combing a reluctant cat

Old June 13th 04, 05:58 AM
Tracy

"Angi" wrote in message ...
I have a long haired cat with very fine fur which tangles a lot when he's
moulting (ie now) especially around his bum. However, although I'd love to
brush him he has some sort of phobia about brushes and combs and becomes
incredibly violent (biting and scratching) when approached with either, let
alone getting to brush him.

Any ideas what we can do with him please? He's not much better to handle
when given tablets so sedating isn't much of an option either. I would also
rather not have the cost of the vet shaving these knots off - also doesn't
solve the problem for the next time.

Thanks in advance for any tips I can try.
Angi

Hi Angi,

I guess approaching when he's half asleep hasn't worked?

You could try grinding up a sedative in his food and see if that
mellows him out a bit, but make sure that you clear with the vet what
you're giving him.

Have you tried just working the mats a bit with your fingers? I know
it can be a bit gross in the butt area, but sometimes if I can't get
my Maine Coon mix to sit still for a brushing, I can do some
unknotting in a sensitive spot with my hand while petting with the
other hand (usually a belly rub). Eventually she figures out what I'm
doing - LOL, but I can make slow steady progress on the matts over a
couple of days.

But if the matts are really severe than you may need to either get the
hair trimmed back there on a regular basis, or pay the vet to do a
periodic cleanup.

Old June 13th 04, 02:35 PM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:21:14 UTC, "Angi"
wrote:

I have a long haired cat with very fine fur which tangles a lot when he's
moulting (ie now) especially around his bum. However, although I'd love to
brush him he has some sort of phobia about brushes and combs and becomes
incredibly violent (biting and scratching) when approached with either, let
alone getting to brush him.

Sound a lot like my cat, Ruf. What I do is go ahead and comb him. I
start at the head and down the back, which he likes. When I get to
where the matts are and the comb catches in them, I just go ahead and
pull. Yes, it hurts him; he growls cries, screams, and tries to bite,
but I keep working on it as long as is reasonable.

Ruf seems to like the result because he comes to me and asks for it,
often nosing the comb in my shirt pocket. I suspect that the mats
pull at his skin in the rump area, and he recognizes that with the
mats gone, the discomfort goes away. I've had him shaved by the vet,
but that was only a very temporary solution.

Just our results in our 11-year relationship.

Jerry
--
My cat and I are very much alike: we're both gray, we're both fat,
and we both dig in his litter box.