cats

Old April 22nd 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default cats

I was wondering if it was a specific breed?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

What's a British Shorthair? My cat's British born with short hair,
does he qualify?

Old April 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

On 2006-04-21, Adrian A penned:

wrote:

What's a British Shorthair? My cat's British born with short hair,
does he qualify?

Memphis and Pheonix, the cats that own Sandra are both British
Shorthairs, *very* beautiful cats.

All cats are beautiful cats =P

True! Anyway, judging from the pictures I've seen, "British Shrthairs"
are difficult to distinguish from just plain cats. Roundish head, rather
cobby body, and they tend to be fairly large - although not like Maine
Coons or Norwegian Forest cats - and any kind of markings or coat color
is acceptable. (So, if you can't really tell the difference, why bother
with a throughbred, when a normal "cat" cat will do as well?)

You *can* tell the difference. I knew straight away when I saw pics of
Memphis & Pheonix that they were pedigree cats. It hit me in the eye.
Didn't it you?

Not after living with Patches, who was a stray for three years before he
adopted me! (He looked EXACTLY like the picture of a British Shorthair
in the cat book someone once gave me.)

Well, being a stray doesn't mean he wasn't a pedigree cat, does it?

I think you confuse a "pedigreed" appearance with a "well cared for" look,
which Memphis and Phoenix clearly have.

I don't think I do at all. When I first saw M&P's photos I posted to
enquire if they were pure bred cats, and Sandra confirmed that they were. I
see lots of pics on the group of very well cared for cats with a mixed
background and I do not confuse them with pedigree cats.

Maybe I have "my eye in" as they say. I judge show dogs. I've showed
various animals all my life. Mice, rabbits, goats you name it.
I know a pedigree cat, too, when I see one.

Some pedigreed cats (Siamese, Persian, Rex....) DO look drastically
different from their hoi-polloi relatives, but others just look like
pampered, well-nourished cats, IMO.

Pure bred British Shorthairs don't look like "ordinary cats" here. They
have large wide faces with a shorter nose and they are bigger.
Maybe it's different in America. Perhaps your strays look like pedigrees, I
wouldn't know about that. Our British strays are not like that, KFC &
Boyfriend are typical of the normal non pedigree British cat that has come
about through folks not neutering their cats. They are very precious,
though.

Tweed

Old April 22nd 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
Not after living with Patches, who was a stray for three years before he
adopted me! (He looked EXACTLY like the picture of a British Shorthair
in the cat book someone once gave me.)

Well, being a stray doesn't mean he wasn't a pedigree cat, does it?

A stray may have been a pedigree cat "in the out", but I have always
thought that as soon as you no longer can prove the kitty you found is
the pedigree cat in question, thru collar tag / tattoo mark / ID chip or
whatever, no matter how much of a pedigree he looks and/or behaves like,
a stray cat cannot be called a pedigree cat. Or, well, called yes, but
not shown in cat shows as one or sold as one. It doesn't have the
paperwork or known lineage. Which, of course, doesn't make it any less
of a wonderful specimen of the species tho...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 22nd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christine K." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Not after living with Patches, who was a stray for three years before he
adopted me! (He looked EXACTLY like the picture of a British Shorthair
in the cat book someone once gave me.)

Well, being a stray doesn't mean he wasn't a pedigree cat, does it?

A stray may have been a pedigree cat "in the out", but I have always
thought that as soon as you no longer can prove the kitty you found is the
pedigree cat in question, thru collar tag / tattoo mark / ID chip or
whatever, no matter how much of a pedigree he looks and/or behaves like, a
stray cat cannot be called a pedigree cat. Or, well, called yes, but not
shown in cat shows as one or sold as one. It doesn't have the paperwork or
known lineage. Which, of course, doesn't make it any less of a wonderful
specimen of the species tho...

Absolutely.
What is being debated here is: I think I can recognise a pedigree cat when
I see one - Evelyn thinks not.

Old April 23rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

On 2006-04-21, Adrian A penned:

wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily, but usually if people have paid a fair sum
of money for a pedigreed cat, they aren't liekly to simply
abandon it. ("Get rid of", maybe - but not without some
compensation.)

Some pedigreed cats (Siamese, Persian, Rex....) DO look drastically
different from their hoi-polloi relatives, but others just look like
pampered, well-nourished cats, IMO.

Pure bred British Shorthairs don't look like "ordinary cats" here. They
have large wide faces with a shorter nose and they are bigger.
Maybe it's different in America.

Perhaps it is. Certainly, judging by various discussions
we've had here, the average American cat tends to be larger
than those in the UK. (You guys seem to consider ten pounds
large, whereas here that's just about average - many tip the
scales at fifteen, and only when they get closer to the
twenty mark do people remark upon their size!)

Old April 23rd 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I wasn't making it a personal issue - didn't realize you
considered it one! You may very well be able to tell the
difference, especially if you've been a cat-show judge.
However, I seriously doubt whether that is true of everyone
else but me!

Old April 23rd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

On 2006-04-21, Adrian A penned:

wrote:

[...]

Having seen 3 'moggies' that were exported here from England ( a friend
immigrated here and didn't want to leave her cats behind), the British
Moggie looks more like British Shorthair than Australian Moggies. They are
stockier, and have rounder, bigger heads and are just 'beefier' all over,
and hteir coats seem denser and less 'fluffy'. Her 3 British cats look quite
distinct from the two Australian moggies that adopted her later.

I can only assume that someone outside of Britain liked the look of Britsh
moggies as opposed to their own moggie type, and started breeding them so as
to accentuate the differences. Hundreds of generations later, the breed
"British Shorthair" became a distict breed in its own right, and only has a
passing simularity with the original stock from which it was bred from.

But still, her British moggies still are recognisably *British*, just not as
pronounced as the pure-bred ones.

Yowie

Old April 23rd 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

Absolutely.
What is being debated here is: I think I can recognise a pedigree cat
when I see one - Evelyn thinks not.

I wasn't making it a personal issue - didn't realize you considered it
one!

I don't consider it a personal issue at all, Evelyn. I just felt I needed
to point out that I am able to tell the difference between a well-looked
after cat and a pedigree one, as you seemed to think I might be confused
about it. I'm not.
Please don't think that because I've disagreed with something that you said
that it means I don't like you. It merely means our opinions differ at this
time.

Tweed

Old April 23rd 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-22, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Perhaps it is. Certainly, judging by various discussions we've had
here, the average American cat tends to be larger than those in the
UK. (You guys seem to consider ten pounds large, whereas here
that's just about average - many tip the scales at fifteen, and only
when they get closer to the twenty mark do people remark upon their
size!)

Oscar's 9 pounds, and I think of her as fairly small. A lot of cats
in the US are bigger than her.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 24th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-21, christal63 penned:

kirjoitti:

What's a British Shorthair? My cat's British born with short hair,
does he qualify?

This is a British Shorthair:
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/british.html

Christine in Finland, posting thru Google at her parents' place

Is it just me, or does that first cat on the page look a little wired
... like maybe he's been cadging prescriptions from his vet ...

I dunno, but he really needs to calm down, and get a hobby or something.
Maybe alligator wrestling....

Pam S. who wonders what that cat got into