PURRS for ABELARD, please- he's very ill, at vet

Old May 9th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default PURRS for ABELARD, please- he's very ill, at vet

"Yowie" wrote

| The thing i can't figure out is why a plumber would recommend a bowl
| cleaner, when almost invariably, the problem with drains is the build up
of
| fats and hair, which is usually solved by products which are strongly
| alkaline (caustic). Although caustic will cause nasty chemical burns too.

This wasn't for a clogged drain, it was for the vertical plastic pipe inside
the tank, which according to the rooter guy builds up scale (from hard
water) and that's why the flushing becomes sluggish. It's not a part that
can be replaced without replacing the entire commode or something. I'm no
plumber so I don't even know what it's called.

Meanwhile, I have raked through my memory and I am pretty sure that I never
bought any Vanisol at all. I did get some sort of similar (but weaker)
product and it didn't work, and I didn't have any of it left, either.

So, whatever is going on with Aby remains a mystery. I am going to place a
rusted nail in the liquid in that jar and see what happens, if anything, and
report back. It looks like soapy water to me.

Old May 9th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On May 8, 1:09 pm, "Pat" wrote:
Breaking long silence to ask for mega purrs for Abelard, who may be dying. I
have lurked here occasionally but still did not feel right about posting.
And now, I must ask for purrs for my little guy.

It started a bit after 12 noon, Aby was laying in my lap, all seemed well,
then suddenly he began to convulse.... I could not figure out what was
happening, thought he was maybe having a seizure, but it went on and on and
on, meanwhile I was trying to reach every vet in the book, none were
answering -- all were apparently out to lunch, finally had to just try to
get to one quick as I could. My car actually started!!! but trying to leave
the vet it almost would not. It's not even insured....

I am not 100% positive but it appears he may have ingested a bit of a scale
remover called Vanisol which is 23% hydrochloric acid. It took almost two
hours to figure this out because I had no idea there was even anything like
this in the house, let alone accessible to a cat.... TED gave me a hard
time, his social skills are not that great, thought my being upset and
asking questions and freaking out was a reflection on him or lack of trust
or something. Now I am at home, going out of my mind. My baby may be dying!!

I am just rambling, going insane, wanting to help my baby but what can I
do?? And the vet meanwhile has a full schedule of regular patients to tend.

I just called back over there, they said Aby is "stable" for now. Thank
Bast! Please, keep poor Abelard in your thoughts today. He will be staying
overnight at the vet, they said, but who knows, that may change.

About two years ago roto-rooter worked on my sewer line and seeing how
sluggish the commode was *after* rooting he told me to get this product, but
I really don't remember ever buying it, I don't think I was able to find any
in town. That was two years ago, so who knows.... And if I did buy the
stuff, why on EARTH was there some of it sitting in a plain glass jar in the
kitchen, after all this time??? But what else could it be??? I got a tiny
smidgen on my hand when I handled the jar, and it sure did burn.... if it
burns so much on the relatively tough skin of a human hand, why would any
animal ingest more than a tiny smidgen? And I wonder if in fact strong
hydrochloric acid causes convulsions, in such a tiny amount?

Will Abelard make it? I'm asking for your strongest and best purrs for my
sweet innocent baby boy, who is the very last kitty in the world to deserve
such suffering. I feel terrible for allowing this to happen!

Purrs for Abelard to make it and come home healthy again!

Melissa
Old May 9th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

| So, whatever is going on with Aby remains a mystery. I am going to place a
| rusted nail in the liquid in that jar and see what happens, if anything,
and
| report back. It looks like soapy water to me.

I put 3 rusty nails into the jar, and nothing seems to have changed with
them. So whatever is in the jar must not be caustic. I guess the burning
sensation on my hand was imaginary, but I am still afraid to touch the
liquid in there.

Old May 9th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

He woke up and stretched a bit just now. Looked like he was thinking about
trying to stand up, but he seems to have no motor control. I asked the vet
before we left why he was so sluggish, was he heavily tranquilized or
something? And the vet said no, the medication has worn off and the
sluggishness is from "the poison".

