Follow-up: Wish Me Luck!

Old August 22nd 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default Follow-up: Wish Me Luck!

"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor (even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor. (I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

Tweed

It will be 12 years in November since I last smoked, but I still get the
craving especially if I smell one.
--
Adrian
Old August 22nd 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor (even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor. (I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

Tweed

One of my brothers became addicted to heroin when we lived in SE Asia.
He was in high school. My parents let him smoke cigarettes to ease the
withdrawal.

Jill
Old August 22nd 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor
(even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes
was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor.
(I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're
about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

Tweed

It will be 12 years in November since I last smoked, but I still get the
craving especially if I smell one.
--
Adrian

getting off nicotine is also as bad as getting off drink if you are an
alcoholic. Well done that man.

Tweed

Old August 23rd 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

And did it help?
Tweed

Old August 23rd 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

It seemed to. Of course my mother slept in the hallway, on the floor,
across from his bedroom door. My father slept across the door to the
balcony so he couldn't sneak out to "score". I'm sure those were
extremely stressful times for them and they did whatever they thought
was best.

My mom, brother and I came back to the US and lived with her parents for
6 months. Oh the small town mentality!

My dad had to finish his tour of duty in Thailand. My oldest brother
was about to graduate high school. They made the decision not to yank
him out of school; let him graduate with his friends.

So Mom, my middle brother and I moved to this tiny town in Ohio. I
hated living there. The people were ignorant. When the teacher
introduced me to the class and said I'd just moved there from Bangkok,
the kids started calling me "Jap". Oh dear. If anyone needed history
lessons it's these children. I did enjoy getting to spend time with my
grandparents. I just wish I'd been old enough to ask them questions I
only thought of later. I was really happy when my father and brother
moved back to the States. Anything to get out of that town in Ohio!

Jill
Old August 23rd 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

Yes, congratulations! My late husband quit smoking, but only after he'd
been diagnosed with lung cancer, and by then it was too late.

Joy

Old August 23rd 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

My grandfather died of lung cancer. He never smoked. We think it was
because he was a carpenter and inhaled wood dust.

Old August 23rd 12, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

Lung cancer can occur (although not often) in non-smokers for reasons no
one understands - one of my grandmothers, a non-smoking small-town
housewife who was never exposed to any of the usual industrial suspects,
died of lung cancer. And others who smoke heavily all their lives, like
my father, die of something else entirely at an advanced age. Smoking
increases the risk of lung cancer but doesn't guarantee it - and there's
no way to predict in advance which smoker will get it and which won't.

--
Cheryl
Old August 23rd 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that's a possibility. As we learned when my husband was going
through his treatments, there are three different kinds of lung cancer. The
kind my husband had (squamous cell) is almost always caused by smoking.

Joy

Old August 23rd 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

That's true, but a much higher percentage of smokers get lung cancer than of
non-smokers.

Joy