Purrs for my friends kitty

Old April 17th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default UPDATE: Purrs for my friends kitty

"Karen" wrote in message

"W. Leong" wrote in message

"Karen" wrote in message
Well, they are still at the vets. Foster's blood panels have been good.
There is some question about his gravity specific urine tests, but they
almost sent him home. The owner of the clinic wanted to keep them
though
just to make sure. She is to take them to their regular vet tomorrow

(IV's
and all) and get an afternoon bloodtest. They feel if it is still good,
they are out of the woods. Sofie (sorry, Chloe is someone else's cat,
yeesh) probably did not ingest any but better safe than sorry. They've
upchucked a bunch of charcoal. Poor kitties. It seems that it is a good
prognosis. Whew.

Thanks for the update Karen. Continue to send purrs for a speedy and
complete recovery.
Do you mean specific gravity instead of 'gravity specific'?

Winnie

Probably. You know, whatever it is they test for CRF or ARF?

Specific gravity is like the density. If the urine is too dilute, they
suspect
the kidneys are unable to concentrate the urine. Some years ago, the
vet thought Rusty's has renal insufficiency.
Turned out I mixed his canned food with lots of water so that made
his urine very diluted. Subsequent tests show his kidneys are fine.
What does ARF stand for?

Winnie

Old April 17th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

"W. Leong" wrote in message

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

CRF = Chronic Renal Failure
ARF = the sound a dog makes J/K !!! Acute Renal Failure

Old April 17th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for my friends kitty

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:37:31 -0500, Karen wrote:

She did not know about Easter Lilys and her husband brought one home
this afternoon at around 1pm. Around 2 her male cat, Foster, came in
and meowed, and threw up. They could see two leaves in the food. She
immediately wondered about the new plant and looked it up and
discovered how toxic they are. She had the cat to the emergency vets
probably within an hour and a half of his having eaten it (they
actually took both cats because not knowing if the girl had eaten it or
not - and she probably hasn't because she did not vomit). So they are
both at the vet and got the charcoal treatment and are on IVs to flush
their kidney's. They will take a blood test around 1 a m 12 hours out
from the first possible ingestion. From everything I read, it sounds
like they have the best possible scenario for this bad situation but
purrs for Foster and Chloe (though Chloe is probably getting this just
for precautions sake so especially Foster) to have gotten it all out
and not have developed any kidney trouble from this. I did think it was
good he had food in his stomach too, as I would expect that had to
absorb some of any sap. Husband feels guilty, she feels like a horrible
cat mommy for not knowing (and this is on top of quitting her job that
she thought was going to be her dream job and turned into the "Academic
political job from hell" on Wednesday). Purrs would be appreciated from
anyone reading the boards this late.

thanks all

Karen

Belated purrs offered. Hope everything is okay.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old April 18th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:
Well, they are still at the vets. Foster's blood panels have been good.
There is some question about his gravity specific urine tests, but they
almost sent him home. The owner of the clinic wanted to keep them though
just to make sure. She is to take them to their regular vet tomorrow
(IV's and all) and get an afternoon bloodtest. They feel if it is still
good, they are out of the woods. Sofie (sorry, Chloe is someone else's
cat, yeesh) probably did not ingest any but better safe than sorry.
They've upchucked a bunch of charcoal. Poor kitties. It seems that it is
a good prognosis. Whew.

Thanks for the update. Hope they continue to do well.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:

[...]

I hope they are both ok.
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
POlonca and Soncek

Old April 24th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes