Boyfie is glad

Old November 9th 13, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie is glad

That I got back from my day trip to London by 8pm tonight (much better than
Blackpool, sez he, when it was 2 a.m. and he was dying from want of food)
and he never moaned a bit about it tonight.
I haven't been to London for more years than I like to remember. The
weather was awful, it threw it down with rain but Camden Market was very
interesting - although too many clothes stalls, I thought it would be more
mixed, like with antique stalls etc.
Pauline loved it, she was able to blow her budget with Goth clothes that you
cannot get in our home town. Apparently you have to have everything new
for when you go to the Whitby Goth festival in November & April - these were
for April.
I didn't see anything I wanted - only spent £5 on a meal but it was a nice
day out, and as always Pauline & I got on very well.
The only bad thing was some man at the motorway services tried to get her to
look at a photo on his phone (??) and when she walked away he shouted "Hey,
Morticia.."
I know she heard but she is used to it.
She doesn't deserve it. She is so kind that that she has agreed to go on a
day trip in Dec with someone else from our club (because I refused as this
woman talks you to death and does my head in) Good luck, Pauline ;-)

Tweed

Old November 10th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Camden Market is overpriced for clothes even through there is some lovely stuff- direct Pauline to somewhere like the Gothic Shop at http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/?gclid=C...Y7HtAodyl8AbA- I got a glorious Victorian style burgundy velvet jacket with a black lace trim and a black satin rear bodice strap for £45 (bit dearer because it was a bigger size)from them and they also carry Spiral Direct t-shirts etc. (I have a Spiral Direct skirt- black with a black lace over skirt with black satin rosettes on the over skirt- stunning!)

The only bad thing was some man at the motorway services tried to get her to

look at a photo on his phone (??) and when she walked away he shouted "Hey,

Morticia.."

Speaking as someone who only a few weeks ago accidentally walked through several bars of a rather rough pub wearing a full length purple and black pre-Raphaelite gown, fingerless purple evening gloves and a full length black velvet cloak with a purple satin lining.....You get used to the comments

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 10th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:23:57 PM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:

Camden does sell some lovely clothes but tends to be a bit dear (the shops have huge overheads) you can do Pauline a favour by pointing her towards http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/?gclid=C...FY7HtAodyl8AbA

Their Gothic range is excellent and very reasonable - they also carry Spiral Direct from whom I got an amazing Goth skirt

As for comments she's probably well used to them a few weeks back I was meeting some friends for a reunion and went through the wrong door and had to walk through 3 bars that were tbh fairly rough I was wearing a Kelmscott gown as in http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/en/pro...kelmscott-gown (But mine is purple) with a matching cloak...you can imagine the reaction I got......

Old November 10th 13, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:23:57 PM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:

Camden does sell some lovely clothes but tends to be a bit dear (the shops
have huge overheads) you can do Pauline a favour by pointing her towards
http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/?gclid=C...FY7HtAodyl8AbA

Their Gothic range is excellent and very reasonable - they also carry Spiral
Direct from whom I got an amazing Goth skirt

As for comments she's probably well used to them a few weeks back I was
meeting some friends for a reunion and went through the wrong door and had
to walk through 3 bars that were tbh fairly rough I was wearing a Kelmscott
gown as in http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/en/pro...kelmscott-gown (But
mine is purple) with a matching cloak...you can imagine the reaction I
got.....

Lesley

------------
I expect she is used to it, but it hurt me too. She is a lovely person and
doesn't deserve it. I hadn't realised how popular the Goth sub-culture must
be until I saw all the shops at Camden Market. I found it fascinating and
intriguing, though probably not my preferred dress code ;-)
So there I was, with Pauline hanging on to my shoulders, being laced up very
very tightly into a black velvet basque (her, not me!) Apparently if you go
to Whitby Goth festival-thingie, you have to have new clothes every time,
these are for the April event, she just got back recently from the
Hallowe'en one.
I sometimes think she must have a death wish regarding discrimination, being
transgender *and* Goth.
She is a lovely friend and when we go out together, she helps me up and down
any stairs (damn that ankle which has never recovered..) by holding my hand.
She makes a joke about it like "come on, you know you want to hold my hand"
which makes me laugh and hit her with my bag, but it's really to take away
the fact that I need to.
Bless her beautiful heart.
Tweed

Old November 12th 13, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Lesley wrote:

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:23:57 PM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:

Pauline loved it, she was able to blow her budget with Goth clothes that you

cannot get in our home town.

Camden Market is overpriced for clothes even through there is some lovely stuff- direct Pauline to somewhere like the Gothic Shop at http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/?gclid=C...Y7HtAodyl8AbA- I got a glorious Victorian style burgundy velvet jacket with a black lace trim and a black satin rear bodice strap for £45 (bit dearer because it was a bigger size)from them and they also carry Spiral Direct t-shirts etc. (I have a Spiral Direct skirt- black with a black lace over skirt with black satin rosettes on the over skirt- stunning!)

