Mom visits for a week, cats go catatonic

Old October 1st 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

Default Mom visits for a week, cats go catatonic

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:48:19 PM UTC-4, Judith Latham wrote:

Oh yes, Several times I thought just that when I was about to go

berzerk. Teaching her

When it comes to taking out library books, there's nothing like

going to the library. An actual library! You browse the shelves,

looking for titles, subjects or authors of interest. Look in the

card catalog. Libraries are wonderful places I don't read books

on the computer, either. I love holding a book in my hands.

Jill

The attitude towards technology varies by individual; it isn't just a

matter of age. I gave my parents a computer, and, as far as I could

tell, they never turned it on. On the other hand, my father's older

brother loved email, since it meant that he could send letters to his

friends and get back a response the same day, and without having to

pay postage charges.

Oh, I'm not dissing technology. Of course it varies by individual. I

worked as a software support analyst for many years. I also did QA

testing.

When my father was in his 70's he wanted to get a computer. My mother

nixed that idea, saying it would just be one more thing for her to

dust! LOL I'm pretty sure he would have been extremely frustrated by

it. At any rate, he didn't have any old pals left to email letters

to. His surviving sister didn't even own a coffee maker, much less a

computer. It would have been a waste of money.

I like holding a book in my hand. I read a lot of books.

Jill

I read a lot of books, too. I own a Kindle, which is great for

traveling (I don't have to lug so many books around), but I much prefer

real books at home.

Both computers and books have their uses, and I take full advantage of

both.

Joy

I have to admit that I love books. I love to read them, the smell of them,

the feel of them and the look of them They can be an adventure in

themselves besides the tale they tell.

I do have kindles though and that's another story.

I can't remember if I posted about my christmas present the year before

last. I had been very emphatic that I didn't ever want a Kindle. DH

couldn't think of a thing to get me for my present and the girls in his

office at work kept on at him that if I liked books and gadgets (I do)

than I'd like a Kindle, he argued that I'd said I didn't want one but they

poo pooed that and said that once I'd got one I'd love it.

Christmas morning when I opened my present, my face apparently said it

all. DH calls it my Kindle face. However within a couple of hours I quite

liked it. DH never got over my expression that morning and he bought me a

tassimo coffee maker to make up for my disappointment. Two presents! seems

like the Kindle face was a good idea, can't do it too often though.

This year I bought myself a paper white Kindle so now I have two. I still

prefer my real books but it's so handy to take about with me.

As you say why not take advantage of both.

Judith

--

Judith Latham

Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I used to think I won't like an e-reader as I also like the feel of a
book in my hands. But I have since changed my mind.
I like being able to change the fonts on an e-reader as my eyesight isn't what it used to be.
Large print books are too heavy. I like checking out e-books from the library.
No more lugging heavy books to and from the library, especially in the brutal
winter. No more overdue library book fines. No more dealing with stained and dirty library books.

I usually just browse the library catalog online. Reserve a book and go pick
it up when it is available. Doing the same with e-books, except for the trip
to the library. Like many seniors, I don't drive
Recently I heard some libraries have bed bugs problems.
No bed bugs on e-books.
I know many seniors like using e-readers for similar reasons.
A friend taught a class in which seniors learn how to use
tablets/e-readers and how to check out books from libraries.
I used to help teach classes on basic computer use to seniors.
Some of these seniors went on to take more advanced classes and are now
more proficient than me. And I was a software designer for many years.

Winnie
Old October 2nd 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Rusty" wrote in message
[...]

I would probably use my e-reader more than I do, except for one thing. I
eat my meals sitting in my recliner, using a lap tray. I have a book rack
that props up a book on the tray so I can read while I'm eating. I tried
that with the Kindle, but it rests on the off switch, so it turns itself
off.

Joy

Old October 2nd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 20:48:19 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 12:20 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:45:20 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

On 9/30/2013 1:24 PM, dgk wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:28:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
My 85 year old mother is visiting for the week, which is mostly
why I haven't been posting. We've been hitting all the museums
and galleries - my art quota for the year has been exceeded with
three months still to go.

Scooter came down from my bedroom to say hello within 20 minutes
of her arrival. Nipsy took four days, skulking around and spying
on Mom from various hiding places but yesterday he apparently
decided that she was just another piece of furniture and has been
visible although not to the petting stage.

Even Marlo, the most skittish of the brood, began showing her
pretty face yesterday. So Mom arrived Friday and it only took
until Wednesday before the skittish members of the household
decided that she doesn't bite. They're wrong, but her bite tends
to be more mental.

