coconut safe for dogs & cats?

Old January 15th 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

Default coconut safe for dogs & cats?

On 1/14/2013 11:10 PM, wrote:
What is it supposed to taste like... Cus i just opened a can up...and it didn't taste so good..i figured its an aquired taste as my cats are lapping it up no problem. It is not curdled tasting or anything but then i know its not truly milk. But then again...they are drinking it...all 5 of them. I only gave them like 1/6 of the can.. And they didn't finish that. But they took turns lapping quite a but of it from a plate. But then they aren't huge "milk" drinkers as they were very sick this past year, caught a virus from a clinic, and were forced too drink Ensure for protein. Which saved one if their lives from not eating for 5 weeks...i had to force feed her for 5 weeks...she's now heavier then she was before she got sick...almost twice the size! She was the runt...you could never tell! Was barely 7 pounds before. Anyways. It just doesn't taste good to me. Doesn't smell or anything...just was not tasty. Definitely did not taste like the coconut i have drank before fresh from the sh

ell!
Did not taste like coconut!
And if i open this can of pumpkin will they eat it without mixing it with anything? They caught herpes AND calici from a clinic earlier this year. I'm willing to do whatever i have to to keep their immune systems up. I took one in for a blocked bladder...he came home a week later with two viruses... Serious viruses. They were the variant strains. Lost half my fur babies within 5 weeks. One more sept 1,12. Had 11 healthy cats that were never sick till that week.... Within the first week i ended up giving cpr to my first fur baby girl who had 3 seizures within a few minutes and lost her on the way to the EMERGENCY hospital.... Sigh. Worst year of my life... Losing my fur babies. Have 5 healthy ones who now have herpes for the rest of their lives. Took 5 weeks to save one of them... Dr said she's a miracle...came back from deaths door he said. She went into liver failure. One DR had even refused to treat her...said it would cost $3,000...even then it was maybe a10% chance she would s

urvive. She was too sick for a feeding tube even. The new Dr...even agreed to that...i had to hand fed herfor 5 weeks..she's a testimony to my faith to the miracle of prayer, love and devotion to my fur babies. Which by the way..it wasn't $3,000... It was under $500. A lot to some... But she's a beautiful black Siamese. She stopped eating because her sister had passed away and she became very depressed. I found her curled up in her sisters arms... After she had passed away.. her sister had a medication reaction and passed away in the night. I did everything the vet said to do within the 12hrs of the reaction before they reopened... She passed really fast. It had to be a complication with being sick also.
Anyways..if coconut milk, water will help their digestion i want to try it... They have issues sometimes but i think i have it under control finally. But anything that will help their health improve even more I'm willing to do especially if its as easy as getting them coconut milk or water....or pumpkin.

coconut milk isn't milk, it just looks like it. it made by grinding up
raw coconut, adding heated water, and pressing it out to remove the
solids. it has a lot of oil in it and is pretty rich, but contains no
lactose.

i use canned pumpkin mixed in with wet food to aid in my cat's
digestion. it contains a lot of fiber, and is good for most animals (and
humans) in that regard. i have a few who will eat it without anything
mixed in, but not all.

Old January 18th 13, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

chaniarts wrote:
On 1/14/2013 11:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

Couple of years ago I went down to Safeway to get some canned cast food. It
had just turned 50 cents a can.
they had a table full of Bumple Bee tuna, (people food) on sale for 40 cents
a can. So, I decided to get some for my cats....

Bad decision. When I got home and opened one up, it was black inside, and
neither me nor the cats would touch it....:^)

Old March 22nd 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

COCONUT MILK IS NOT SAFE FOR CATS. If you really want to give your cat milk, you can give almond milk and soy milk is sorta ok, but they don't have any health benefits. Better yet go to a pet store and buy some of the kitty-safe milk there.