Long-time chronic diarrhea problem...

Old September 30th 03, 01:51 AM
Hank

OP here...
I just though of something, my cat can be very sensitive to sudden changes
in diet - that is in terms of throwing up. A friend once gave him some
cooked (and smoked) beef (while I was away) and he threw up all over the
place. Also, I tried giving him a small amount of yoghurt for the diarrhea
(about a teaspoon, warmed) and he puked on that.

All this said, he didn't throw up when we switched from Hill's to IVB green
peas and rabbit - I put him straight on the new dry food (he's always had
dry) without doing it gradually and no puking.

So, I'm kind of concerned about putting him straight on chicken and rice for
fear that he'll puke it all up. Should I do a very gradual transition?

Hank

Old September 30th 03, 02:16 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Hank composed with style:
OP here...
I just though of something, my cat can be very sensitive to sudden
changes in diet - that is in terms of throwing up. A friend once
gave him some cooked (and smoked) beef (while I was away) and he
threw up all over the place. Also, I tried giving him a small
amount of yoghurt for the diarrhea (about a teaspoon, warmed) and
he puked on that.

All this said, he didn't throw up when we switched from Hill's to
IVB green peas and rabbit - I put him straight on the new dry food
(he's always had dry) without doing it gradually and no puking.

So, I'm kind of concerned about putting him straight on chicken and
rice for fear that he'll puke it all up. Should I do a very gradual
transition?

Hank

Personally, Hank, I would just change him to plain chicken for a
couple of days following a short fast. Forget the rice; if he does
well on the chicken, think about adding rice but also looking into
other supplements necessary for a complete diet for a period of time
such as adding calcium or bone meal to balance out the phosphorus. If
you feed a homemade diet for any substantial length of time, you'll
need to make sure it is balanced with taurine and other vitamins and
minerals. I only add this last part because if he does well on a
homemade diet, likes it and can live on it well and you decide to keep
doing this, you'll need to know it has to be supplemented. You can
supplement long term with multi-vitamins made for humans - Whole Foods
grocery store has a good one that you can crush portions of, as it
comes in a capsule-shaped tablet form and is all natural. If this
sort of diet helps him, I'd strongly recommend talking to a
nutritionist or a feline-only vet to make sure it's balanced. Many
books on the subject, too.

Old September 30th 03, 02:34 AM
Hank

Should it be raw chicken or cooked?

Old September 30th 03, 02:34 AM
Hank

Should it be raw chicken or cooked?

Old September 30th 03, 02:34 AM
Hank

Should it be raw chicken or cooked?

Old September 30th 03, 02:37 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Hank composed with style:
Should it be raw chicken or cooked?

COOKED!!!! I lightly braise it, or sort of poached. Plenty moist.
You can make up a bunch at one time and freeze it in portions that
last 2 days or so, no more. I experimented with cooking chicken in
the crock pot so that it is shredded like Shadow likes it; it worked
out pretty well. I can't get him to eat it all the time but a few
times a week now is better than nothing. He eats crappy canned food
(Friskies, it's all he'll eat) the majority of the time but I think
he'd be better off with his problems if I could get him to eat the
homemade diet all of the time. He's also a dry food junkie but he's
down to very little now. I hope you post updates because I'm very
interested in how your kitty makes out. I swear it is the fiber
wreaking havoc on the system that starts this.