I'm not Goth (if I tried to be, people would just laugh), but I like some
of the styles. I get this catalog called "The Pyramid Collection", which
is full of all kinds of alternative fashions - everything from Goth to light
bondage gear to Pagan flowing capes, etc, and even tie-dye hippie stuff. I
don't know if it's available in the UK.

There's a certain kind of jacket that's popular, marketed to girls/women,
but I could see a boy/guy wearing it, too. It's very long and tailored, has
a big collar, lots of buttons, wide sleeves with big cuffs and more brass.
I think it's meant to be Goth, but I always think of Prince.

Actually, I look at that stuff and I just feel like it's too young-looking
for me. Usually I don't care about that - I never signed an agreement saying
that once I passed 50 I would wear nothing but old-lady clothes. But this
stuff is mostly geared toward teenagers. Plus the styles are designed for
tall people - those big, long dresses and jackets - and I'm short. I feel
like a kid dressed up in mommy's clothes when I put on anything like that.

But it's fun to look at.

--
Joyce

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old November 12th 13, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean ;-) Pauline is very tall and slim and she looked
good in them. It was certainly an eye-opener for me, particularly as she
knew exactly what clothes were Goth and what was "Steam Punk" (never heard
of that before!)
Today at the Senior Citizen's Playgroup we were discussing our Christmas
meal out and Pauline looked at me and said to the whole group "I might wear
the new clothes I bought in London for that" and they all said "yes, why
not?" I could hardly keep a straight face but said "I dare you.."
She has a wicked sense of humour as no-one except myself knows what she
bought (which would be highly inappropriate to wear at a senior citizen's
Christmas dinner!)
She won't, of course. She will dress in her usual black.

I really admire her for being brave enough for everything. I am fairly sure
I couldn't deal with being transgender and Goth at the same time. I
absolutely love her, she is a beautiful soul.
Tweed (I just wish she would admit it to me, the transgender thing, but she
hasn't yet. It truly would make no difference to our friendship but I can't
mention it of course before she does. This is an elephant in the room for
me. But yet, would I do this in the same situation? At the risk of losing
a friend who might be judgmental, I probably would be scared too.

Old November 12th 13, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I just happen to know a little about Steam Punk. I had never heard of it
either, until a couple of years ago, when I found out my nephew was in a
Steam Punk band. It's an interesting, if slightly wacky, concept. It's a
bit like medieval role playing, except that they supposedly have many of the
machines and mechanical devices we have today, operated by steam instead of
electricity. I'm explaining it poorly, but that's partly because I don't
completely understand it. They wear elaborate costumes and seem to have a
lot of fun. My nephew and his wife are both in the band, and they (the
band) have gotten as much as $5,000 for a performance. They are currently
in the process of making a for-TV movie either about or involving Steam
Punk.

--
Joy

Conrad cuddles me.
I'm holding a koala!
My heart overflows.
--- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

[...]

You are a good friend, and I'm glad she has you. I suspect that being
transgender must be a very lonely thing. Maybe sometime you could work
something into the conversation about some of the issues or events regarding
transgenders that make the news, making your opinions obvious.

Old November 12th 13, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:

[...]

I'm too scared to do it. She knows I know but we pretend I don't. I just
wish she would trust me with her secret but she doesn't atm. This is
difficult.

Old November 12th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure in time she'll get it that you won't be judgemental at all. Your
friendship is growing and when she feels it's right it'll come up in
conversation. It's a bit difficult just to come out with it cold.

Yes. But we do need to acknowledge at some point that I know and we haven't.

Old November 12th 13, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I just happen to know a little about Steam Punk. I had never heard of it
either, until a couple of years ago, when I found out my nephew was in a
Steam Punk band. It's an interesting, if slightly wacky, concept. It's a
bit like medieval role playing, except that they supposedly have many of the
machines and mechanical devices we have today, operated by steam instead of
electricity. I'm explaining it poorly, but that's partly because I don't
completely understand it. They wear elaborate costumes and seem to have a
lot of fun. My nephew and his wife are both in the band, and they (the
band) have gotten as much as $5,000 for a performance. They are currently
in the process of making a for-TV movie either about or involving Steam
Punk.

I don't know that much about it except that it focuses on the Victorian era
of Europe and the US (and maybe other places, too - don't know). One thing
that might make the steampunk aesthetic seem more familiar is to think about
those scientific drawings from the 19th century, like these:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/59672763783594448/

http://cdn.tradebit.org/usr/fisheye/...adgetit640.jpg

http://www.nzeldes.com/Miscellany/images/Ganot11.jpg

But like Joy said, there's a lot of very modern stuff in it like computers
and other electronics. I guess that's the "punk" part.

I just went off and looked at some steampunk fashions. Now I know why those
dresses that have drawstrings so you can pull the hem up in some places are
so popular:

http://www.polyvore.com/steampunk_se...set?id=1050043

Oh, here's the coat I was talking about in another post, that makes me
think of Prince:

http://www.pyramidcollection.com/ite...818&T1=P8474+M

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings