I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but I must love these people

Old December 8th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but I must love these people

Yowie wrote:

Your Aspie sco 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) sco 85 of 200

How come the numbers don't add up to 200? 132 + 85 = 217 - where did
the extra 17 answers come from??

Dunno... could be from the earlier survey type questions that weren't in the
quiz proper. Or perhaps some questions were given more than one point such
that if you answered with a '1' it gave 1 point, but a '2' gave you two.

I couldn't be bothered trying to figure it out. I did that with the MBTI
test I had (it was DOS it was that old) and figured out the weighting of
each of the 50 questions, but it took *ages* going through each variable of
each 50 questions and just changing 1 variable at a time. I'm not going to
do it again without far more motivation.....

Oh, I was just asking it rhetorically. I just found it a bit amusing.

Oddly, I've found wearing makeup a social help. Dunno why. But it seems to
say "Hi, I am normal" to people. I scrape it off as soon as I get home, but
it does seem to give a better impression than a makeupless face. It really
annoys me that this is the case because I really object to my skills being
judged by how well I apply paint to my face, but thats how it is. Its a game
and through fairly concious trial and error I feel Ive worked out enough to
get by. I still hate makeup though and find it vaguely insulting that its a
necessary thing for a women to wear to get respect when its seems the very
*opposite* of what female makeup is supposed to do gives a man respect
(wrinkles and and obviosly serious, aged face gives a man more status, the
same cannot be said for a woman)

I wear the tiniest bit of makeup - some eyebrow pencil, because my brows
are disappearing, going grey and getting smaller. I do this because I like
my face better with darker, fuller brows. I don't do it to get more respect
from others, although I suppose I would, if I wore more makeup. I am
surprised that this would be an issue in your line of work. If you worked
in sales or if you were an executive, I could see it being more expected.
Maybe those norms are a bit different in Australia?

I agree that it's very annoying that we have these gender categories of
behavior that have absolutely nothing to do with what our bodies are
actually capable of or designed for. Why does the fact that I have uterus
mean I should put paint on my face?

I'm always havign an a little internal dialogue that goes something like
"Well, I'm putting a one down, because I think its the closest to what you
think I should put, given the options available, but...."

I do that, too, but at the same time, I'm thinking that it's going to
skew my results toward their limited expectations, which apparently
don't take all variations into account.

There are these quiz sites where you can find out "How jealous am I?"
or "Which animal am I?" etc. I admit it: I sometimes will go to a site
like that and take 5 or 6 of them in a row. Maybe I'm starved for
attention.

Anyway, after the first or second question, it becomes clear that their
target audience is people under age 20. They assume that parents play a
big role in people's decisions, they ask questions about wanting to have
children in the future tense. They assume everyone is heterosexual, that
everyone wants to make a lot of money, etc. Many times there is no choice
among the options that even comes close to what I would answer.

OK, this is an extreme example, but even tests that are designed to be
more sophisticated and realistic fail in some of the very same ways, just
less so.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 8th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Geeks & RPGs

wrote in message

I've tried a couple of RPGs (D&D), but I got a little bored because it
seemed to be mostly about battles. I know there are different types of
characters, mages and bards and so forth, but most of the action and
dice-rolling has to do with fighting, and I guess I don't have a lot of
patience for that.

That said, I enjoyed the first group I played with. It was a group of
co-workers, and the guy who ran the dungeon was a lot of fun. Plus,
people didn't take it too seriously and mostly we just did a lot of
laughing. The second group was extremely boring, but I think it was
because the DM was inexperienced and she just spent WAY TOO LONG setting
up characters with each individual person. For most of the time, I was
just sitting there waiting for her to come over to help me set up my
characater. I quit before the game even got started, after 3 or 4
meetings of waiting.

Humm, a good DM balances hack and bash (fighting) and role play
opportunities. When I was a DM, we'd have whole sessions without fighting,
but with lots of role play. One event took place in an inn with one of my
favorite gamers playing a goblin thief. He spoke with a mock Irish accent
and his fence/contact was reached through the outhouse. I gave basic
guidelines (starting level, max stats, and any character restrictions) asked
the more experienced players to help those who needed it, and turned them
loose. I'd ask them to bring the character to me for final approval, at
which time I'd work out any character motivations and refinements with the
player and then bring them to the table. All of this was done before the
first session. details should always be worked out in advance.

