OT the Senior Citizens Playgroup

Old September 26th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default OT the Senior Citizens Playgroup

dgk wrote:

I was too young and immature to handle college; I treated it like a 10
month per year summer camp. I did graduate in the usual four years but
I got by mostly on natural ability and really didn't get out what I
should have. So I'd like to go back and do the art and culture part
which I completely ignored.

What's your degree in?

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call
it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling
the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".

-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"
Old September 27th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 22/09/2012 6:20 AM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
How nice it is to ignore the alarm clock. I get up when I wake up and
it's not 6.30 am like it was.

AMEN to that!

Boyfie has adjusted to 9 a.m before he starts moaning about starvation.

My cats are used to being fed "the good stuff" at night, just before I
go to bed. (There's always dry food available in a feeder gadget, if
they're hungry, but they've never been formally fed in the morning, so
have no expectations of "breakfast".)

Thats how I've got my two trained, now. It also helps to get me to bed
at reasonable time, because they start "starving" about half an hour
before hand. It also means Pickle will appear from his outdoor
adventures in time for it if he's gone out, so I don't worry about him
being outside all night.

I used to feed Shmogg breakfast after I got out of bed, and dinner as
soon as I got home from work. Which meant he woke me up for breakfast
and hounded me as soon as I got home when what I really wanted was just
a few minutes to myself. The current arrangement is MUCH better.

Yowie
Old September 27th 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default OT the Senior Citizens Playgroup: now Elderly cars

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message

In any case, people who like to show off their belongings are pretty
boring. People who think their stuff is better than your stuff are just
plain annoying.

Well, it's true that Mr F cannot pretend to be a big Mercedes to show
off
with. He's a small Citreon but he starts first turn of the key every
time
and that's what I want. I'm not interested in having a car to show off
my neighbours in. He is unlikely to be stolen either as he is elderly
and
was never fast when he was new. Sort of like me ;-)
Well, I don't class myself as elderly yet but I thought that was funny..

Oh, I get that. You should see my car. It has all its dents and scratches.
It looks every bit of its 15 years. I like to think it keeps people from
breaking in, but it doesn't always - that car has been broken into twice.
Never actually stolen though.

(One of the break-ins was last January. They went through the trunk and
grabbed some bags, not bothering to find out what was in them first.
Here's
what was in them: one had my swimming stuff - a ratty old bathing suit,
ear plugs and goggles. Woo hoo, what a haul. The other bag had my empty
lunch tupperware. I wish I could have seen their faces when they found out
what they'd managed to make off with. And losing the bathing suit gave
me the perfect excuse to buy a new one. )

That's really funny what they managed to steal!
Anyway I hope you all will be glad to hear that my beloved Mr F has passed
his test for another year, with only minor things for my mechanic to repair.
The test itself costs 35 or 40 quid and I had him serviced at the same time.
The whole thing cost, with a perfect, reliable car returned to me, was 155.
Bargain for another year's motoring.

The bad news is that Tony, my mechanic, says that Mr F will need a bit more
work to get him through his test next year, probably twice the cost but hey,
where could I buy a car for 300 quid then that had been well serviced for 8
years, driven by a careful lady owner and would give me another year of
carefree driving? I couldn't. I will keep him until he is not economic to
repair versus the cost of a younger car that I don't know the history of.
I've had three French cars, two Renaults and this Citreon. They were so
much more reliable than my Ford that I would always choose one again - the
only downside is that *if* they ever need a new part, it's quite expensive
but as they rarely do, if Mr F dies eventually, I will get a similar one, a
car older than you really wanted, but owned by someone who is giving up
driving through ill health, low mileage and well serviced.
My last three cars have been bought like that. They all lasted me for
years.
I've had Mr F for 8 years, I bought him from a 90 y o. We talked for ages,
he had been a chicken breeder so we had a lot in common but eventually we
got round to "how much do want me to pay you for the car?"
Worth every penny.
Tweed

I think all makes of car are getting more reliable, I've been very happy
with my last two Fords. No doubt I would be just as happy with a different
make but probably not happier.
--
Adrian http://community.webshots.com/clowderuk
Old September 28th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message

[...]

