why do cats get on your chest while you sleep ?

Old July 13th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default why do cats get on your chest while you sleep ?

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:52:12 PM UTC-6, [no name] wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

You know, someone near here had dumped a teensy black kitten a couple of years ago. I had gone outside, and heard this tiny little baby kitten crying, and crying, and crying. I found him under my house (I tempted him out with some tuna). I named him Endymion.

He was beautiful and I loved him. He was maybe 10 weeks old. One morning I noticed he was slower coming to breakfast. By afternoon he was having to drag his hind legs. I took him to the vet, and she did all sorts of tests. Could find nothing wrong. No injury, no bacteria or virus. She thought it might be non-bacterial encephalitis, but wouldn't have been contagious to the other cats. He would have to be taken to the litter box, and "helped" to potty. He might get better or he might not.

She claimed the odds were very much against him. I talked with hubby, and we decided that he needed to be sent on his way. I went down there, I held him close (and cried my eyes out). The vet came in, gave him his shot, and on her way out, she said... "We could have saved him, he would have been fine. You just needed to give him more time."

That one preys on my mind, even now. I'd only known him for a week (but he would come bounding out whenever I would call Endy, Endy, Endy). Who knew that someone could get so attached so quickly? I still cry (like now), when I think of him. He was such a sweet little guy.

OMG, I would think so! That horrifies me - I have tears in my eyes just
thinking about it. The most tragic death is one that was preventable, IMO..
Especially when you're talking about a baby, of any species. This is really
upsetting, and it didn't even happen to me. That woman should not be
allowed to practice medicine, veterinary or otherwise. This is beyond
cruelty toward you, although it's that, too. But what about the kitten? She
took his life for no reason. She sounds insane. I'm so sorry you had such
a horrible and unprofessional vet in that situation.

Joyce

Firstly, to Lesley and Hopitus and CatNipped and Joy and Phoenix and you Joyce, thank you for your very kind thoughts and words.

About the vet:

She had purchased the practice from a vet I truly adored. Krista (the former vet) would work with me, she would help me to help the strays and ferals (only charging me her cost for items). She would give me antibiotics when the bitty ferals had URIs (she knew I knew what to look for), without ever seeing them. The new one (who did *not* last beyond that visit, for which I was charged $298) had no understanding of people.

When I'd been so upset, the techs (who had worked with Krista) both came in and gave me hugs. After the statement, I got very angry (not enough to swear at her though, I didn't want to offend the tech in the room), so I cried worse. Both techs told her she didn't need to do that to me, that I was a great customer, that I referred people, and I paid timely. Within the week, both techs were gone (and I've no idea to where, or I'd go there).

I will say she was great with my regular kids (the inside ones), but maybe that's because Krista had noted in my records that I was *very* aware when they were not right.
Old July 13th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

[...]

This still doesn't add up to me. Why would she say that he could have been
saved if it wasn't true? That would be cruel to you and frankly, a little
bizarre. And if it *was* true and he could have been saved, then how could
she euthanize him? What kind of vet kills an animal who can be saved, and be
"fine", as she herself put it? I don't think such a person deserves a license.
She might have been good with your ferals, but none of that excuses what she
did.

I just have to say that this story really affected me. A while after I'd
posted my response above, I went outside for a walk, and I started thinking
about this and then started sobbing. Maybe it's because I only recently had
to have Smudge put down, so I remember all too well that terrible sadness
of seeing my dead cat lying on the table. But then to find out, after it is
too late, that it wasn't even necessary - it really breaks my heart for you.
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Joyce