horrible yowling outside

Old May 27th 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default horrible yowling outside

"MLB" wrote in message
On 05/27/2012 09:02 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Like a cat fight. I was fairly sure Boyfie was in, as he was an hour
ago,
but it's hot and the door is open.
I rushed out to make sure it was not him. It was.
He does not like to fight, and he came hurtling in when I opened the
front
door, as it was happening on the front. He rarely goes out on "the
front"
which is where the road is.
Anyway he must have done, and somecat jumped on him. He's a bit
shocked.
I tell him always to go out the back where there are nice acres to
roam
in.
Never go out the front, although a car an hour would be unlikely.

I don't know if he's been bitten by this cat, or even if the fight
was
his
fault.
I want to say it isn't his fault, but who knows if they are enemies
in
what
is my garden and what is his its nothing to do with our boundaries.

I hope he's OK! Will he let you check him over for bites?

Yes, probably, I will wait until tomorrow. He's gone to his bedroom
and
will leave him there. He is not a fighter and he is shocked, let him
sleep
to get over it.
He's like me. We want a quiet life.

A preventative dose might be in order. Claw marks might not be easy to
detect and abcess can take a while to develop. By-the-way, that is
what
"dirty old tom cats" do (the kind you were wishing for) -- they fight
other males for domina

nce

My wish for a dirty old tom cat, as you call them, was only because I
would
like to transform the d o t's life. He'd be neutered and would have a
happy
life here. Anyone can adopt a cute kitten. It does not make a
difference
to a sad life if you adopt a perfect cat.
The fact that I wished for a dirty old tom did not make one come here and
fight Boyfriend. It could have been any cat, neutered or not. It could
have been a fierce girlcat like KFC!

Tweed

Yes, Christina, I have been the caretaker of innumerable cats in my
life. They have all been adoptees or strays or

ferals. I have seen horrible abcesses among the ferals. We also lost
our ginger tom to an bad abcess that would not heal. This was before
antibiotics.

I like to think I did make a positive change in the life of the cats.
Sadly, I learned that you can't save them all. At one time a stray tom
sneaked into the house and snatched a newborn kitten from its mother. She
fought it like a tiger. The kitten, however died, but she did save the
rest.

And that's why I'd prefer to rescue an unneutered tom. To stop that sort of
thing happening - and to make his life better by giving him the snip.

Old May 28th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i didn't even consider how it would traumatize him, and that is why you are
such a good catmom, you know his tolerances... and maybe he did read that
card about the TED and thats why he ran... never underestimate them, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
If Boyfie was a ordinary confident cat, I would have done, but I know him
so well. When he has had a fright like that he is so scared that he will
not even trust *me*, who he really loves and I cannot get near him, he is
in a panic and just runs from me so it's best to leave him alone until he
has calmed down. He seemed fine this morning but when I tried to check
him over when he was lying on his duvet in his bedroom he ran from me.
That's because contact has to be on his own terms and more to the point, I
try to let his bedroom be his refuge and the only time I have disturbed
him there is when he has to go to to TED for his yearly jabs. Little does
he know I just had a card in the post to say it's time for them again..

Tweed

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
tweed i am probably too late for this, but one of the advantages of
checking sooner rather than later is often you can feel the other cat's
spit and then you know where to watch the closest, i didn't check the
time on this thread but for future reference check a s soon as you can
before he washes up if possible, Lee

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I will leave him there. He is not a fighter and he is shocked, let him

Old May 28th 12, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

that is my very favorite kfc story... one of the strangest things in the
world, is that, as i said on here Tiger was sent to rb to avoid horrible
suffering from lukemia after the fire, and blessedly all the rest were found
to be negative... after one of the outdoor escapades and everyone was safely
in for a few days, i found chester licking his leg, he had an abscess that
the night before wasn't at all aparent and it had burst and drained sometime
in the night, very weird, but no long term ill effects, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I will, but it was probably just a skirmish with no injuries inflicted.
Now had it been Kitty Farmcat, the other cat would have been rushing home
with a certain abscess to come, probably several. Although she was really
tiny, 4lbs or so, no cat in the neighbourhood could stand up to her when
she was in her heyday. That's why I was surprised when she brought
Boyfriend here.
She fought like a demon. Any cat, no matter how much bigger. I told the
tale on here before about the black cat that bullied Boyfriend, The Enemy.
He had the temerity to come into the house to continue his persecution.
Bad move.
She rose from her bed by the fire (she was quite elderly at the time)
chased him up the walls and then outside and gave him the hiding of his
life.
He never came back.