She's here until Sunday morning and today is solo at the house
since I had to go to work today for a very important meeting that
just got cancelled. Worse, she's having a friend over.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to come up with some special
temptations to reward them for their tolerance.

I can only say that when my mother died suddenly, I wished I still
had her to be such a nuisance. You won't have her for ever so
value her while you can.

Tweed

Oh yes, Several times I thought just that when I was about to go
berzerk. Teaching her how to take out library books on her Kindle
Fire involved several of those times. It iisn't really
straightforward though, but I know nothing about the Kindle HD nor
how to take out books so it was a learning experience. By then
Scooter was willing to offer his advice.

Oh dear! I don't know how old your mother is, but some people are
simply not geared towards fancy technology.

[...]

You use the real books to give the cats something to sit on while you
read the Kindle.
Old October 2nd 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:31:11 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

Winnie

I would probably use my e-reader more than I do, except for one thing. I
eat my meals sitting in my recliner, using a lap tray. I have a book rack
that props up a book on the tray so I can read while I'm eating. I tried
that with the Kindle, but it rests on the off switch, so it turns itself
off.

Joy

Yes, that was very poor design, I had that on the Kindle Touch.
Luckily it broke and I replaced it with the non-Touch version which I
much prefer. That still has the button on the bottom but does not
protrude enough to shut off.
Old October 4th 13, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message

You use the real books to give the cats something to sit on while you
read the Kindle.

I'll have to remember that, I've just ordered my first Kindle.
--
Adrian

I prefer to go to the library and get real books..
My s i l has a Kindle, it's not for me.

Tell me if you like it in six months, rather than going to a library.
Maybe it's better in some ways, but it's limited.
I can read any books free from my local library, why would you want to pay
for them via Kindle?

Tweed

Old October 4th 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message

You use the real books to give the cats something to sit on while you
read the Kindle.

I'll have to remember that, I've just ordered my first Kindle.
--
Adrian

I prefer to go to the library and get real books..
My s i l has a Kindle, it's not for me.

Tell me if you like it in six months, rather than going to a library.
Maybe it's better in some ways, but it's limited.
I can read any books free from my local library, why would you want to pay
for them via Kindle?

Tweed

After I got my Kindle, a friend sent me a number of books, using Dropbox.
They didn't cost me a thing. There are also a number of free books
available for Kindles.

Joy

Old October 4th 13, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Friday, October 4, 2013 5:19:39 PM UTC-4, Joy wrote:

I can read any books free from my local library, why would you want to pay

for them via Kindle?

Tweed

After I got my Kindle, a friend sent me a number of books, using Dropbox.

They didn't cost me a thing. There are also a number of free books

available for Kindles.

Joy

Kindle is incompatible with Canadian libraries.
That was the main reason I didn't get a Kindle.
But you can use it to check out books from U.S. libraries.
Like I mentioned in a previous post, having an e-reader
save me trips to and from the libraries lugging heavy
large print books. -- Winnie
Old October 4th 13, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Rusty" wrote in message
On Friday, October 4, 2013 5:19:39 PM UTC-4, Joy wrote:

I can read any books free from my local library, why would you want to
pay

for them via Kindle?

Tweed

After I got my Kindle, a friend sent me a number of books, using Dropbox.

They didn't cost me a thing. There are also a number of free books

available for Kindles.

Joy

Kindle is incompatible with Canadian libraries.
That was the main reason I didn't get a Kindle.
But you can use it to check out books from U.S. libraries.
Like I mentioned in a previous post, having an e-reader
save me trips to and from the libraries lugging heavy
large print books. -- Winnie

Amazon also has a number of free books for Kindle, as well as the ones they
sell.

Joy

Old October 5th 13, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
albert gerber

wrote in message

You use the real books to give the cats something to sit on while you
read the Kindle.

I'll have to remember that, I've just ordered my first Kindle.
--
Adrian

I prefer to go to the library and get real books..
My s i l has a Kindle, it's not for me.

Tell me if you like it in six months, rather than going to a library.
Maybe it's better in some ways, but it's limited.
I can read any books free from my local library, why would you want to pay
for them via Kindle?

Tweed

live in a little town of 1800 people. We do have a library but it is
very small and the book selection is very meager. I have an old Kindle
with over a hundred books on it. I haven't tried it but there is a
library program for accessing the library index if you know what you
want to read. We have to wait a long time to have it forwarded to our
branch of the county library especially if one is # 10 on the list. I
really enjoy my Kindle believe me. My kitties don't care one way or an
other.

Li'l Al

Sam Visits TED Marina Cat anecdotes 8 August 22nd 06 03:26 AM
Question about new cats I just got about a week ago O.G Cat health & behaviour 3 August 10th 05 09:37 AM