How can I make this cat like me? :)

Old October 23rd 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

Default How can I make this cat like me? :)

"RPSinha" wrote in message
I have informally referred to "my cat" in a few post, but she belongs
to friends who are out of the country for several months and have asked
us to care for her. If they had lived in another city or even part of
town I would have officially brought her to my home. But they live two
houses down with connected yards and the cat, being indoor-outdoor, has
always gone back and forth. That has made the transition very smooth
for her.

I tried to feed her at "her " house but I would seldom find her when I
went and didn't want to leave kibble. So with some effort, I have
taught her to come to me for food. This is working smoothly: she is
outside all day, comes to my house in the evening to eat and sleep (she
has slowly started spending the night in our living room), wakes me up
at 5AM to eat, and then she goes out. Great, except for 5AM.

The funny part is, she is very dry and business like.

If she is still hungry, she just looks at me like "more".

When she is satisfied, she walks past like I was transparent and goes
straight to her chosen couch in my living room.

When she shows up to wake me up at 5AM, there is no other interaction
besides "give me food and open the door".

She is ok to touch but won't let us pick her up for more than a second.

My friends had adopted her recently and told me she was very friendly.
Well, not to me in the sense I understand the term!

Maybe she is missing them...but...is there anything I can do to make
her like me?

Oh, and she doesn't drink water as far as I can see. I hope that's ok
because I am feeding her 100% canned diet.

Thanks for any thoughts!

LOL! - Congratulations....You have a typical cat on your hands! The mere
fact that she spends the nights sleeping at your pad is a major
accomplishment. This means she trusts you to protect her from danger. Cats
rather like being around human beings (even when we don't feed them) but
they don't like letting us know this.
Just keep being nice to her, and pick he up and carry her around a lot,
and feed her whatever she likes whenever she likes it, and pretty soon she
will start returning some love to you.....It takes time to win over a
cat....Any cat........

Old October 23rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
studio wrote:

: Make sure she has clean fresh water and some kibble daily anyway.

She always has water, and she might even be taking a few sips, what I
meant was that I haven't seen her drink.

But why kibble? From all I have read, it is bad for cats and should be
avoided.

Kibble isn't "bad for cats". It should be supplemented with wet food and/or
fresh meat like chicken and fish. It's chief advantage is that being dry, it
doesn't go bad, so if you are hurt or dead, the cats will have a supply of
food that will last for a couple of weeks or more.....

Old October 23rd 07, 09:09 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

CatNipped wrote:

: I use the Purina Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry food as treats - the stuff is
: like kitty crack, Ozzy has even leared how to open the can to get at them:
: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Treats.mpg !

By the way, great movie!

: Hugs,
:
: CatNipped
Old October 23rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"studio" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 23, 6:59 am, RPSinha wrote:
But why kibble? From all I have read, it is bad for cats and should be
avoided.

That's news to me, I've never heard of such a thing.
It is true some types of kibble are like junk food, but
good types of kibble isn't bad for them...
some cats live (and thrive) on nothing but kibble.

Kibble has a certain amount of dietary fiber, introduces crude
forms of vegetables and vitamins into their diet that is beneficial
IMHO.
It also serves as something hard for them to chew on
and can help keep their teeth clean.

My B-K, spent several months during his first year of life living in a
Burger King parking lot, off of French fries, onion rings, and anything that
people threw at him. When I first saw him, it was just before they closed
for the night, and he stood on his hind legs and put one paw on my knee and
scratched at my bag with the other paw and said, "Can I have some of your
burgers, dad?" I picked him up, threw him in the back seat of my car and
said, "You're never gonna have to eat another French fry again for the rest
of your life, fella."

Today, he refuses to eat any human food, and rarely even touches canned cat
food.....He loves kibbles, and eats them almost exclusively. (He does catch
a mouse once in a while.) He can eat anything he wants, but kibbles are his
fare of choice, and he is as healthy as a horse.......

