Smart birds!

Old December 4th 08, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Smart birds!

These are Kea parrots from New Zealand. The video is a bit jerky and
sometimes it's hard to see exactly what's going on, but you do get
the general idea that these birds are going to take over the world,
probably sooner than anyone suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRW4ztbY8Ok

By the way, does anyone know what language the text is in (in the video)?
That is *not* Maori. Looks like Turkish or Armenian or something. Jack, do
you know?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_4_]

LOL, they're really smart !
The language is Turkish.

Nanny

schreef in bericht

Old December 4th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
These are Kea parrots from New Zealand. The video is a bit jerky and
sometimes it's hard to see exactly what's going on, but you do get
the general idea that these birds are going to take over the world,
probably sooner than anyone suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRW4ztbY8Ok

By the way, does anyone know what language the text is in (in the video)?
That is *not* Maori. Looks like Turkish or Armenian or something. Jack, do
you know?

--
Joyce ^..^

Yes, that is Turkish. Yes, those birds are something else, and if they ever
get off New Zealand, the rest of us are in big trouble.

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old December 4th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, that is Turkish. Yes, those birds are something else, and if they ever
get off New Zealand, the rest of us are in big trouble.

Including the cats!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 5th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

These are Kea parrots from New Zealand. The video is a bit jerky and
sometimes it's hard to see exactly what's going on, but you do get
the general idea that these birds are going to take over the world,
probably sooner than anyone suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRW4ztbY8Ok

By the way, does anyone know what language the text is in (in the video)?
That is *not* Maori. Looks like Turkish or Armenian or something. Jack, do
you know?

Turkish - the repeated caption says "instinct or intelligence?"

Armenian uses a different script which looks like Woodstock's
speech bubbles in the Snoopy cartoons. (It even looks odd when
transliterated into English: I was listening to some songs in
an Armenian dialect an hour ago, and you'd think from the printed
texts on the CD that you'd need to swallow industrial quantities
of throat pastilles just to say hello, but it doesn't sound as
consonantal as that in practice).

Keas are notorious for ruthless intelligence. The stories about
them I remember from when I was a kid in New Zealand were that they
had worked out a feeding regime where they would simply stand on
a sheep's back and rip the fat out from around its kidneys, and
that they could strip the tread off car tyres just for fun. Keep
one as a pet and I imagine it would learn to operate your credit
card and order itself live mice or juicy adoptive babies over the
web.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 5th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On 04 Dec 2008 21:09:49 GMT, wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, that is Turkish. Yes, those birds are something else, and if they ever
get off New Zealand, the rest of us are in big trouble.

Including the cats!

Sunshine, my RB cockatiel, helped raise Sammy. As a kitten Sammy
decided a good place to nap would be on top of Sunny's cage. Sunny
used to bite Sammy's toes as she climbed the cage, and then would pull
out Sammy's fur as Sammy tried to nap. Sunny didn't try to hurt Sammy
- cockatiels can bite hard enough to draw blood, but she annoyed Sammy
enough that Sammy quit napping on top the cage.

Sunny was a pretty smart bird, and something of an escape artist. I
had her about 10 years before I had cats, and used to have the cage
open so she could roam whenever I was in the apartment. She couldn't
fly very well (because of a poorly healed broken wing she had when I
got her), but would follow me from room to room walking along the
floor. At first, I hard a hard time keeping her inside the cage,
because she could open the doors. I tried the wire twists, like come
on loafs of bread, and she would just worry it around until she could
reach the twist and unwrap it. I finally held the doors closed with
those big three inch paper clips.

Once I got the cats Sunny decided to stay in the cage. Once a week I'd
lock up the cats in the bedroom and let Sunny. I just checked and the
story (
http://tinyurl.com/5hz32a ) I typed up for Sammy is still on
Flippy's site. http://www.flippyscatpage.com/index.html
Old December 5th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

By the way, does anyone know what language the text is in (in the video)?
That is *not* Maori. Looks like Turkish or Armenian or something. Jack, do
you know?

Turkish - the repeated caption says "instinct or intelligence?"

Yeah, I saw that in the little summary in the upper-right corner of the
browser screen. (Not in the video itself, but in the place where the
poster's ID and info is displayed.) So I knew what it meant, if not
where it came from.

Armenian uses a different script which looks like Woodstock's
speech bubbles in the Snoopy cartoons.

Oh, that's right, I've seen that on Armenian CDs. It reminds me of
Georgian script, or maybe Ethiopian. Not saying these languages are
related, I just think the scripts look sort of similar.

(It even looks odd when
transliterated into English: I was listening to some songs in
an Armenian dialect an hour ago, and you'd think from the printed
texts on the CD that you'd need to swallow industrial quantities
of throat pastilles just to say hello

That sounds a bit frightening!

I've sung songs in some difficult-to-pronounce languages that have
multi-consonant syllables. They're hard for English speakers to wrap
our mouths around. Ever sing in Latvian?

Keas are notorious for ruthless intelligence. The stories about
them I remember from when I was a kid in New Zealand were that they
had worked out a feeding regime where they would simply stand on
a sheep's back and rip the fat out from around its kidneys

While it's alive?? The poor sheep!

Keep
one as a pet and I imagine it would learn to operate your credit
card and order itself live mice or juicy adoptive babies over the
web.

Yes, well on that site there were a number of comments to the effect
of "Where can I get one as a pet?" Is that the only thing people can
think of when they learn about an interesting animal? It's one thing if
the animal is domesticated. It doesn't sound like Keas are, though.
And apparently it's illegal to sell them as pets.

--
Joyce ^..^