Cat saves baby's life

Old April 17th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat saves baby's life

They know who they love very well for they know we love them with all out
hearts and we are proud to be their slaves
and will serve them with our last breath for they are the air we breathe
wrote in message
Rhino wrote:

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

Whoops, I also meant to say that I was watching the Canadian show
"Animal Miracles" on Animal Planet last night, and there were two
stories of cats saving people's lives. One was a cat who awakened her
human when the house was on fire. The woman was very deeply asleep
and didn't wake up from the cat's cries, so she scratched her human
on the face. That did the trick.

This kind of thing isn't an isolated incident, but I think it's
important to note that this cat wasn't trapped in the house - there
was an open window in the bedroom where the woman was sleeping. The
cat could have run out to safety, but she stayed to wake her human,
who had once rescued her and saved her life.

The other was about a family driving cross-country. The mother was
driving and her two sons slept in the back with their cat curled up
with them. (This cat was very amenable to travel.) But the mother
started to fall asleep, and strayed into the wrong lane, where she
almost had a head-on with an 18-wheeler. But the cat jumped into her
lap and woke her up, just in time.

I often wonder how much truth there is to the stories on these shows.
The original people are interviewed, so clearly, *something* happened
that seemed miraculous. But I wonder how much is exaggerated or left
out. After reading the story of the kitty in Berlin, I'm more inclined
to think that this stuff really does happen.

There was also a very sweet story (on the show) about a Border Collie
saving his best friend, another dog who had fallen in a well. He ran
and got a human to follow him to the site, the guy called for more
help, and they rescued the dog. (Although this story *really* begs you
to say, "Did Timmy fall in the well?" )

Joyce

Old April 17th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16 16:56:27 -0500, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:

jmcquown wrote:

Rhino wrote:

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

I've pasted it below in case it doesn't stay at that URL for long:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

BERLIN (Reuters) - A cat saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned
on the
doorstep of a Cologne house in the middle of the night by meowing
loudly
until someone woke up, a police spokesman said Saturday.

Sad for the baby, good for the cat! At least the mother had the courtesy to
abandon the child on a doorstep rather than putting the infant in a trash
dumpster.

Perhaps Germany is a tad more civilized than parts of the U.S.? (I've
seen a few "Law and Order SVU" episodes dealing with such things, but I
assumed they were fiction.)

Jill

No. It has happened here.

Old April 17th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

the one thing about the USA is we have the abandonment law where if you
leave your baby in a safe area such as a hospital, fire department etc it
is not considered abandonment

But any person to leave an animal or infant out in the open when freezing
temperatures nope I will not finish that comment I was too beautiful of a
day to ruin it. Purrs and Hugs for the mother( who needs them badly), the
child and for the cat who was the true miracle in the story

Old April 17th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article ,
wrote:

Rhino wrote:

[...]

From direct experience, I had Clifford (RB) defend me, when I was
knocked out of breath, from a "helpful" person trying to massage my
broken leg. Mr. Clark is a nurse cat, far beyond the routine.

Among close friends, Schiz will almost drag an adult to a child's
bedroom, when the child is having a seizure behind a closed door. Also
a nurse cat, he will, when a family member is sick, stay at or on the
bed, and summon a relief cat to be in position before he goes for food
or the litterbox. He gets very sheepdoggish when there's more than one
patient.
Old April 17th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:13:44 -0400, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Rhino wrote:

[...]

From direct experience, I had Clifford (RB) defend me, when I was
knocked out of breath, from a "helpful" person trying to massage my
broken leg. Mr. Clark is a nurse cat, far beyond the routine.

Among close friends, Schiz will almost drag an adult to a child's
bedroom, when the child is having a seizure behind a closed door. Also
a nurse cat, he will, when a family member is sick, stay at or on the
bed, and summon a relief cat to be in position before he goes for food
or the litterbox. He gets very sheepdoggish when there's more than one
patient.

Is there more to this story? Would like to hear it. MLB
Old April 17th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
the one thing about the USA is we have the abandonment law where if
you
leave your baby in a safe area such as a hospital, fire department
etc it
is not considered abandonment

Or at a church, IIRC. I think it's a shame someone feels so stigmatized by
having a child out of wedlock (I am *assuming* here) that they have to dump
a child. Birth control is free even in this country call the USA; planned
parenthood gives out free condoms and birth control pills or patches and
unless you are under the age of 15, in most states you don't need parental
permission.

Jill

Old April 17th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-17, jmcquown penned:

Or at a church, IIRC. I think it's a shame someone feels so
stigmatized by having a child out of wedlock (I am *assuming* here)
that they have to dump a child. Birth control is free even in this
country call the USA; planned parenthood gives out free condoms and
birth control pills or patches and unless you are under the age of
15, in most states you don't need parental permission.

Unfortunately, a lot of teenagers are feeling the urge at a time when
they are still extremely worried about not calling attention to
themselves. How many teens do you know who would happily have sex but
would be too embarrassed to buy condoms?

--
monique, once again thankful that she survived her more foolish
moments without a lifetime reminder
Old April 17th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16, penned:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Perhaps Germany is a tad more civilized than parts of the U.S.?

Hmm. I don't think anyone would have said that 65-70 years ago...

Yeah, and what about that whole slavery thing we were up to a bit
longer ago than that?

It's dangerous vilifying any one country when they've all had their
dark times. '

That's true. And Germany is certainly far more civilized now than it
was mid last century. I wouldn't vilify any particular country, and I
don't let my own country off the hook, either. I feel it's my duty as a US
citizen to speak up about things happening here that I believe are wrong.

In general, it seems the western European countries, along with Canada
and many others, have more civilized policies in many ways than we do
here, which is scandalous considering that this is an extremely wealthy
country. We should not have any poor people here at all! It's bad enough
that we have politicians who are trying to take everything away from
struggling people and give it to rich people, but when ordinary working
people actually support those policies, I'm just flabbergasted. It
angers me, actually - I mean, if you want to be an idiot and shoot
yourself in the foot, fine, but why do you have to wreck it for the
rest of us??

On the other hand, we haven't had millions of people marching and cheering
for the complete eradication of certain selected groups of people, as they
did in Germany in the 30s and 40s. I think the potential for it is certainly
here, but we haven't gotten that far as yet. We can't forget that what
happened back then can't ever happen again.

Joyce - been to 3 Passover seders in the past 4 days, so maybe persecution
of Jews is on my mind more than usual...
Old April 17th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

IIRC. I think it's a shame someone feels so stigmatized by
having a child out of wedlock (I am *assuming* here) that they have to dump
a child.

Wow, I wasn't even thinking of that. I've always figured that someone
who dumps a child just doesn't have the wherewithal, either financially
or emotionally, to raise a child. Eg, they're too poor, or on drugs,
emotionally screwed up, in an abusive situation... I guess a lot of
things could drive someone to abandon her baby.

Birth control is free even in this country call the USA; planned
parenthood gives out free condoms and birth control pills or patches
and unless you are under the age of 15, in most states you don't
need parental permission.

Of course, there is no kind of birth control that's 100% effective, so
even that could fail.

Joyce