(OT) Yard Care Advice, Please?

Old May 18th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default (OT) Yard Care Advice, Please?

OK here's the situation:

I have a very big yard here, and in some spots the grass grew very quickly.
I've been cutting it down bit by bit with a scythe. It's about 80% done now,
and the last of it is right in the center of the backyard.

But I'm not fast enough to please a couple of the neighbors, apparently, so
they complained to city hall and city hall says I must have it all cut
within a few days or else get fined.

(One complainer is a guy who's been wanting to buy part of my lot for many
years, the other is across the street and wants to mow it for a fee.)

Problem is, I keep getting huge blisters on the palms of my hands when I'm
out cutting. The last one was the size of a quarter and took a week to heal.
Got another like it today.

Wearing gloves doesn't prevent them, either.

If I use only one hand to cut, I tire too fast, along with getting a blister
on that hand, too. I can hardly do anything with my hands when there are
huge raw spots on the palms.

I've been using comfrey salve on them and I think without that the healing
would be taking even longer.

One thing I haven't tried yet is wrapping the handle of the scythe in
high-density foam like you find on the handles of some exercise equipment.
Do you think this would be effective? If so, where to get the foam?

How can I make the blisters heal faster so I can meet this deadline? They
are absolutely too painful to just go ahead and do the work anyway.

Anyone got a good idea that I haven't already tried? Please don't tell me to
buy a power mower, I wouldn't use one of those if I was paid to.... Don't
know which aspect I hate the most - the smell, the noise, or the way it
massacres the plants.

I've got an old reel mower that I bought from the people who gave me Abelard
but it needs a lot of repair before it will work even on short grass. I'll
get around to fixing it eventually, but meanwhile I've got to find a way to
keep the grass cut without constantly wrecking my hands.

Old May 18th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If you have that big a yard, you will have to get a power mower.
Vermont Country Products has an electric power mower that wouldn't smell
or be noisy. you have to consider that you will need to cut this grass
quite a few times this summer. Go to http://www.drowner.com

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 19th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
[...]

Since you say you don't want a power mower, and you seem to enjoy the manual
labor (but not the blisters), maybe a reel mower? As a kid, one of my
friend's parent's had one for their teeny-tiny back yard, and it was fairly
easy to use.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/reelmowers.html

Also available at Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...reel %20mower

And Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

Old May 19th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:25:53 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

[...]

Pat,

I have used the sponge insulation that goes around water pipes to
cushion handles in the past. Secure it w/duct tape. They are cheap and
usually easy to find!

Patti
Old May 19th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

But I'm not fast enough to please a couple of the neighbors, apparently, so
they complained to city hall and city hall says I must have it all cut
within a few days or else get fined.

Pat, would an electric line trimmer (aka week whacker or weed eater) work?
How many days do you have?

Dan
Old May 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I have used the sponge insulation that goes around water pipes to
cushion handles in the past. Secure it w/duct tape. They are cheap and
usually easy to find!

Thanks Patti! I've got some of that stuff already and will try it out.

Old May 19th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat, I checked the dr catalog and they have a NEUTON cordless electric
mower for $359. It will run for up to 1 hour on a single battery
charge. If you call 1-800-376-9637 you can ask for a catalog.

Old May 19th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

OK here's the situation:

I have a very big yard here, and in some spots the grass grew very quickly.
I've been cutting it down bit by bit with a scythe. It's about 80% done now,
and the last of it is right in the center of the backyard.

Define "very big". I have a big yard (about two acres) and can't
conceive of trying to keep it mowed without a large (23 HP) garden
tractor mounted mower (50 inch) - even then it takes almost four hours
and nearly four gallons of gasoline. Five acres and up would be what
I call "very big".

Before mowers were invented, lawns were dealt with by rolling the
grass down with a heavy roller (I have a 400 pound (water filled), 48
inch wide one that I pull behind the tractor to mash down the mole
runs).

You can also hire someone to cut your grass - somebody other than the
complaining neighbor.

--
T.E.D. )
Old May 19th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thanks Mike. I've actually seen that catalog. The NEUTON is quiet and
doesn't stink, but still uses a rotary blade, which is really bad for the
grass.

Aside from that it's a nice machine, but pricewise it may as well be
$359,000.