Tweed

let him on your knee for a few days and pet watch for abscesses, Lee

Old May 28th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Poor boyfie.

I have been told that the more noise from a cat fight the less damage
there is. This doesn't help when it's your cat I know.

I hope so

Sootie had an
almighty fight a couple of weeks ago. She was about to come inside when
she heard something and shot up the garden and straight up on the seven
foot fence to chase something away. at top, I couldn't see anything but
she shot over into the garden next door then all hell let loose. I called,
stupidly I know but I couldn't do anything else. Then after about five
minutes of howling, hissing and screeching (not to mention DH calling me
from upstairs, as he had gone to bed, to tell me there was a cat fight,
"You don't say" I thought) all went quite. I called, sootie came back
after a few minutes but was very agitated. she wouldn't come inside or be
fussed. Then off she went again over the fence. My heart was in my mouth
but she came back after a while. I tried to check her over but like Boyfie
she would have none of it. She was very upset all night prowling from one
window to another.

Purrs for boyfie to calm down soon and not be hurt in any way.

I have found that if he has a fight, which is very rarely, he gets terribly
upset and agitated, like Sootie. No way could I have checked him over when
he came in as you discovered yourself.

He seems absolutely fine, no sign of injuries that I can see, no sign of
limping. Probably it was mostly hiss and spit with a standoff that ended
in:
Boyfie: you are in my front garden
Other cat: No, it is mine
Boyfie: It absolutely isn't, want to fight about it?
Other cat: Yes, you are a wimpie boy and you need KFC to protect you.
Boyfie: I will fight to the death, then.

In reality, Boyfie is far too gentle to do this, but he can give an account
of himself if he really has to.
I suspect that the yowling was about "I can intimidate you, without the need
to fight"

Old June 9th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

[...]

I'm so glad Boyfie seems ok.

Purrs that he's seen that other cat off and doesn't need to fight it
again.

it was just "get the **** off my property." No injuries, just bad words.
He will not tolerate any black cat again since he was bullied by one. and I
doubt he would fight unless it was a black one. It doesn't have to be the
one that did it. He remembers that black cat that stalked him and KFC had
to sort it out.
He is now braver and he can fight his own battles, but a black cat is his
bete noire
Tweed

Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old June 10th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
He is now braver and he can fight his own battles, but a black cat is his
bete noire
Tweed

LITERALLY! ;-) ("bete noire" = "black beast")
Old June 10th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

He is now braver and he can fight his own battles, but a black cat is his
bete noire

LITERALLY! ;-) ("bete noire" = "black beast")

But what does it mean figuratively? The fight one can't resist?

I thought "bete" meant "stupid". Although I guess I can see where it
might mean both stupid and beast, even though I don't agree that beasts
are stupid.

--
Joyce

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
-- Joseph Wood Krutch
Old June 10th 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

He is now braver and he can fight his own battles, but a black cat is
his
bete noire

LITERALLY! ;-) ("bete noire" = "black beast")

But what does it mean figuratively? The fight one can't resist?

I thought "bete" meant "stupid". Although I guess I can see where it
might mean both stupid and beast, even though I don't agree that beasts
are stupid.

--

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/b%C3%AAte_noire
explains it perfectly.

Tweed

Old June 11th 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

I thought "bete" meant "stupid". Although I guess I can see where it
might mean both stupid and beast, even though I don't agree that beasts
are stupid.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/b%C3%AAte_noire
explains it perfectly.

Thank you. I just went to Google translate, and indeed, the word "bete"
translated to "beast". Then I went to another translator and entered
"dumb" in English. "Bete" was one of the translations. Whew, for a moment
I thought I had totally made up the translation.

I guess the word is mostly used to mean beast, but you could insult
someone by calling them "bete" (essentially calling them a "dumb beast"?).

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

yowling cat stopped yowling yepp Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 06 10:38 PM
yowling cat yepp Cat health & behaviour 0 June 24th 06 09:36 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 20 December 2nd 05 11:41 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 4 December 2nd 05 11:34 PM
tried everything for Yowling Ensoul100 Cat health & behaviour 33 September 22nd 03 06:13 AM