[OT] Bikini Waxing

Old June 9th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Bikini Waxing

On 2006-06-09, CatNipped penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
That's fine for those who have peach-fuzz and call it hair, but
dense black curlies sticking out of a spaghetti strap top is not my
idea of lovely.

That's because that's what our culture tells everyone, of course. Men
wear tank tops all the time and don't worry about their body hair
sticking out (plus clumps of deoderant! ewwww!).

If you ask me, which you didn't, I say that people without body hair
look prepubescent, which fortunately doesn't turn me on!

PS -- if your bikini area hasn't worn a bikini in years, why are
you messing with it, anyway?

Because I am the extreme opposite of folicle-ly challenged - even a
regular swimsuit would be embarrassing if I didn't remove the hair
there (picture a thickly-bearded man trying to contain his facial
hair with dental floss!!!).

Well, obviously you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. My
mom tried to shame me into shaving, and even told me, "If you weren't
dating [ex-bf], you would have to shave to get a boyfriend." Hrmph!
Hasn't been true thus far in my life, and obviously that kind of BS is
what I'm still reacting to (sub)consciously today.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 9th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

That's because that's what our culture tells everyone, of course. Men
wear tank tops all the time and don't worry about their body hair
sticking out (plus clumps of deoderant! ewwww!).

What kills me is when people talk about shaving legs, etc, as an
important part of a woman's hygiene. If that's true, then men must not
be very hygienic! (Which may be true of some guys, but isn't true of
men as a group.)

My mom tried to shame me into shaving, and even told me, "If you weren't
dating [ex-bf], you would have to shave to get a boyfriend." Hrmph!

Ha - lots of guys like women with leg and armpit hair. In many parts
of the world, that is the norm, and I don't just mean in countries where
most people are too poor to worry about such things.

Joyce
Old June 9th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2006-06-09, CatNipped penned:
[...]

Yeah, I can see where you'd rebel - that was an awful thing to say (but then
reading about your mom, that one doesn't surprise me).

I think some of my feelings about this issue come from having grown up in a
different era. I certainly don't think I should tell someone else what's
right for them, I'm a *FIRM* believer in "different strokes for different
folks".

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 9th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

, but my neighbour does and when she wants to go on
holiday she has a beauty therapist come to her home the week before for
not much money, apparently and sort her out. Do you have this service
where you are?

Tweed

Yes. However, it's not really the expense, it's the embarrassment factor
that stops me. If I were young with firm skin and a bit of peach fuzz
where it shouldn't be I'd give it a try - but sadly that ship has long
since sailed. ;

Don't be so daft. People with firm skin and peach fuzz don't need a beauty
therapist.
I'm sure that you would not need to be embarrassed, they've seen all sorts
after all.
Myself, I've decided to age gracefully. I have some grey hairs now. I will
not dye my hair for vanity. I like to think of my grey hairs being a sign
of wisdom through experience.

Tweed

Old June 9th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Don't know if this might be of help but if you're interested in a one-piece
swimsuit with a more modest leg cut, Costco has them (Speedo brand) for
about $20 -- I bought my 13-yr-old daughter one in a women's size 6 for just
that very reason and it solved the issue for us. Just be aware that Speedos
run small and get one size bigger.
Christine

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Does anyone do it themselves???

I usually just shave, but my daughter said waxing is *much* better

(never
any razor burn or bumps, no stubble, etc.), so I figured I'd give it a
try. Not having 100% visual access to the site I wanted waxed, I

thought
to enlist DH's help (OK, in retrospect, it was not a good idea to ask
someone whom you've ever argued with to do this particular job for

you).

I'd bought the wax that's not supposed to need microwaving beforehand

(I
didn't want any nasty burns on that part of my body) - it's supposed to
work with just you rubbing the outer part of the paper strip to warm

the
wax.

First, never try to balance an open jar of wax on a bed when there are
cats in the room who are 18 pounds and might jump on the bed, and

*NEVER*
open a jar of coconut-smelling wax in front of Sammy (don't ask me how
I'm going to get the wax off of Sammy's face!).

