The best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

Old October 18th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb[_2_]

Default The best nutrition/cost value in *canned* cat foods?

My cats prefer the filets or something with gravy. The "solid" one they
arent too crazy about.
"William Graham" wrote in essage
. ..

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Barb wrote:
: I didnt mean to sound abrupt or disinterested.

You didn't. I am just eager to learn to learn what I can ASAP, that's
all.

: I feed my cats Friskies or Nine Lives. They only get one can total a
day
: mixed in with a cup or so of dry food. Then I divvy it among the 7.
They eat
: dry food throughout the day.

OK, so you mix one 1 cup dry food into 1 can of Friskies, divide it up
among 7 cats? I would assume that the portion is more like an appetizer
for them. Nice one too. Then they eat dry as much as they want.

Friskies is one brand I am interested in because their prices seem very
reasonable (35 c).

However, they too have so many varieties. Is one better nutrition than
others? I gave a Prime Filets to my cat and she liked it. Actually so
far she is not fussy, hope she remains that way.

From reading the ingredients on the sides of the cans of cat food I buy, I
would say that they are all the same.....I would be willing to bet that
they all come from the same plant, but just have different labels on the
cans. I buy whatever Winco has on sale......Hopefully it's less than 30
cents a 6 oz. can.........

Old October 18th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"RPSinha" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

: My five get canned Fancy Feast "pate" varieties for their two meals a
day
: and can free feed on Science Diet Advanced Formula (Mature Adult for the
: adult cats and Kitten Formula for the kittens) dry left out all the
time...

Is FF based on their taste preference or you chose it for nutrition?
Did you compare it with Iams, Nutro, Pro Plan, Science Diet canned,
etc., and also cheaper brands like Friskies and Whiskas?

As I wrote earlier, I would feed them FF if it is the best, but if all
else was equal I would prefer something that came in 5-6 oz cans.

Both! Here are the nutritional values of FF if you want to take a look...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/fancy_feast_values/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 24th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default One candidateL Whole Foods house brand ("365")?

Thanks for all the thoughts on what are best nutrition/cost values in
*canned* cat foods.

I have one tentative candidate: Whole Foods house brand ("365"). I saw
three flavors. A 5.5 oz can was 49 c. The label (ingredient list)
seemed pretty good.

By comparison, at the next door Petsmart, Friskies was 31c but the
label is less good. Better brands begin around 1.00; Pro Plan is 1.29.
Many brands offer 3 oz cans starting around 50c or more.

This is impression, not careful analysis. In particular, labels don't
show many things particularly Ph levels. Also real protein/fat calories
instead of mere bulk. That "guaranteed analysis" leaves me more
confused than informed.

As I said, it's tentative.