What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 14th 05, 11:01 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Karen penned:

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
news:F9XFd.82983$nN6.44253@edtnps84...

I work in the Food & Beverage industry. I'm a Sommelier, currently I work
at a small fine dinning steak house & martini lounge. I serve/ bartend/
supervise & most importantly, buy the booze & write the wine list. --
Mathew Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat En Vino Veritas

OOoo. That explains the kitties names!! I would love to be a sommelier.

I haven't looked up what "sommelier" means yet, and I'm not a wine fan, but I
think working at a steak house would be a little too much of a good thing for
me! Yum!

*wondering if she should ask Eric to bring home some steak tonight ... *

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 14th 05, 11:03 PM
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money?
I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married
to a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the
US army.

Pam S.

Currently unemployed, former software tech support and QA Testing person;
proprietary software running on a Unix platform.

Jill

Old January 14th 05, 11:06 PM
Jo Firey

I'm a retired CPA who is trying to decide if I really want to do any tax
returns this year or not.

Jo
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know we
have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for one)
and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you want, but I
confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out of work, you
don't have to say so, just list your career field.

Old January 14th 05, 11:07 PM
Jo Firey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Mathew Kagis wrote:
I work in the Food & Beverage industry. I'm a Sommelier, currently I
work
at a small fine dinning steak house & martini lounge. I serve/ bartend/
supervise & most importantly, buy the booze & write the wine list.

Awesome! I love wine and would love to be a wine buyer... or an exotic
food buyer...

--

They do get invited to some really cool conventions.

Jo

Old January 14th 05, 11:10 PM
Tanada

On 2005-01-14, Victor Martinez penned:

I am a process control engineer kinda married to a TV producer and host,
writer, teacher, and garden designer.

"kinda married"? Is that like being a little bit pregnant? =P

With the laws being as short sighted as they are about gay marriages,
sorts married is about the right term. The two have been together
longer than a lot of heterosexual couples, but aren't allowed by law to
make it formal. Seems unfair to me, why shouldn't they be as miserable
as the rest of us. :-)

Pam S. teasing Victor, Tom and the rest of the gay couples out there

Old January 14th 05, 11:13 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
I'm a retired CPA who is trying to decide if I really want to do any
tax returns this year or not.

Jo

Even your own? (teasing)

Jill

Old January 14th 05, 11:19 PM
Victor Martinez

Tanada wrote:
With the laws being as short sighted as they are about gay marriages,
sorts married is about the right term. The two have been together
longer than a lot of heterosexual couples, but aren't allowed by law to

We'll be celebrating our 8th anniversary in April.

make it formal. Seems unfair to me, why shouldn't they be as miserable
as the rest of us. :-)

It's not just the miserable part though... As it stands now, if Tom
were to be hospitalized and unconscious, I would not have the right to
be by his side. If I were to die, all the assets that I own that I have
willed to Tom would be taxed at 50% (or something ridiculous like that),
whereas if he were my husband there would be no tax. The list of
unfairness goes on and on...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 14th 05, 11:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Tanada penned:

On 2005-01-14, Victor Martinez penned:

I am a process control engineer kinda married to a TV producer and host,
writer, teacher, and garden designer.

"kinda married"? Is that like being a little bit pregnant? =P

With the laws being as short sighted as they are about gay marriages, sorts
married is about the right term. The two have been together longer than a
lot of heterosexual couples, but aren't allowed by law to make it formal.
Seems unfair to me, why shouldn't they be as miserable as the rest of us.
:-)

Pam S. teasing Victor, Tom and the rest of the gay couples out there

ooooh yeah. I forgot.

*sigh*

Don't get me started on my rant about how stupid anti-gay-marriage laws are =/

Old January 14th 05, 11:28 PM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
I'm a retired CPA who is trying to decide if I really want to do any
tax returns this year or not.

Jo

Even your own? (teasing)

Jill

Not nice!

I just finished last years.

One argument for doing a few for others is it will pay for the good software
I like to use but can't justify buying just to do mine.

My rule is I don't do my own return till I've finished everyone else's.
Usually like this year it gets done on October 15th.

Jo

Old January 14th 05, 11:30 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Victor Martinez penned:

make it formal. Seems unfair to me, why shouldn't they be as miserable as
the rest of us. :-)

It's not just the miserable part though... As it stands now, if Tom were
to be hospitalized and unconscious, I would not have the right to be by his
side. If I were to die, all the assets that I own that I have willed to Tom
would be taxed at 50% (or something ridiculous like that), whereas if he
were my husband there would be no tax. The list of unfairness goes on and
on...

Fine, get me started on my rant!

Actually, you've made a lot of the points I was going to make.

The insurance at both my employer and my husband's will cover "life partners,"
so at least that's one small step.

Honestly, I don't understand what is going on in people's heads. I've heard
people argue that marriage is for procreation ... but if that's the case, why
do hetero couples with no intention to have children get to be married, while
gay couples who do have kids don't get those benefits? It makes no sense!

Some days, I just hate people =/