Need Recipies from non USAers

Old January 7th 05, 05:17 AM
Tanada

Default Need Recipies from non USAers

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we
post troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite
recipe from your home country. Please include your name and country as
part of the recipe.

Thanks to you all,

Pam S.

Old January 7th 05, 05:28 AM
Bill Stock

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we post
troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite recipe
from your home country. Please include your name and country as part of
the recipe.

Thanks to you all,

Pam S.

Here's a link for Pork Pie, Tourtie
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1826...244202,00.html

Sorry too lazy too type.

--
Bill in Canada

Old January 7th 05, 10:09 AM
badwilson

Pad Thai (Fried Noodles Thai style)

2 tablespoons oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup peeled raw prawns or shrimp
3 oz tofu, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 egg
2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
1 cup warm water
7 oz rice noodles pre soaked in warm water for 2 min
3 tablespoons ground peanuts
1 cup beansprouts
3 green onions, in 1/2 inch slices
1/2 lime
1 teaspoon sugar
Dried chili

Place oil in wok and heat for 20 seconds. Add garlic, fry until it
becomes fragrant. Add prawns and fry until they change colour.
Add tofu and crack egg straight into wok, immediately add fish sauce
and sugar. Stir rapidly until it becomes scrambled. Push up onto
side of wok.
Pour some warm water into bottom of wok and add noodles. Stir the
noodles in water until they become soft.
Add peanuts and bean sprouts and mix everything together. Fry for
another 20 seconds.
Add green onions. When noodles become dry turn off heat and squeeze
the lime over the noodles. Sprinkle on some dried chili for
spicyness.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

ink.net...

Old January 7th 05, 10:43 AM
Tish Silberbauer

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:17:27 GMT, Tanada wrote:

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we
post troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite
recipe from your home country. Please include your name and country as
part of the recipe.

Thanks to you all,

Pam S.

Here is an on-line recipe (assembly instructions, really) for
lamingtons, a somewhat old-fashioned, but very popular Australian cake
/ sweet

http://www.aussieslang.com/features/...ons-recipe.asp

Of course, half of Amanda's fun will be "translating" it into
USA-speak! For example, I'm not sure what dessicated coconut is
called in the USA, but it is dried, shredded coconut. It is easy to
get in Australia, so I assume it is easy to get in the USA also.

Will she have to make these recipes? If so lamingtons are easy and
tasty, if somewhat messy.

Tish, ahhh, Australia
Old January 7th 05, 11:28 AM
Debbie Wilson

Not necessarily my absolute favourite recipe, but still delicious, and
very English!

Toad in the Hole with Roasted-onion Gravy
Recipe by Delia Smith, www.deliaonline.com
(there is also a picture on the web site)

Serves 2-3
6 good-quality pork sausages - about 14 oz (400 g)
1 tablespoon groundnut or other flavourless oil (if necessary)

For the batter:
3 oz (75 g) plain flour
1 large egg
3 fl oz (75 ml) semi-skimmed milk
salt and freshly milled black pepper

For the onion gravy:
8 oz (225 g) onions, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons groundnut or other flavourless oil
1 level teaspoon golden caster sugar
1 dessertspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 level teaspoon mustard powder
15 fl oz (425 ml) vegetable stock made from 11/2 level teaspoons
Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder dissolved in 15 fl oz (425 ml)
boiling water
1 rounded dessertspoon plain flour
salt and freshly milled black pepper

You will also need a solid-based, flameproof roasting tin with a base of
9 x 6 inches (23 x 15 cm), 2 inches (5 cm) deep, and a baking tray 14 x
10 inches (35 x 25.5 cm).

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C).

Begin by making the batter, and to do this sieve the flour into a large
bowl, holding the sieve up high to give the flour a good airing. Now,
with the back of a spoon, make a well in the centre, break the egg into
it and add some salt and pepper. Now, measure the milk and 2 fl oz (55
ml) water in a measuring jug, then, using an electric hand whisk on a
slow speed, begin to whisk the egg into the flour - as you whisk, the
flour around the edges will slowly be incorporated. Then add the liquid
gradually, stopping to scrape the flour into the mixture. Whisk until
the batter is smooth. Now the batter is ready for use, and although it's
been rumoured that batter left to stand is better, I have never found
this, so just make it whenever it's convenient.

Now place the sliced onions in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of the oil and the
sugar and toss the onions around to get the lightest coating, then
spread them on the baking tray. Next arrange the sausages in the
roasting tin, then place the onions on a high shelf in the oven, with
the sausages on a lower shelf, and set a timer for 10 minutes. When the
timer goes off, remove the sausages from the oven but leave the onions
in for a further 4-5 minutes - they need to be nicely blackened round
the edges. When they are ready, remove them and leave to one side.

Now place the roasting tin containing the sausages over direct heat
turned to medium and, if the sausages haven't released much fat, add the
tablespoon of oil. When the tin is really hot and the oil is beginning
to shimmer - it must be searing hot - quickly pour the batter in all
around the sausages. Immediately return the roasting tin to the oven,
this time on the highest shelf, and cook the whole thing for 30 minutes.

