young
cats usually only needs vaccinations. But, just like people, they can
and do get sick, which requires vet care. Cats also require a certain
amount of attention. They are curious, and affectionate little beings;
they crave attention, in the form of petting, scritching, and playing.

THAT'S WHY PEOPLE GET A CAT. For the wonderful affection and company
they provide.

A lot of people have either never had a pet before, or perhaps grew up
with pets but didn't have to do any of the caretaking because the adults
did it, so they have no idea what it really takes. All they know is "Cute
kitty!!" - and they want one. I'm not convinced this makes them idiots,
but they are clearly uneducated about the realities.

Many shelters and rescue groups do try to provide that education before
letting people adopt, but if someone has never actually done it before,
then it's still pretty abstract. It's like, "Yeah, yeah, get them the
shots, scoop the litter, I get it - GIVE ME THE KITTY!" You wonder if
they're even listening. I think everyone should be required to show proof
that they've done X number of petsitting jobs (or shelter volunteer jobs)
before they can adopt.

Unfortunately, all too many people have *babies* for the same reason.

--
Joyce ^..^