Boyfie is glad

Old November 16th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie is glad

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

I have a friend who was born female but feels male inside. She has
never
had any procedure or made any changes to her physiology. She has
occasionally
considered taking testosterone (or "T" as they call it), but she's a
singer,
with a high and very beautiful voice. If she took it, her voice would
drop
like any teenage boy's, and there's no guarantee that her lower voice
would
be as beautiful, or even that she would still be able to sing very
well.

Now, there's a difficult choice for anyone. Become who you really are or
destroy your singing voice and career.

I know somebody who did a female-to-male transition and does a bit of
singer-songwriter performing. I don't remember him from before the
change, and the resulting voice was rather unappealing - bland and
colourless. Singer-songwriter music is not really my thing, but the
performers I do like all have very strongly gendered voices - Joan
Armatrading or Leonard Cohen, say.

I think Joan Armatrading's singing voice could pass for a man's. I don't
know if anyone has actually made that mistake, but her voice is deep
enough
that I think it's possible.

What don't you like about singer-songwriter music? It's actually a pretty
large category, since it includes anyone who writes and performs their own
songs. That doesn't require the style to be acoustic, nor does it mean the
songs have to be introspective and emotional - that's the stereotype, but
if a rock band writes their own material, aren't they singer-songwriters,
too?

I like the genre, partly because I'm interested in songwriting - I've
written many songs myself.

Have you really? *impressed*! any you could share here in some way? I'd
love to hear some of your songs.

Pauline is a brilliant guitar player, she played for me once a few weeks
ago, and it was so beautiful it nearly made me weep with emotion.

I haven't a talent, really, well not like that. I can build wooden things
like bird nestboxes (always taken up) and I built my own chicken runs and a
few of the smaller huts, but that's my limit in the talent department.
Oh, and I cook quite well from scratch, forgot that ;-)

Tweed

Old November 16th 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2013-11-16 5:21 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

I have a friend who was born female but feels male inside. She has
never
had any procedure or made any changes to her physiology. She has
occasionally
considered taking testosterone (or "T" as they call it), but she's a
singer,
with a high and very beautiful voice. If she took it, her voice would
drop
like any teenage boy's, and there's no guarantee that her lower voice
would
be as beautiful, or even that she would still be able to sing very
well.

Now, there's a difficult choice for anyone. Become who you really are or
destroy your singing voice and career.

I recently wanted to check up on a singer I hadn't been following for a
while. I thought at first she must have died, or at the very least quit
singing professionally because I couldn't find any recent albums.

She'd transitioned, and is now a professional male singer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_James_Adams

--
Cheryl
Old November 16th 13, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Singer-songwriter music is not really my thing, but the
performers I do like all have very strongly gendered voices -
Joan Armatrading or Leonard Cohen, say.

I think Joan Armatrading's singing voice could pass for a man's. I don't
know if anyone has actually made that mistake, but her voice is deep enough
that I think it's possible.

At the low end. She is startlingly soprano and flirty at the top when
she wants to be. Must have one of the widest ranges in popular music.

What don't you like about singer-songwriter music? It's actually a pretty
large category, since it includes anyone who writes and performs their own
songs. That doesn't require the style to be acoustic, nor does it mean the
songs have to be introspective and emotional - that's the stereotype, but
if a rock band writes their own material, aren't they singer-songwriters,
too?

Self-absorption does characterize a lot of what I've been exposed to
from the Anglo-American scene, and what mostly gets performed live in
places I go to. I probably haven't given it an entirely fair hearing
up to now. I've started going to a weekly pub session where more of it
features - since I'm mostly playing washboard and R&B style saxophone
there, I'm tending to slant things towards the more publicly assertive
end of the spectrum.

Old November 17th 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2013-11-16 5:21 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

[...]

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be born into the wrong body for
your gender. you always know whether you are girl or boy but if I was born
the wrong gender, I'm not sure I'd be as brave as Pauline is to do something
about it.

Old November 17th 13, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 2013-11-16 5:21 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean. With the attitude of so many people, it must feel as
though the whole world is against you.

Joy

Old November 18th 13, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2013-11-16 5:21 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

[...]

In the Senior citizens Playgroup, she is well accepted, we all *know*
without being told or mentioning it.
It is a group we go to on Tuesday pm; we play scrabble and cards and do
jigsaws. We don't do dominoes any more as the last three people I played
dominoes with dropped dead. Too risky.
It's quite a nice place. But Pauline & I are not up for any kind of risk
about sharing the ultimate thing yet. I am, but she isn't. and there is
no way to tell her that it's fine with me with*knowing*
She's the perfect friend, not too girlie for me and fantastic about
sharpening my axes and being great on day trips.
Least I can do is help her with the Goth stuff.