That being said, I love games of most kinds. Like cards, board games, RPGs
and some computer games. Someday I'll find someone who plays canasta.

Pam S

Old December 8th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

tanadashoes wrote:

Humm, a good DM balances hack and bash (fighting) and role play
opportunities. When I was a DM, we'd have whole sessions without fighting,
but with lots of role play. One event took place in an inn with one of my
favorite gamers playing a goblin thief. He spoke with a mock Irish accent
and his fence/contact was reached through the outhouse.

Here's a question I have about the role play. Where does the dialogue
come from? I mean, I realize that the players make up the actual words,
but how do people decide what they're going to be talking *about*? I
think that would have my stymied. I would get major stage fright.

I find it amazing that groups of people who are ordinarily shy can act
out these elaborate scenes in a different character. My shyness affects
me the opposite way: I'd get all self-conscious and embarrassed if I was
expected to take on the traits of some stock "type" (eg, magician, poet,
warrior, etc), because people would have expectations about how that
type of character should behave, and what they would sound like, etc.,
and would be judging how well I pulled it off, how convincing I was,
etc. I'm much more comfortable just being me - I know that terrain!

I gave basic
guidelines (starting level, max stats, and any character restrictions) asked
the more experienced players to help those who needed it, and turned them
loose. I'd ask them to bring the character to me for final approval, at
which time I'd work out any character motivations and refinements with the
player and then bring them to the table. All of this was done before the
first session. details should always be worked out in advance.

I agree, but the DM I had for the second group I joined worked those
things out *in* our gatherings, rather by calling the players on the
phone, or emailing, or whatever, individually. So I spent a few weeks
just sitting there while the DM conferred with the other players about
all those parameters, such as starting level and so forth. I'm not sure
she ever got to me before I quit.

That being said, I love games of most kinds. Like cards, board games, RPGs
and some computer games. Someday I'll find someone who plays canasta.

A couple of years ago I played mah jongg. I didn't grow up among people
who played this game, so it was my first time. You get these cards that
tell you different ways you can match the dominos, and what the point
values are for each match. The cards looked just like menus in the old-
style Cantonese restaurants I used to go to as a kid. It made me hungry.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 8th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

tanadashoes kirjoitti:
wrote in message
[...]

snip
That being said, I love games of most kinds. Like cards, board games, RPGs
and some computer games. Someday I'll find someone who plays canasta.

Pam S

You may know it already, but there is Canasta on Yahoo Games...
You need a Yahoo user name for it tho, it's a multiplayer thingy.
http://games.yahoo.com/card-games - and from here choose Canasta.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 9th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default WoW (was: Geeks & RPGs)

"Matthew" wrote in
g.com:

I love WOW where else can you play a game talk to hundreds of people
and have fun for $15

Where do you play? I have alliance toons on Eldre'Thalas and Horde on Aerie
Peak. Here's my Alliance guild:

http://thudandblunder.org/

There's a WoW newsgroup, alt.games.warcraft. Pretty good signal to noise.
Old December 9th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
"Matthew" wrote in
g.com:

I love WOW where else can you play a game talk to hundreds of people
and have fun for $15

Where do you play? I have alliance toons on Eldre'Thalas and Horde on
Aerie
Peak. Here's my Alliance guild:

http://thudandblunder.org/

There's a WoW newsgroup, alt.games.warcraft. Pretty good signal to noise.

I play on the Llane server I have a 74 dwarf BM Hunter a 55 DK

I don't like to to post names since it can lead back to personal information

Old December 12th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Christine K" wrote in message

You may know it already, but there is Canasta on Yahoo Games...
You need a Yahoo user name for it tho, it's a multiplayer thingy.
http://games.yahoo.com/card-games - and from here choose Canasta.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks!! I didn't know. I play via Hoyle's card games on HP game consol.

Pam S Interested