(OT) Stumped! (PC Issue)

Old May 26th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default (OT) Stumped! (PC Issue)

On Mon, 25 May 2009 22:35:16 -0500, Pat wrote:

I haven't been able to find an answer to this problem which has been going
on for months and driving me bananas! Hope someone can help....

I manage numerous websites of all kinds and lately I cannot access one of
them from my PC. I can access it from Dave's PC which is on the same
internet connection, but not from my own. We have almost identical setups
- Windows XP, similar programs and options enabled.

I try to access the site with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. No
matter which browser I use, I see a lenghty message that basically says
the site is "under construction".

I've tried clearing the caches and temp files, temporary internet files,
shutting down and restarting browsers, shutting down and restarting the
computer, clearing cookies, browser history, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing works, nothing changes.

It was especially irritating today cuz I had to update the site which
involved running back and forth from Dave's computer to mine.

I sure would appreciate any help to find the answer.

Spybot may have replaced yout default hosts file with its own. That could
explain everything you have described. It's an advanced setting,
something I don't use, but I am aware of its existence and action.

--
T.E.D. )

Old May 26th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On 2009-05-26, Pat wrote:

I try to access the site with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. No matter
which browser I use, I see a lenghty message that basically says the site is
"under construction".

Has something happened to your bookmarks files, assuming you click on a
bookmark instead of entering the URL by hand? Or your hosts file?

Bud

Old May 26th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Ted Davis" wrote

| Spybot may have replaced yout default hosts file with its own. That could
| explain everything you have described. It's an advanced setting,
| something I don't use, but I am aware of its existence and action.

I looked up the hosts file and found my domain listed there. Not in a long
list like I found in the Spyboy registry key, but just that one domain. I
have no idea how this happened!!!

Old May 26th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"William Hamblen" wrote

| Has something happened to your bookmarks files, assuming you click on a
| bookmark instead of entering the URL by hand? Or your hosts file?

I don't use a bookmark. Found the problem though, see my reply to Ted Davis
above.

Thanks!!

Old May 26th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:10:49 -0500, Pat wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote

| Spybot may have replaced yout default hosts file with its own. That
| could explain everything you have described. It's an advanced setting,
| something I don't use, but I am aware of its existence and action.

I looked up the hosts file and found my domain listed there. Not in a long
list like I found in the Spyboy registry key, but just that one domain. I
have no idea how this happened!!!

Out of curiosity, what did it refer to?

In any case, deleting the entry *should* fix the problem. If it doesn't,
you can get the IP address via nslookup on another machine and use that
instead of the system name.

--
T.E.D. )

I'm stumped... Pat Cat anecdotes 35 June 8th 07 03:04 AM
Cat Issue Muddypaws Cat health & behaviour 8 June 6th 07 09:43 AM
Experienced Cat Owner is Stumped [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 October 24th 06 01:52 AM
Cat's Eye Draining...Vet stumped Laura Shoemake via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 6 March 7th 05 06:57 PM
Cat has crusty nose, vets are stumped, any ideas? Willows Cat health & behaviour 16 February 27th 04 06:30 AM