biting electrical cords

Old October 17th 03, 05:36 AM
Phil P.

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

Go to a hardware store and buy some clear plastic tubing, about 1 or

more
inches in diameter. Cut a length for as many feet long as the cord is.

Then
take an exacto knife and slit the tubing lengthwise. Stuff cords

inside.
That's what I did with my cord biter and it worked like a charm.

Hi Sharon,

The above is a spin-off of an idea I posted, years ago, of splitting
thick-wall automotive vacuum hosing lengthwise and cutting it into various
lengths to suit.

Vacuum hosing is very flexible and extremly strong. Even though the OD is
narrower than most plastic hosing, the walls of the hose are very thick to
resist high engine temperatures and thicker than the lenght of a cat's
carnassial teeth (the teeth cat's use to cut, "chew"). Vacuum hosing comes
in different I.Ds from narrow to wide (1/8 to 1 inxh or more) which
accomodates different thicknesses of wires and also allows you to group
wires together that go to the same place.

Hmm. I wonder if your method is cheaper than mine? Sounds like more
work, though. I recommend split flex tubing.

Vacuum hosing is certainly more expensive than flex or plastic tubing and
takes a little more work to split. However, its much more flexible,
stronger and more protective (for the cat and the wires) than plastic tubing
due the thicker walls.

Phil.

Old October 17th 03, 08:54 PM
Sharon Talbert

Vacuum hosing is certainly more expensive than flex or plastic tubing and
takes a little more work to split. However, its much more flexible,
stronger and more protective (for the cat and the wires) than plastic tubing
due the thicker walls.

I haven't had a cat continue to worry at a line that has been sheathed in
the split flex tubing except perhaps at the very end (which I then go on
to cover in another way). I'll certainly take your method into advisement
for the persistent beast that continues to chew, though.

I wonder whether your method would even work for dogs and rabbits, who are
avid chewers?

Thanks, Phil, as always.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats