How is your weather?

Old December 2nd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default How is your weather?

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

Hey folks! If you want to add in the ? symbol, there's a
keyboard shortcut. Just use 'Alt+248' (that is, hold down the
'Alt' key , then separate key strokes onto 2, then 4, then 8 on
your numeric keypad). This works for a lot of strange
characters - just try some combinations!

Do you have a complete list of the alt key symbols? I don't care about
letters, numbers, and common symbols, but it would be nice to produce
accented characters and other symbols that aren't part of the original
256-char ascii set.

Thanks,

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 2nd 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com
wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
On Nov 30, 9:53 pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Ours is a little cooler than I
expected:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvl4G8RQj9I

It's at least partially on-topic - Ranger is on part of the clip.

Minus 4 degrees celcius here. The foal had frost on her coat when I
went up to feed the horses this morning, but oh my, were the fields
beautiful as they glistened in the frost as the sun came up.

-3C here overnight. Rose to a dizzy height of 4C (approx 38F )today
and 10C in my kitchen with the fire on. No snow yet.
It's nippy.

Hey folks! If you want to add in the ° symbol, there's a keyboard
shortcut. Just use 'Alt+248' (that is, hold down the 'Alt' key , then
separate key strokes onto 2, then 4, then 8 on your numeric keypad).
This works for a lot of strange characters - just try some combinations!

--
MatSav

Would only be a 'shortcut' if it saved some time or effort wouldn't it?
(Just teasing)

Slightly faster than typing degrees if you remember it, but we seem to
have settles here for just using C of F to indicate what scale we are
using.

I'm getting pretty good at doing the conversions in my head. But Tweed's
kitchen sounds pretty cold to me. Unless you are a wise old lady cat who
sleeps under and behind the stove.

For an exact conversion, C=(5/9)*(F-32) ; or F=((9/5)*C)+32. An easy one
to remember is "40 below". It's the same in Celsius *OR* Fahrenheit.
Either way, that's far too cold for kitties.

Actually, the trick is *not* to convert, but get used to values in each
scale. It's the same with currency - *don't* convert prices to your home
currency when abroad, but try to get a feeling for *local* values. Note I
said *values*, not *prices*. There is a difference.

--
MatSav

I did that in Australia. On my first trip there, it was wonderful! The
Aussie dollar was worth about 80 cents American, but the prices were mostly
about the same as here, or a little lower. For instance, a tee shirt might
be $15 Aussie, making it about $12 US. The same shirt in the US would run
$15 to $20.

Temperatures are different, though. When I hear a temperature somewhere
else, especially somewhere I'm planning to go, I want to compare it to what
I'm used to. On my first trip to England, someone taught me to convert
Celsius to Fahrenheit in my head. It's a bit difficult to figure 5/9 in
your head, but it's fairly simple to take the Celsius temperature, double
it, subtract 10% and add 32. The results are the same, and I can do it very
quickly. I'm much slower at the reverse.

Joy

Old December 2nd 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

wrote:

Hey folks! If you want to add in the ? symbol, there's a keyboard
shortcut. Just use 'Alt+248' (that is, hold down the 'Alt' key , then
separate key strokes onto 2, then 4, then 8 on your numeric keypad).
This works for a lot of strange characters - just try some
combinations!

Do you have a complete list of the alt key symbols? I don't care about
letters, numbers, and common symbols, but it would be nice to produce
accented characters and other symbols that aren't part of the original
256-char ascii set.

Thanks,

There is a program that comes with Windows, called "character map" if I
recall correctly, that brings up a chart of special characters and lets
you pick one with the mouse. You can also single-click to select a
character and be shown what the Alt+number combination is to generate
it. Linux has a similar program as well.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old December 2nd 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"John F. Eldredge" wrote

| There is a program that comes with Windows, called "character map" if I
| recall correctly, that brings up a chart of special characters and lets
| you pick one with the mouse. You can also single-click to select a
| character and be shown what the Alt+number combination is to generate
| it. Linux has a similar program as well.

It's on the menu at Start/Programs/Accessories or you can hit Start/Run and
type charmap.exe then hit OK.

But after a while you start to remember the keystrokes. Like Alt+0233 gives
you é.

Old December 3rd 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Nov 30, 8:14�pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote

| The lilacs are surrounded by a plastic mesh tube, filled with dry
| leaves, then wrapped with coarse linen. The garbage bags are to keep
| rain out and have some pretty big holes in the sides.

We had a lilac bush in Michigan (which is colder than Iowa) and never
bothered with any covering. It grew to be humongous. These bushes are quite
hardy.

You lived in Mich? Where? I grew up in Mich, and lived there until
1998. Lilac bushes were all over the place there. There are a lot here
in Mass. too. The temps have been fluctuating between 30's and the
occasional low 50's. Spicey had a case of the Midnight friskys
lastnight.

Suz&Spicey "the Wild One"
Old December 3rd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Suz" wrote
On Nov 30, 8:14?pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote

| The lilacs are surrounded by a plastic mesh tube, filled with dry
| leaves, then wrapped with coarse linen. The garbage bags are to keep
| rain out and have some pretty big holes in the sides.

We had a lilac bush in Michigan (which is colder than Iowa) and never
bothered with any covering. It grew to be humongous. These bushes are
quite
hardy.

You lived in Mich? Where? I grew up in Mich, and lived there until
1998.

Was born & lived just outside Detroit for the first 18 years of my life. My
last visit there was in 1998!

OT Too much weather Karen Cat anecdotes 4 May 7th 07 05:10 AM
Winter Weather Anyone? [email protected] Cat anecdotes 40 January 15th 07 09:55 PM
Luna is under the weather :( Kitkat Cat health & behaviour 3 October 15th 06 08:18 AM
Weather mlbriggs Cat anecdotes 32 August 4th 06 03:59 AM
Cats and hot weather Zoeliz Cat health & behaviour 8 August 10th 03 10:39 PM