Hills Prescription Diet

Old February 24th 04, 07:21 PM
Michael B Allen

Default Hills Prescription Diet

At one time our cat (Mozart) had a little problem with holding down
ordinary food so the vet sold us Hills Prescription Diet Feline W/D
and we've been buying it ever since (several years). Do you think it's
necessary to keep buying this food? Is there any harm in continuing to
give this food to our cat? Can someone recommend a suitable alternative?

Thanks,
Mike
Old February 24th 04, 09:27 PM
fan

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:21:11 -0500, Michael B Allen
wrote:

At one time our cat (Mozart) had a little problem with holding down
ordinary food so the vet sold us Hills Prescription Diet Feline W/D
and we've been buying it ever since (several years). Do you think it's
necessary to keep buying this food? Is there any harm in continuing to
give this food to our cat? Can someone recommend a suitable alternative?

Thanks,
Mike

You could try gradually changing to a premium quality cat food. You
could also feed both, side by side. Unless there is another reason for
giving W/D, aside from "holding it down", it shouldn't be necessary to
continue it, in my personal opinion. IF the problem was hairballs,
there are premium cat foods with additives already in them. Also there
are over-the-counter additives if the food doesn't already contain
them.

I would certainly ask your vet for an opinion, changing food is a
deceptively important issue.

Old February 25th 04, 06:41 PM
fan

From: fan

Unless there is another reason for
giving W/D, aside from "holding it down", it shouldn't be necessary to
continue it, in my personal opinion.

Check with your vet first before taking stranger's advice about changing from a
Prescription Diet to something else.

IF the problem was hairballs,
there are premium cat foods with additives already in them. Also there
are over-the-counter additives if the food doesn't already contain
them.

To my knowledge, there aren't ANY "hairball foods" that have additives in them
with the express purpose of controlling hairballs.

Are you simply agreeing with my statement in this post that said "I
would certainly ask your vet for an opinion, changing food is a
deceptively important issue." ? My reason for asking is that you
quoted almost all of my post, but left that out. It is vitally
important to check with the vet, not just a good idea.

I did an Internet search for +"cat food" +"hairball control" and got
996 hits. These are the first four of them. They include big names and
small companies.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pCatId=10076
http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?search=action&keywords="hairball_food s"
http://www.petco.com/search/mercado_...cm_ite=1665530
http://www.chateau-animaux.com/product-product_id/632

Obviously, with that many hits there are many more hairball control
foods out there. I have seen several major brands at the local pet
food stores. Also, I do not know how effective any of them are, I just
know they exist.

Old February 25th 04, 06:41 PM
fan