My first car after passing my test was a Skoda estate. OMG. It kept
steering to the left and I found out eventually that it had thrown its
previous owner into the ditch. My husband wrote it off half an hour after
it had passed the MoT he drove it under a pickup truck, it took the roof off
and he was lucky to walk away from that.
After that I got a Renault, it was reliable for years and when it died I got
a Ford Fiesta which was pain as it wouldn't start if it was raining, I
wasn't too unhappy when someone ran into the back of it at speed and wrote
it off.
So I got another Renault which also lasted me for years, and after him I got
Mr F, also a French car, a little Citreon. I thought I'd had him for 7 or 8
years but whilst renewing his tax online, I see I got him in July 03 and
will have him for another year still.. He has no rust at all despite being
born in 96, except a little bit under his wing which Tony says I will have
to have done next year.
He starts first turn of the key every time and that's all I want. One of my
brothers asked me why don't get myself a newer, better car.
I don't need one was the answer. Mr F is perfect for me. He only sips petrol
and gets me from A to B. Not fast but I don't want fast any more ;-)

Old October 4th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
So I thought I should get out more so I went along to it. We play
scrabble and dominoes and can do jigsaws if we want to, some are doing a
1000 piece which will take them weeks as we only have two hours.
They are all nice. I was demolished at dominoes last week by a 90 yo.
I am by far the youngest there We pay £1 a week and get a meal out in the
summer and at Christmas.
I did a jigsaw last time and completed it, next week it will be playing
scrabble with them.

I thrashed Stan at dominoes yesterday to get my own back from the first
week. He's really good. I thought he was 90, he's 93.
It's luck and and noticing a bit what others play, and Stan now knows I am
on to him; -)
The jigsaw people keep on doing their 1,000 piece. I'd quite like to do that
next week as I can see some pieces to go in.

Old October 4th 12, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:12:28 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

The jigsaw puzzles are surprisingly fun to do. The practical person in
me doesn't see the point of breaking a picture into little pieces just
to put it back together again and then break it up again to put it
away. But the small bit of romantic finds it fun.
Old October 4th 12, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I've always liked jigsaw puzzles. I think they suit the slightly
obsessive side of my personality; the bit that means I can distract
myself from boredom or irritation by doing something repetitive. Sewing
or other needlework does the same thing for me, as do many computer
games, but oddly enough, housework doesn't.

I have had to reconcile myself to never actually completing a jigsaw
puzzle. While I have learned that the best thing to do when seeing a cat
lying across the completed part is to let the cat get up and out of
there on his or her own rather than try to pick him up, I have not
figured out how to stop pieces from sticking to the fur and being
carried away to points unknown.

--
Cheryl
Old October 4th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

LOL to the last sentence. I find computer games, word puzzles and
crocheting helpful for the same reasons you mention. However, for some
reason, I could never get into jigsaw puzzles.

Joy

Old October 4th 12, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Ah yes, we didn't have cats where I was doing the puzzle but we did
have small children and oddly the pieces seem to stick to them as
well.
Old October 5th 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
So I thought I should get out more so I went along to it. We play
scrabble and dominoes and can do jigsaws if we want to, some are doing
a 1000 piece which will take them weeks as we only have two hours.
They are all nice. I was demolished at dominoes last week by a 90 yo.
I am by far the youngest there We pay £1 a week and get a meal out in
the summer and at Christmas. I did a jigsaw last time and completed
it, next week it will be playing scrabble with them.

I thrashed Stan at dominoes yesterday to get my own back from the first
week. He's really good. I thought he was 90, he's 93. It's luck and
and noticing a bit what others play, and Stan now knows I am on to
him; -) The jigsaw people keep on doing their 1,000 piece. I'd quite
like to do that next week as I can see some pieces to go in.

I find jigsaw puzzles quite therapeutic, as I do chopping at trees and
bushes in my garden.

Sweep (RB) used to love to help. She would lie down on the bit i'd done to
make sure they didn't move.

They have a thingie to roll up like special mat that brings it back as you
left it.
I wanted to join in with this last week but they only had a table for 4,
although I could see how they could have rearranged the tables to let me.
So now I play dominoes and look sideways at the 1000 piece knowing where
some pieces should go ;-)
I really want to stretch over and put the best bit into place but it is
probably not allowed.
I also think the people there are used to sitting in the same seat every
week, so how to know whose chair you are sitting in as a newbie? I sat in
Stan's seat last week and will go round the room sitting in everyone's in
the next few weeks. They will be all too polite to mention it.

Tweed