Cat-proofing for the holidays

Old October 7th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GaryT

Default Cat-proofing for the holidays

Our relatively new (7 month old) cat is still somewhat feisty. Outside she
is a tree climber, inside she likes to get up on counters and explore when
we are not around to supervise, which means of course that things get pulled
off, including having broken three flower vases. In anticipation of the
holidays, we are looking for suggestions for keeping her out of the
decorations. In particular, keeping her out of the Christmas tree and the
risks of tipping it over, breaking ornaments, etc. We would prefer to not
resort to the negative type suggestions - "just don't have a tree, lights,
etc" - unless there are no other alternatives. We have seen unbreakable (and
unfortunately ugly) ornaments. Some way to discourage her from even entering
that room would be ideal, but some kind of tree guard or other suggestions
to prevent destructive behavior are appreciated.

Gary

Old October 7th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:52:28 -0700, "GaryT"
wrote:

Our relatively new (7 month old) cat is still somewhat feisty. Outside she
is a tree climber, inside she likes to get up on counters and explore when
we are not around to supervise, which means of course that things get pulled
off, including having broken three flower vases. In anticipation of the
holidays, we are looking for suggestions for keeping her out of the
decorations. In particular, keeping her out of the Christmas tree and the
risks of tipping it over, breaking ornaments, etc. We would prefer to not
resort to the negative type suggestions - "just don't have a tree, lights,
etc" - unless there are no other alternatives. We have seen unbreakable (and
unfortunately ugly) ornaments. Some way to discourage her from even entering
that room would be ideal, but some kind of tree guard or other suggestions
to prevent destructive behavior are appreciated.

Back when we used a fake tree, our cats knocked it over twice. After
that, we used fishing line to tie it up. Basically, we situated the
tree in a corner, and tied the tree with fishing line in two different
directions.

It didn't prevent them from climbing the tree, but it did prevent them
from knocking it over.

Old October 7th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:52:28 -0700 from GaryT
:
In anticipation of the
holidays, we are looking for suggestions for keeping her out of the
decorations. In particular, keeping her out of the Christmas tree and the
risks of tipping it over, breaking ornaments, etc.

Keep her distracted with toys of her own. Maybe get one of those cat
condo things, but be sure it's returnable if she doesn't use it.

But secure the Christmas tree anyway. Our family has lost two of them
to cats. You need to screw a small eyelet into each of two different
spots in the wood frames of your windows or doors and then use wire
(not twine) to secure the tree trunk to them. That will be enough to
prevent the tree crashing down if she climbs in it and overbalances
it through being too far on one side of the trunk.

This is a good precaution anyway, if any human toddlers will be
visiting.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Old October 7th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GaryT

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Good reminder. One year we had a tree fall over during a wedding reception
in our home, and no one was even near by. I think it was just at the tipping
point and the air movement was enough to set it off.

I was particularly wondering if there were any sort of barriers, like a
clear cylinder that could go around the tree and would be a discouragement
from batting the ornaments, drinking the water, etc., or even a way to wall
off the room in a way that was convenient for people to have egress. There
is a wide entry way and no door. I thought perhaps there may be some
commercial products that are designed for pet blockades. Motion triggered
sounds that would encourage them to leave the area would also be a
possibility.

Gary

Old October 7th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I would not put up a tree with a kitty that young - you are asking for
trouble until they are at least three - and then they still need some
training!

Old October 8th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:55:40 -0700, "GaryT"
wrote:

Good reminder. One year we had a tree fall over during a wedding reception
in our home, and no one was even near by. I think it was just at the tipping
point and the air movement was enough to set it off.

I was particularly wondering if there were any sort of barriers, like a
clear cylinder that could go around the tree and would be a discouragement
from batting the ornaments, drinking the water, etc., or even a way to wall
off the room in a way that was convenient for people to have egress. There
is a wide entry way and no door. I thought perhaps there may be some
commercial products that are designed for pet blockades. Motion triggered
sounds that would encourage them to leave the area would also be a
possibility.

We've never done much to discourage the cats. They tend to bat at
lower ornaments, so we don't put much down that low. They really only
tried to climb it as kittens.

We did have a problem for a few years with a blind dog. The first year
she was blind, we walked into the room and found her standing under
the tree with a loop of tinsel or lights around her neck. Fortunately,
she was a very calm, easy going dog; so she stood there waiting for a
rescue instead of panicking and bringing down the tree.

After that, we bought some foam core, cut it out like a a little
picket fence (with rounded tops) and decorated it. The fence was only
a foot tall, and went around the tree. After that, anytime she bumped
into it, she would just turn and walk away. We were still able to put
presents under the tree. We just had an extra decoration that acted as
a protector for the dog.

Old October 8th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Back when we used a fake tree, our cats knocked it over twice. After
that, we used fishing line to tie it up. Basically, we situated the
tree in a corner, and tied the tree with fishing line in two different
directions.

It didn't prevent them from climbing the tree, but it did prevent them
from knocking it over.

Yes, secure with fishing line. I've also read that you can put the
tree inside a baby pack n play/play pen, but I haven't tried this. You
can place citrus peelings around the base of the tree to discourage
them from going there (don't like the smell) but you will have to
replace the peelings every few days.

Use unbreakable ornaments or simply don't have ornaments on the lower
branches. They do make some nice looking plastic ornaments now. DH and
I bought a bunch of them on clearance last year.

If you do see your cat in the tree, make sure she's not chewing on the
light cords! Check the cords periodically for damage.

On the bright side, after this year, you won't have to worry so
much. . .