[OT] Garlic

Old May 25th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Garlic

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message

wrote in message
Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

Botulism shows up in odd places. The toxin is often present, in

small
amounts, in honey, which is the reason for caution against feeding

honey to
human babies who are very sensitive.

In honey? Eww - I use honey in my tea every day. And "small amounts"
isn't
very comforting - I thought botulinum toxin was so powerful that you

only
*need* a small amount to get sick enough to die from it.

True. Clostridium botulinum type A exotoxin is the most poisonous
substance
known.

I thought it was ricin(in).

Yowie

To give a sense of relative toxicities, these are the limits permitted, by
the US Centers for Disease Control, for the amount of toxin that may be
present in a laboratory certified to work on Select Agents (i.e., of
biological warfare potential):

1000 mg: diacetoxyscirpinol, T-2 (trichothene) toxin
100 mg: abrin, conotoxin, ricin, saxitoxin, shiga-like ribosome activating
proteins, tetrodotoxin, Clostridium perfringens epsilon, shigatoxin
5 mg: staphylococcal enterotoxins
0.5 mg: botulinus toxins

Old May 25th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

True. Clostridium botulinum type A exotoxin is the most poisonous
substance known.

More than plutonium? I've always wondered which one claimed the #1 spot.
Joyce

Uh...please forgive me, Joyce, but plutonium is a radionuclide isotope
byproduct not a poison. It is radioactive (like radium) and that's
what's dangerous.

I guess I should have said "the most deadly substance on earth."
I've heard plutonium described with that phrase, but also botulinum toxin.

Joyce
Old May 25th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
True. Clostridium botulinum type A exotoxin is the most poisonous
substance known.
More than plutonium? I've always wondered which one claimed the #1
spot.
Joyce

Uh...please forgive me, Joyce, but plutonium is a radionuclide isotope
byproduct not a poison. It is radioactive (like radium) and that's
what's dangerous.

I guess I should have said "the most deadly substance on earth."
I've heard plutonium described with that phrase, but also botulinum toxin.
Joyce

Well, they both kill hoomins, I guess that's the bottom line.
There is an area not far from here called Rocky Flats where there used to
be a big factory that manufactured plutonium (I think for the gov't or
military uses). The state hired some HAZMAT-type outfit to tear it down
and do total clean-up of the area, which took quite a while, but this outfit
set new speed records for what it did.
State gov't. now touts this area as a big wildlife park for the citizens to
bring their kids and enjoy.....all clean and danger-free, LOL.
Sidebar: the outfit that cleaned it up is now under investigation for using
unapproved methods (!!!!) in their cleanup tactics (!!!), which would
be funny if the people out here (citizens) were not so innocent and
gov't-trusting.....
You wouldn't get me anywhere near this Rocky Flats "Park" in a
million years, much less any relatives w/me, to wander the "wildlife"
park. I'm curious as to what the wildlife will look like after awhile.
Did you hear about the double-gendered fish somewhere else?
Fed and state authorities are incredibly dumb about radiation and
its long-lasting lingering danger. Deliver us from "created" parks
like this one.

Old May 25th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

There is an area not far from here called Rocky Flats where there used to
be a big factory that manufactured plutonium (I think for the gov't or
military uses). The state hired some HAZMAT-type outfit to tear it down
and do total clean-up of the area, which took quite a while, but this outfit
set new speed records for what it did.
State gov't. now touts this area as a big wildlife park for the citizens to
bring their kids and enjoy.....all clean and danger-free, LOL.

You wouldn't get me anywhere near this Rocky Flats "Park" in a
million years, much less any relatives w/me, to wander the "wildlife"
park. I'm curious as to what the wildlife will look like after awhile.
Did you hear about the double-gendered fish somewhere else?

And what about the hazmat people? What are the cancer rates among them,
I wonder? (rhetorical question)

JOyce

Old May 25th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
"Yowie wrote
We ere given loads of garlic. About 20 full bulbs, with allt he
cloves

still intact. We had no idea what to do with it all, and the idea
that chopping
garlic when you need it is a PTA, we chopped lotsof it up in the
foodprocessor, put it in a glass jar, and added olive oil. The
olive oil idea was both as a preservative and to make garlic
flavoured oil. I also added a bit (maybe a teaspoon) of balamic
vinegar, as an extra preservative.
We stuck the conconction in the fridge.
The next day, the crushed garlic had developed a distinct
coppery-green colour. Not mould green, but bright green. No
fuzzyness, no other signs of
'life', jus tthis weird green colour. It didn't smell off, either,
but then
again,I wonder if you *could* smell 'off' over the incredibly strong
odour
of crushed garlic.
We haven't used it, but was wondering if anyone could explain the
sudden appearnaceof the bright green colour?

I can't tell you why the garlic turns green.
Winnie

Well, I would've used white vinegar, myself, but I don't think using
balsamic
would be a "kiss of death" for your project, Yowie...
What does Jill think? Our rpca master chef(ess)....is there such a
thing as "chefess"?

LOL I don't know about Australia but in the U.S. you can buy jarred minced
garlic packed in oil and also packed in water with phosphoric acid (which I
gather acts as a preservative). There is no problem with this as long as
the jarred garlic is kept refrigerated. And I agree, sometimes mincing or
chopping garlic is just a pain so sometimes I use the jarred stuff (now I
buy the water packed, but I've used the oil packed, too).

Jill

Old May 25th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The next day, the crushed garlic had developed a distinct coppery-green
colour. Not mould green, but bright green. No fuzzyness, no other signs of
'life', jus tthis weird green colour. It didn't smell off, either, but then
again,I wonder if you *could* smell 'off' over the incredibly strong odour
of crushed garlic.

We haven't used it, but was wondering if anyone could explain the sudden
appearnaceof the bright green colour?

Yowie

Take a look at http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/bluegarlic.htm and see
if any of the possibilities they mention might apply.

Dan
Old May 25th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
dnr wrote:
[...]

I need a recipe and as we seem short of trolls (praise Bast) this is a good
place to ask.

Many restaurants now serve a dipping sauce for bread in saucers. I know it
is chopped garlic and olive oil. What else can or should be added for a
good bread dip?

Jo

Old May 25th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
dnr wrote:
[...]

A dried Italian herb blend and black pepper. Delicious with nice warm
crusty bread!

Jill