Quick Jackie update

Old September 15th 04, 02:04 PM
dgk

Default Quick Jackie update

Jackie had a follow-up visit with the dentist and her mouth is doing
fine with just a few areas still a bit red. She is back over 6 lbs and
her fur is looking good. Her eyes have lost that suffering look that
made me take her in the first place.

She had her anal sacs expressed, because she was leaving her trademark
stinky brown circles again, and I got to watch it. I think perhaps
I'll just leave that little chore for the vet. My favorite line while
the dentist was doing the expressing was (nasal voice now) "Notice
that I'm breathing through my mouth". Jackie was none too pleased with
the procedure either. Yuck.

She still has diarrhea; I was kind of hoping that it was a byproduct
of the mouth infection but apparently not. Looks like colitis. I think
the diarrhea causes the anal sac problem because the stool isn't solid
enough to exert sufficient pressure on the sacs to empty normally. So,
we're putting her back on prednesilone, on a fairly low dosage, to try
to get it under control.

That's about it. She is a bit more active but mostly hangs out on my
bed. And in the backyard, where she prefers lying under one of the
evergreens. But they only go out when I'm around.
Old September 15th 04, 04:27 PM
Barb

Glad things are working out. My own Sapphire had two teeth pulled this year
and I didn't even know she was in pain. They don't always let you know.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 15th 04, 04:54 PM
Mary

"dgk" wrote in message
Jackie had a follow-up visit with the dentist and her mouth is doing fine

with just a few areas still a bit red. She is back over 6 lbs and her fur is
looking good. Her eyes have lost that suffering look that made me take her
in the first place.

Wow, what a feeling that must give you! You've made a little piece of the
world better, and at great expense to your finances.

She had her anal sacs expressed, because she was leaving her trademark

stinky brown circles again, and I got to watch it. I think perhaps I'll just
leave that little chore for the vet.

lol!!

She still has diarrhea; I was kind of hoping that it was a by product of

the mouth infection but apparently not. Looks like colitis. I think the
diarrhea causes the anal sac problem because the stool isn't solid enough to
exert sufficient pressure on the sacs to empty normally.

Another example of the snowballing effect neglect can have. (Meaning how she
was neglected before you took her.)

So, we're putting her back on prednesilone, on a fairly low dosage, to try
to get it under control.

Hope it works, and soon!

That's about it. She is a bit more active but mostly hangs out on my bed.

And in the backyard, where she prefers lying under one of the evergreens.
But they only go out when I'm around.

You know, with all you've put into Jackie I have no doubt you'd never put
her in any kind of danger. Thanks for the report.

Old September 15th 04, 06:30 PM
Karen

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Well, she *is* a senior citizen kitty and won't be too active. I'm glad she
is feeling better. I hope you can get that diarehha under control. More pics
please

Old September 16th 04, 03:52 PM
dgk

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:30:06 -0500, "Karen"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'll work on some pix.

Old September 17th 04, 02:21 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"dgk" wrote in message
Jackie had a follow-up visit with the dentist and her mouth is doing
fine with just a few areas still a bit red. She is back over 6 lbs and
her fur is looking good. Her eyes have lost that suffering look that
made me take her in the first place.

Very good news. :-)

She had her anal sacs expressed, because she was leaving her trademark
stinky brown circles again, and I got to watch it. I think perhaps
I'll just leave that little chore for the vet. My favorite line while
the dentist was doing the expressing was (nasal voice now) "Notice
that I'm breathing through my mouth". Jackie was none too pleased with
the procedure either. Yuck.

No, they usually aren't; I too would leave that particular little job to the
vet's expertise. ;-)

She still has diarrhea; I was kind of hoping that it was a byproduct
of the mouth infection but apparently not. Looks like colitis. I think
the diarrhea causes the anal sac problem because the stool isn't solid
enough to exert sufficient pressure on the sacs to empty normally. So,
we're putting her back on prednesilone, on a fairly low dosage, to try
to get it under control.

That's about it. She is a bit more active but mostly hangs out on my
bed. And in the backyard, where she prefers lying under one of the
evergreens. But they only go out when I'm around.

Good luck w/ the diarrhea part of the deal.

Is Jackie by any chance purring more than she used to, pre dental work?

Cathy