I note the following items on the bill:

INJ ACEPROMAZINE
INJ ATROPINE SO4
INJ DEXAMETHAZONE

I know not what any of those are, but the were given around 1 PM, and we
left the vet around 4:35. I think the vet was jerking me around, because
later he said he isn't at all sure the cat was poisoned! Also, there is a
Vitamin K injection listed on the bill, and I asked what it was for, and the
vet said "Go look it up on the internet". I said, "Why don't you just tell
me?" then he said it was in case "the poison" was a blood thinner.

I really can't stand this vet....

Old May 9th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

He woke up and stretched a bit just now. Looked like he was thinking about
trying to stand up, but he seems to have no motor control. I asked the vet
before we left why he was so sluggish, was he heavily tranquilized or
something? And the vet said no, the medication has worn off and the
sluggishness is from "the poison".

I know not what any of those are, but the were given around 1 PM, and we
left the vet around 4:35. I think the vet was jerking me around, because
later he said he isn't at all sure the cat was poisoned!

It sounds like he just doesn't know what's wrong. So maybe he's partly
considering the idea that Aby was poisoned, but also thinking maybe that's
not it at all. I suppose it could be an internal condition, not caused
by anything he ate or was bitten by, etc.

I really can't stand this vet....

He doesn't sound very socially skilled, as you posted out. I guess what
really counts is, can he help Abelard? But it doesn't help your anxiety
in the meantime.

Continued purrs,

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 9th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"kilikini" wrote

| I'm so sorry. I hope he's going to be okay. You've got our purrs going
at
| major volume.
|
| kili

Thanks Christy. I spoke with a friend who suggested this could have been a
stroke, or the onset of epilepsy. Abelard is sleeping now, seemingly at
peace, and seems warmer than before. He has also stretched his legs a few
times when I stuck my hand under the blanket to pet him, but he hasn't
opened his eyes again. Last time he did, the 3rd eyelids were almost
completely covering both eyeballs.

Old May 9th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default PING Pat

Are you seeing this post, Pat?

Old May 9th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Mishi wrote:
Pat wrote:
[...]

Hi Pat,

Acepromazine is a tranquilizer - I have given it to some of my cats in
the past to prevent car sickness. It makes them VERY wobbly and drunk
acting. I bet you he is reacting to that.

Atropine is to slow the production of saliva and other secretions whilst he
was tranquilized so he didn't drown in his own liquids, and hte
dexamethazone is a powerful NSAID - non steroidal anti inflammatory drug.

Vit K helps clot the blood, which is exactly what you'd give if you thought
that a poison would 'thin the blood' (like aspirin, for example).

Your vet may be a total @$$hole, but (with my non-vetinary opinion) he took
all the precautions you would for an "unknown poison".

Yowie

Old May 9th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote

| Atropine is to slow the production of saliva and other secretions whilst
he
| was tranquilized so he didn't drown in his own liquids, and hte
| dexamethazone is a powerful NSAID - non steroidal anti inflammatory drug.
|
| Vit K helps clot the blood, which is exactly what you'd give if you
thought
| that a poison would 'thin the blood' (like aspirin, for example).
|
| Your vet may be a total @$$hole, but (with my non-vetinary opinion) he
took
| all the precautions you would for an "unknown poison".

Yes, I agree he is at least a skilled vet (and surgeon, I might add), but I
wish he would treat *me* with a bit more sensitivity. There was no need for
him to be so nasty.

Kitty is still resting, although a while ago he woke and tried to pull
himself up - probably has to pee by now - got halfway up and fell back to
sleep. I'll try putting him back in the litterbox soon. Poor little guy.
He's the kitty-love of my life and I feel so bad that I can't do more to
help him, don't even know if he's in pain. I just keep touching him gently
and watching him, and of course praying that he recovers from whatever it
was, with no permanent damage.

Old May 9th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote

| Are you seeing this post, Pat?

Yes, why do you ask?

Abelard again (pic) Pat Cat anecdotes 7 December 5th 06 07:41 AM
Abelard is gone again Pat Cat anecdotes 29 September 13th 05 05:52 PM
Oh, Abelard....!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 26 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Abelard going to TED Pat Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 05 12:40 AM
Abelard Says Yes Pat Cat anecdotes 4 April 28th 05 07:25 PM