Help w/ New Cat Conflict Please

Old February 9th 05, 06:41 PM
brew

Default Help w/ New Cat Conflict Please

Hello Cat-People,

Ok here is the scoop, need your advice/ experience. I have 2 resident cats.
I just took in a third. Things have been going along very well, no
conflicts, hissing, anything whatsoever. In fact one of the resident cats
was really bonding with the new guy, always in the vicinity watching and
keeping him company downstairs. Has been great...

.... until last night that is. I was downstairs saying good night to the new
guy, turned around and stepped on the resident cat's paw. She screeched,
jumped 2 feet in the air and took of at 90 miles an hour ( so did the new
guy) and they collided in the pitch dark. There was a quick
spur-of-the-moment rumble, no serious injury or wrestling, just loud.
Obviously I know what and why... DUMMY me! Fortunately, I didn't injure the
paw as I was barefoot and it was a light pinch more than anything but enough
to hurt her and freak her out big time.

So the problem is now since that iincident, the resident cat is growling.
hissing and even charged new guy when she sees him. It is awful and breaks
my heart because it was a beautiful relationship prior to this. The new cat
is so gentle and totally bewildered by this change in her behavior. He
didn't react at first to her new aggressiveness but she is now downright
mean, so now he is starting to posture back looking tough and ready to fight
because he is scared I assume.

Ok, HELP please. Will this blow over in a few days or will it be forever or
a 50/50 outcome? Should I run to get some Feliway, would it help? It is so
damn pricey for a diffuser and a spray, if I have to or really should I will
but...it is a hard investment especially if I don't know if it is
appropriate for this kind of problem.Or any other ideas you all might have.
Right now she ( resident) wants to sulk in my room upstairs and new guy
doesn't want to come upstairs at all no more. I am going to let them have
their space because it's not working otherwise trying to intro them again,
special treats, love-rubs, etc. Thanks for your help!

Old February 11th 05, 04:34 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article 4HVOd.569$DG5.337@lakeread07, brew at wrote on 2/10/05 9:26
PM:

Thanks Gail, Karen & Catherine, it is reassuring for the vote of confidence
that things should be ok. Appreciate the advice and diffuser experience,
that's our approach and it's working ok so far. Today it appears that either
way this turns out, they will be able to coexist although I anxiously hope
that they will be back to the bond they were developing. It looked like it
was going to be very special in the long term. You know how once in awhile
there comes a pair who are as one. And new guy had only been here not even a
week! ( soon to be 2 weeks)... well guess time will tell as you all suggest.
Thanks again.

Keep us posted!!