Question for group...

Old July 20th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gloria[_2_]

Default Question for group...

I just found this group and I hope this question is appropriate here. I have
a kitten, 4 months old, who broke 2 of her metatarsals in a fall. The vet
put a cast/splint on her. I'm to take her back for another x-ray in 2 weeks,
he said that the splint might come off then if healing is good. He said
kitten's bones heal very fast because they are growing so rapidly. Does
this sound right to you guys? I'm concerned for my little girl furbaby. I
don't really like this vet, but he's all there is for my area. My really
good vet died. TIA

Gloria

Old July 20th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i have no experience but hopefully others will give a more informed opinion,
what i will say is you need to start looking for the next closest vet you do
trust... then you can at least plan/go to one you trust and reserve this one
where time is important, Lee

Old July 20th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:23:07 -0500, "Gloria"
wrote:

I just found this group and I hope this question is appropriate here. I have
a kitten, 4 months old, who broke 2 of her metatarsals in a fall. The vet
put a cast/splint on her. I'm to take her back for another x-ray in 2 weeks,
he said that the splint might come off then if healing is good. He said
kitten's bones heal very fast because they are growing so rapidly. Does
this sound right to you guys? I'm concerned for my little girl furbaby. I
don't really like this vet, but he's all there is for my area. My really
good vet died. TIA

Gloria

You have to go by what the vet says if he is the only one in your
county or area.
John
Old July 20th 10, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

wrote:

I just found this group and I hope this question is appropriate here. I have
a kitten, 4 months old, who broke 2 of her metatarsals in a fall. The vet
put a cast/splint on her. I'm to take her back for another x-ray in 2 weeks,
he said that the splint might come off then if healing is good. He said
kitten's bones heal very fast because they are growing so rapidly. Does
this sound right to you guys? I'm concerned for my little girl furbaby. I
don't really like this vet, but he's all there is for my area. My really
good vet died. TIA

Gloria

Two weeks sounds a bit short to me...but I can't claim to be an expert,
by any means.

A follow-up X-ray may not show exactly how well the bones have healed.

I would think it would be better to leave the splint on a bit too long,
than remove it too soon.

That's what I would do if it were my cat, at least.

Fortunately, I have a very,VERY good vet to take care of my elderly cat,
Kenzie. I trust what she tells me

You may want to try asking this question on another Usenet news group:

rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It doesn't get nearly as much traffic as this group does, but there are
some very knowledgeable people who read that group.

Don't be discouraged if a few days go by before you get a 'good' answer,
due to fewer people reading that group.

Good luck with your kitty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100719-1, 07/19/2010
Tested on: 7/19/2010 11:19:19 PM

Old July 20th 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
You may want to try asking this question on another Usenet news group:

rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree with Gandalf that that's the place to go for the most
knowledgeable advice.

Two weeks sounds like the *minimum* amount of time to splint a
fracture to me, because I know that in hoomins, that't the window of
time within which a broken bone needs to start bridging the gap, or
else subsequent bone knitting steps will fail.

I have very little idea about kittens, but I hope that yours will be
out of her cast and about soon, when she's ready.
Old July 20th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 19, 8:23*pm, "Gloria" wrote:
I just found this group and I hope this question is appropriate here. I have
a kitten, 4 months old, who broke 2 of her metatarsals in a fall. *The vet
put a cast/splint on her. I'm to take her back for another x-ray in 2 weeks,
he said that the splint might come off then *if healing is good. *He said
kitten's bones heal very fast because they are growing so rapidly. *Does
this sound right to you guys? I'm concerned for my little girl furbaby. *I
don't really like this vet, but he's all there is for my area. *My really
good vet died. *TIA