Now for the gravy. First add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder
to the stock, then add the onions from the baking tray to a medium-sized
pan. Now add the second teaspoon of oil, then, using a wooden spoon,
stir in the plain flour. Stir all this together over a medium heat and
then switch to a whisk, then gradually add the stock to the pan,
whisking all the time, until it's all in. Then bring it up to simmering
point and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to check the seasoning,
then pour into a warmed serving jug. When the toad is ready, it should
be puffed brown and crisp and the centre should look cooked and not too
squidgy. Serve it immediately with the gravy, and it's absolutely
wonderful with mashed potato.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old January 7th 05, 02:25 PM
Marina

This isn't really my favourite recipe, since I don't eat meat, but it's
a very traditional Finnish thing. I translated the recipe from Finnish,
now Amanda will have to translate the litres and centigrades. eg

Carelian hot-pot

400 g pork
500 g beef
500 g lamb
3 onions
2 bay leaves
2 tsp crushed black peppers
2 tsp salt
c. 1 litre water

Dice the meat and put in oven dish. Peel and slice onions. Lay onion
rings in a layer on top of the meat. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
Boil water and pour over meat. Preheat oven to about 90-100 °C. Let stew
for 8-10 hours.

The heat may never pass boiling point, so that the broth remains clear.
You can also add potatoes and root vegetables to the pot.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 7th 05, 02:55 PM
Karen AKA KajiKit

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:17:27 GMT, Tanada wrote:

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we
post troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite
recipe from your home country. Please include your name and country as
part of the recipe.

Thanks to you all,

Pam S.

Pam, my mother is from South Africa and here's a traditional recipe
her mother taught her for spice cookies... they're delicious and very
easy to make too

SOET KOEKIES

INGREDIENTS: 2 cups plain flour
3 oz. butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
Pinch ground cloves

METHOD

Cream butter and sugar. Then add egg and beat well.

Mix dry ingredients well and then work gradually into egg mixture.

The dough should be stiff enough to roll out.

Bake in a fairly hot oven (about 400° F.) for ten to fifteen minutes.

Old January 7th 05, 06:21 PM
Irulan

Here'a one from the Philippines where I was born. This is even more
delicious when eaten the next day.

Chicken Pochero-Style (Pocherong Manok)
The Philippine Cookbook/Reynaldo Alejandro Servings Prep. Time Cooking
Time Calories % from Fat Fat Sodium Carbohydrates Protein Cholesterol
4-6 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

INGREDIENTS:
2 to 3-pound chicken 1 chorizo de Bilbao or pepperoni 10 peppercorns
salt to taste 2 plantain bananas 2 small potatoes, quartered
1/2 small green cabbage, quartered 1/2 small head bak choy (Chinese
vegetable), cut into 2-inch slices 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed 1 small onion, diced 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water 8-ounce can chick peas

1 Stew chicken in enough water to cook. Add sausage, peppercorns and
salt and cook until done. Drain the juice and set aside.
2 Boil plantains separately (10 minutes if green, 5 minutes if ripe).
Peel after cooking and set aside.
3 Using the drained juice of the chicken, cook potatoes until done;
add the cabbage and bak choy and set aside.
4 Saute the garlic, onion, tomato sauce, chicken and sausage in the 2
tablespoons of oil. Add 1/2 cup water and chick peas and continue to cook
for about 10 minutes. Serve chicken with cabbage, bak choy, potatoes and
bananas.

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
ink.net...

Old January 7th 05, 09:08 PM
Bev

Irulan wrote:

[...]

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we post
troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite recipe
from your home country. Please include your name and country as part of
the recipe.

Thanks to you all,

Pam S.

New Zealanders and Australians fight over who invented this dish named
after the famous ballerina, Pavlova. When I was in my callow youth it
was something to be ashamed of, not being able to master the art of
'pavlova' making. Mine came out too chewy, two hard and crumbly, too
pale, too brown. Nowadays they sell magnificent huge Pavlovas in the
shops which makes it possible to lie to overseas visitors and tell 'em
you knocked up 'the national dish' - just for them, s****** s******.
Here it is

PAVLOVA

3 egg whites,
3 tablespoons cold water,
1 cup (8 oz) castor sugar,
a quarter of a teaspoon salt,
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
1 teaspoon vinegar

Whisk egg whites until very stiff. Add water and beat again. Add
sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until
the meringue is thick and glossy. fold in salt, cornflour, vanilla
essence and vinegar. Spread in prepared 8 inch tin and bake in
electric oven for 15 minutes at 350 d. F. then turn the oven off and
leave the pavlova for one hour.

Cool the pavlova away from draughts and peel off papers. Turn on to a
plate dusted with icing sugar. Decorate when completely cold, with
whipped cream and fruit. Serves 8.

To prepare tin: Cut a circle and a 3 inch strip of greaseproof paper
to fit the bottom and sides of the tin. Grease paper with butter,
place on tin and just before putting the pavlova into the tin run cold
water onto the paper. Pour
out all the water. A few drops will stick to the paper.

Note (I don't bother with any of that and just put it on a piece of
greased paper in the oven. Make it dip in the middle and then you can
fill any dent with extra cream.
We cut up kiwi fruit and decorate the top with that or nice fat
strawberries.

Enjoy

Bev
--
Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit.
Old January 7th 05, 11:08 PM
Yowie

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we
post troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite
recipe from your home country. Please include your name and country as
part of the recipe.

Australia:

Cheese and vegemite swirls.

Some sort of savoury pastry - I like flakey but any will do.
If not already in a thin enough layer, roll out to the approximate thickness
you'd use as a pie crust
"Stain" one side with with vegemite (an Aussie would know how much to put
on, but its hard to describe to others. A very thin layer)
Sprinkle with your favourite cookable cheese - paremesan is nice.
Roll up like a jam roll, and slice into bite-size slices
Cook pastry according to instructions.

Yowie (aka Vicky Chapman)