cat running away??

Old May 7th 04, 12:12 AM
Ensoul100

Default cat running away??

my daughter took in cat over a year, he was a stray and adopted her
Bill cat has been to the vet, up on all vactions and has been neutered for some
time now

He's very loving and Mr.Mellow
I know my daughter treats him well

they moved, still in the same small town
she didn't let Bill out until they had been there several weeks and on a
weekend when she could be home, Bill was fine came and went several times for
over month he did, then he dispeared and snow storm hit the next day, we were
all worried

Bill has collar w/phone number, he had gone back to her old apartment
to do this he has to cross train tracks amd a busy highway, her ex landord
called
Bill was a bit thinner but clealry happy to be home

she tried keeping him inside, but then he won't use the litter box
if allowed to go outside, he has no problem using the litter box
she finally let him outside again, again when she could be home
same thing all over again...for several weeks he came and went fine
then disappread again, she got a phone from a lady that lives near her old
place there was Bill

She has taken him to vet, vet could find nothing wrong..Bill is a healty male
tiger cat, neutred like I said...he his well loved and well taken care of
Bill is big cat, not a fighter but if another cat starts something...
I doubt very much he;d be threanted by another cat

any ideas??

ensoul

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
~ Douglas Adams

Old May 7th 04, 12:43 AM
Cat Protector

I would have your daughter keep this cat indoors. I'd also have your
daughter consider adopting another cat. This would keep him company. If he
insists on going out then get him a leash and harness. This way he won't
disappear and you will have peace of mind knowing he is safe. This also
might solve the litterbox problem. Is the litterbox in a high traffic area.
If that is the case I can see why the cat might have issues about not using
it. Also if the litterbox is extremely dirty they might also not use it.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old May 7th 04, 02:38 AM
Gee

"Ensoul100" wrote in message

they moved, still in the same small town
she didn't let Bill out until they had been there several weeks and on a
weekend when she could be home, Bill was fine came and went several times

for
over month he did, then he dispeared and snow storm hit the next day, we

were
all worried

Bill has collar w/phone number, he had gone back to her old apartment
to do this he has to cross train tracks amd a busy highway, her ex landord
called
Bill was a bit thinner but clealry happy to be home

Isn;t it amazing how cats can find the way back to what they consider HOME
no matter how far it is! I wish I knew how they do it, cos they certainly
can;t read the road signs or A-Z!

Anyways, if you do insist on letting him outdoors, which I know many people
will tell you against (including me-as my beloved QT got run over) , I'd say
get him a harness and a dog leash. For the next few weeks, take him out in
the area for walks. OK so he will take you for walks. The point is, he
doesn;t consider the new area his territory hence keeps going back "home".
Spend time with him in the new place, take him out and around for good few
weeks untill he accepts this as his new terrotory. So he may not like the
harness, but I think that is better then finding him flat on that highway.

She has taken him to vet, vet could find nothing wrong.

Of course. Going back to his "territory" is a mind thing, not a desease.
Lots of cats do it after their humans move home.

Gee

Old May 7th 04, 10:59 PM
Alison

Hi ,
There's nothing wrong with Bill and I'm sure your daughter treats him
very well . He is being a cat. Cat's become very attached to their
territory and will often make their way back. This is instinct. In
the wild, cats are solitary hunters and rely on their territory for
survival rather than rely on the pack or a leader as wolves/dogs do.
Alison

Old May 7th 04, 11:08 PM
Gee

"Alison" wrote in message

.. Cat's become very attached to their
territory and will often make their way back. This is instinct.

Alison, do you know how they find the "territory"? I mean are they using
some special sense, as I just can;t think of anything else... It can't be
smell, or sight, or sound, so it must be something like a compas in their
heads to tell them where home is.

Gee