Gloria

Hi Gloria -- Welcome to the group. Any post about your kitties is
appropriate! Unfortunately, we're mostly just like you -- owners of
some very pampered cats, and we can pretty much only offer
our laymen's opinions. We *do* have a very knowledgeable vet tech who
pops in now and then (paging Kristi.....)
Tak mentioned a health/behavior ng, and there's also
alt.med.veterinary.
It doesn't get a whole lot of traffic there either. Maybe check the
archives?
One thing you *can* do is type a few key words into Google. There's a
wealth of info. out there that you can use to arm yourself with
questions
to ask your vet. See if he answers them to your satsifaction. If not,
you may want to make the drive to another vet. I know that stinks.
I've
been in the position before I've had to haul a cat 60 miles to the
vet. Not fun.
Wish I could help you more, but what I know about metarsal fractures
you
could fit in a shoebox. :-) I do remember a kitten being
accidentally
stepped on at the shelter and fracturing two metarsals. Kittens *do*
heal very quickly and she was good as new when the splint came off.
I don't remember how bad the break was, or how long the splint was on.
I remember most the vet stressing how important it was to keep the
kitten as immobilized as possible (she had to stay in a very small
cage
by herself). If the breaks didn't knit properly, she could have ended
up
with a lifetime of pain/and/or surgery. Or so he said. So I wondered
if maybe your vet just wants to check the progress at
2 weeks to be sure about proper healing, and not necessarily take off
the splint.
Please do keep us updated on her progress. Good luck with your kitty.

Sherry
Old July 20th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gloria[_2_]

"Gloria" wrote in message
I just found this group and I hope this question is appropriate here. I
have a kitten, 4 months old, who broke 2 of her metatarsals in a fall. The
vet put a cast/splint on her. I'm to take her back for another x-ray in 2
weeks, he said that the splint might come off then if healing is good. He
said kitten's bones heal very fast because they are growing so rapidly.
Does this sound right to you guys? I'm concerned for my little girl
furbaby. I don't really like this vet, but he's all there is for my area.
My really good vet died. TIA

Gloria

Thanks to all who responded, this seems like a good group and a place I'd
like to hang out.

As far as the advice to find another vet in another area....this vet is in
the next county, 45 min drive. There is another one there that is good, but
he's only there in the mornings. Unfortunately, Hannah fell in the
afternoon. I had to get her to a vet ASAP. This vet did a good job of
splinting, he showed me the x-rays and I don't doubt his assessment of the
fractures since I saw them myself. I doubt his truthfulness. He always
acts like he has a blank check when I've seen him before. He does tests
that he doesn't even tell me about, until I get the bill. (He was the vet I
used, after my reg vet was gone, for my 9 year old cat that is now
deceased.) I swore I'd never, ever, ever....have another cat and go through
the agony of losing them....lol....famous last words.....cause I now have
these 2 darling and precious 4 month old sisters. I got them at age 7 weeks
and I don't know how I could have even considered life without cats. They
were born 3 days after my sweet Itty Bitty was put down due to cancer.
(Whew, Sherry, I hope you meant that about posting anything about my cats,
is there a limit to how long winded you can be?)

I have googled everything I can about fractured bones in kittens and have
gotten very little and nothing at all about length of time for healing.

Yes, the vet did say that the splint might come off in 2 weeks, depending on
if the x-ray in 2 weeks shows good healing.. I think he just wants more
money and that another office visit and x-ray isn't called for until at
least 6 weeks.

I'm using the good vet that is there only mornings for the routine stuff and
I have a return appt. with him in 3 weeks. for booster shots for both
kitties. So, what I think I'll do is wait until that appt. and let HIM
check Hannah's fractures. I *do* trust him and he is as good as my old vet,
but his time in the office is limited to mornings.

Thanks for the info about the other groups...I'm gonna check them out.

Gloria

Old July 20th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

knowing you have already found a good vet, just call and ask if he will do
the follow up and will it be ok to wait until the booster apt... and ask
what records you need from the other vet if any... that way you get the care
you want, and aftn vet can't be offended since their regular vet is already
scheduled an apt, good luck... we discuss any and all cat issues here, and a
lot of non cat issues also, for the most part we have a great group of
people, there is a lot of traffic, knowledge and humor here, make sure to
read mark's psts as he is hillarious, Lee

Old July 20th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

No, be as long winded as it takes, most of us are! If you read past posts,
you see that NO subject is off limits. A few we already know how people
feel so we avoid if possible, declawing and such. You are either for it or
against it, no use causing a war with the subject. Welcome.

Old July 20th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gloria wrote:

They
were born 3 days after my sweet Itty Bitty was put down due to cancer.
(Whew, Sherry, I hope you meant that about posting anything about my cats,
is there a limit to how long winded you can be?)

LOL, stick around, and you'll find out how long winded some of us can
be.

Looking forward to more tales of your kitten sisters.

Joyce

--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.