Old October 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"RPSinha" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

: I use the Purina Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry food as treats - the stuff
is
: like kitty crack, Ozzy has even leared how to open the can to get at
them:
: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Treats.mpg !

By the way, great movie!

Thanks! No, it comes in a zip-lock type bag and I keep a small amount in
the can you saw in the movie (it has a plastic top that snaps on) - that's
enough to keep it fresh enough for them to want to figure out how to open
the can! ; The can originally came sealed up in plastic in a 35lb.
container of Tidy Cat litter. My cats eat Fancy Feast canned, so I figured
I'd try giving them a few kibbles of this stuff as a treat - they went wild
over it, like I said, "kitty crack"! ;

: Hugs,
:
: CatNipped

Old October 23rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"William Graham" wrote in message
news

"RPSinha" wrote in message
studio wrote:

: Make sure she has clean fresh water and some kibble daily anyway.

She always has water, and she might even be taking a few sips, what I
meant was that I haven't seen her drink.

But why kibble? From all I have read, it is bad for cats and should be
avoided.

Kibble isn't "bad for cats". It should be supplemented with wet food
and/or fresh meat like chicken and fish. It's chief advantage is that
being dry, it doesn't go bad, so if you are hurt or dead, the cats will
have a supply of food that will last for a couple of weeks or more.....

LOL! If you die and your body remains in the house, they'll have more than
kibble to dine off of! ducking and running ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 23rd 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
studio wrote:

: Make sure she has clean fresh water and some kibble daily anyway.

She always has water, and she might even be taking a few sips, what I
meant was that I haven't seen her drink.

But why kibble? From all I have read, it is bad for cats and should be
avoided.

Kibble isn't "bad for cats". It should be supplemented with wet food
and/or fresh meat like chicken and fish. It's chief advantage is that
being dry, it doesn't go bad, so if you are hurt or dead, the cats will
have a supply of food that will last for a couple of weeks or more.....

LOL! If you die and your body remains in the house, they'll have more
than kibble to dine off of! ducking and running ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

That may be true, but I always worry about getting in an auto accident or
something like that, and just never returning to the house.......My cats do
have cat doors so they can enter and exit the house at any time, and most of
them know the neighbors too, but I still keep a "never ending" supply of
kibbles available to them all the time.......

Old October 23rd 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

studio wrote:

: That's news to me, I've never heard of such a thing.
: It is true some types of kibble are like junk food, but
: good types of kibble isn't bad for them...
: some cats live (and thrive) on nothing but kibble.

Here are some of the links I read:

http://www.catinfo.org/index.htm

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr..._Canned_Food._
_Which_is_reall
Old October 23rd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

William Graham wrote:

It's chief advantage is that being dry, it
doesn't go bad, (referring to kibble).

This is not completely true. I had some Friskies Dental Diet get moldy
(turned green). Tiger, who loves this as a treat, wouldn't eat it -
which caused me to look at it very closely.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 23rd 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"studio" wrote in message
That's news to me, I've never heard of such a thing.
It is true some types of kibble are like junk food, but
good types of kibble isn't bad for them...
some cats live (and thrive) on nothing but kibble.

I agree with that. When I got my six month old sweetie from the animal
shelter, they were feeding her Performatrim. I weaned her off that and
started feeding her Iams kibble. In fact, that's all she will eat. I can
cook some fish or shrimp or other seafood and she will go nuts with the
smell and be all over me, but if I actually give her some, she won't eat it.
Same with all the cat treats on the market. I've tried several varieties of
canned cat food and she is just not interested. It's Iams Multicat kibble
and water all the way. In one sense it makes her really easy to feed, but I
can't come home with some special treat for her because she just won't eat
it. The best I can do is on occasion she will eat a dime sized piece of
process cheese and maybe take a few licks of ice cream, but that's about it.
Oh yeah, she will eat a small amount of carrot bran muffin, but everything
else I've tried, nadda.