Wondering about Development of Kitten with no Littermates

Old June 18th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

Default Wondering about Development of Kitten with no Littermates

Hello, all. I am fostering a mamma and her kitten from our shelter. She
had only one baby that lived. He's now 3+ weeks old.

He seems on course wrt general development - eyes/ears open, growing
well, trying to walk (he's like a little drunk right now, falling and
rolling over every other step!). I handle him a lot, as do others, to
socialize him. All that's going well.

Now that he's becoming more active I'm worried he might need extra help
from me to fill in for his lack of littermates. He responds to sparring
with my hand as expected with his little paws. Does anyone think I need
to do more than the basic hand-wrastlin'? I can only keep him apart from
mamma for brief periods right now. Normally when back at the next he'd
be tumbling with his siblings. Do I need to worry about his physical
development and coordination, or can a kitten adapt and develop
naturally without siblings?

Any pointers will be appreciated. The goal, of course, is to ensure he
is strong & healthy and becomes adoptable.
Old June 18th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

Poe wrote:

when back at the next

I meant "nest", not "next". Augh :-(
Old June 19th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Hi Poe,

IMO I would not use my hands to wrestle with the kitten. It's teaching
them that hands = playthings. Cute when they're little, but not when
they're older. Use a toy, or let him kick an old sock stuffed with
fiberfill.

Though it's best to have littermates, a single kitten should develop
normally. Mama will teach him manners and reprimand him if he gets too
rambunctious. When he's weaned and has a clean bill of health, a
younger, active cat would make a great playmate/role model for him.
Old June 19th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

My cat, Piglet was raised by a dog who, taught her what she needed to know.
Playing with toys is the best idea so as not to teach them than hands mean,
grab and bite. We just left a lot of little toys near Piglet and she would
have a ball with them. Had a battery operated mouse which gave her all the
exercise she needed.

Old June 19th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

"Rene S" wrote in message
Hi Poe,

IMO I would not use my hands to wrestle with the kitten. It's teaching
them that hands = playthings. Cute when they're little, but not when
they're older. Use a toy, or let him kick an old sock stuffed with
fiberfill.

Though it's best to have littermates, a single kitten should develop
normally. Mama will teach him manners and reprimand him if he gets too
rambunctious. When he's weaned and has a clean bill of health, a
younger, active cat would make a great playmate/role model for him.

Thanks both of you who responded. The battery-operated mouse is a neat
idea for a "playmate" (or at least something to stalk!). I didn't think
of the downside of using my hands for play. I have plenty of toys from
other cats I can provide for him.

Cheers!
Old June 19th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

Get a lazer dot and watch the exercise rate increase or a feather on like a
fishing pole. A single cat should do fine.

Old June 19th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Another thing I just thought of is giving him a stuffed animal to
cuddle up with when he's sleepy. When we found a stray (single)
kitten, she liked to sleep with stuffed animals. Something like a
beanie baby is about the right size.

I'm wondering... Karla Cat anecdotes 16 February 4th 09 06:47 AM
Littermates not getting along [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 6 December 23rd 07 06:39 PM
London 2012 Olympic development site: feral cats wafflycat Cat anecdotes 6 October 10th 07 08:20 PM
needed: website telling me about kittens development happilycrabby Cat health & behaviour 1 September 9th 05 03:00 AM
New development in Sick CAT Gia Cat health & behaviour 8 January 5th 04 06:24 AM