Second, when a product comes with a jar of Benzocaine for post
application pain deadening, it might be a good idea to go with another
method of hair removal.

Ben finally got the wax applied in a smooth, transparent layer, put the
strip of paper over it, smoothed/warmed the wax, and, firmly holding my
skin taut (OK, after a certain age skin has to be *held* taut, it

doesn't
do that on its own), quickly yanked the strip off my skin. That is, he
yanked my skin, along with the strip, off of my bikini area (why do

they
call it a bikini area when that area hasn't seen a bikini in 30
years???).

Oh, look, there's only a few measly hairs on the strip, most of them

are
still on the bikini area. So Ben puts the strip back on my bikini area
(um, sweetie, don't the instructions say that you're not supposed to go
over the same area twice?), and gives it another yank. After he peels

me
off the ceiling, he looks and, lo and behold, there are still hairs on

my
bikini area. Before I can yell *STOP* he has put the strip back on my
bikini area for a third try. This time when he yanks it off I have his
head firmly between my hands so he can't go looking for more errant
hairs.

I hobbled into the bathroom, looking like a cowboy who has ridden his
horse for too long, to look at the damage. I am *BLEEDING* around the
roots of the hairs that have *still* not come out. My skin is beet

red,
and looks more horrible than it *ever* has after shaving.

Has anyone ever had *success* using a wax on your "bikini area", and,

if
so, what brand/method do you use (OK, I am willing to try it again -
nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the shed).

Pay the extra few dollars and get a beauty therapist to do it for you.

I'm lucky in that I have no arm hairs, no leg hairs and don't need my
bikini line doing, but my neighbour does and when she wants to go on

Old June 9th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

No, I won't dye my hair either - it's too expense to keep up with if you go
to a beauty salon, and too easily messed up if you try to do it yourself (at
least for me it is).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 10th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Does anyone do it themselves???

I usually just shave, but my daughter said waxing is *much* better

TMI! Wax is a pain (literally) Try Nair or something similar but keep the
stuff away from the cats!

Jill

Old June 10th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

Does anyone do it themselves???

Not only no, but heck no!

OK, but you get to wear boxer trunks at the beach if you want to - I don't
think they make those for women (but they should - not every women looks
like Cindy Crawforn in a swimsuit!!!). ;

But not every swimsuit requires a "bikini" wax, either!
Certainly every one I've ever had covered that area more
than adequately. (Even my "midriff" hasn't seen the sun
for a lot of years.)

Old June 10th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Does anyone do it themselves???

I usually just shave, but my daughter said waxing is *much* better (never
any razor burn or bumps, no stubble, etc.), so I figured I'd give it a
try. Not having 100% visual access to the site I wanted waxed, I thought
to enlist DH's help (OK, in retrospect, it was not a good idea to ask
someone whom you've ever argued with to do this particular job for you).

Oh my. The memories. So glad I've finally got that degree of "self
torture" out of my system.

I decided quite some time ago that any body hair that was that difficult to
remove should just plain stay covered by clothing.

As it is, I still get spells of thinking I'm perfectly capable of waxing my
legs. And I'm always sorry when I get done. Just is never as easy as the
various products claim.

I even lucked out and found a place where I take the kids for haircuts and
where I can get my eyebrows waxed. Between my eyesight and arthritis it is
just too hard to do myself. Its only $9.00 and it gives me a good excuse
not to even try to pluck between visits.

Jo

Old June 10th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

This exact scenario has happened between me and Dennis on several
occasions. Usually in 3 year intervals. I think I've finally gotten to
the point where I'm not willing to try again.
If only my hair wasn't strawberry blond, I would have just had it
permanently lasered off in Thailand. But alas, I am destined to shave
forever...
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

WAH! [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 0 December 27th 05 06:56 PM
Need Job Purrs [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 32 May 17th 05 01:49 PM
What colour candles? [OT] jmcquown Cat anecdotes 15 May 11th 05 01:49 PM
[OT] Warning for bird owners (and parents of small children) Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 9 May 10th 05 06:17 PM
Beer Golf [OT] jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 May 4th 05 02:53 PM