Cat STILL Yowls in Early Morning

Old October 26th 04, 12:17 AM
Ruby Tuesday

Default Cat STILL Yowls in Early Morning

Okay, so I got rid of the wicker table and bought a nice one from IKEA
instead. And Mico STILL starts up around 5 in the morning! He wants to be
petted and rubs his head against me. He tries to walk up the grass mats I
have hanging on the wall. He mews. He yowls. This goes on for a looong
time. Ignoring him doesn't help, he doesn't stop until I kick him out of the
room and close the door on him. I don't want to close my door on him.
Suggestions anyone?

TIA,

- Ruby Tuesday

Old October 26th 04, 05:01 AM
Cat Protector

How is getting rid of a wicker table going to stop a cat from yowling? Since
you have a cat that likes to climb have you tried getting him a cat tower?
That might help calm him a bit because he has a new toy to play with. You
also haven't mentioned whether or not you have gotten the cat neutered. If
you haven't then you might want to have the procedure done because it'll
calm him down. If he is an only cat you might want to consider getting Mico
a playmate. Another cat to play with and have for company certainly doesn't
hurt.

I too have a cat that is very vocal and found out the reason he is most of
the time is because he wants attention so I usually give it to him. The
other cats in the household are not as vocal as Icarus but luckily he knows
my sleep patterns so he waits until I am awake before he starts his cries.
Of course if I am home for a while during the day he is vocal but I have a
feeling it is partly because he doesn't like to be away from me and of
course he still has dominance issues. I found him as a stray and I get the
feeling he wasn't too well socialized amongst cats and he also has an A-type
personality. I just give him lots of love, try to discipline him when he is
bad and hope for the best. Of course, he is a handful and I am told Japanese
Bobtails are intelligent but a bit on the stubborn side. If they get it in
their minds that they don't want to do something then they won't. Of course
it took a lot of patience to teach Icarus that jumping on the counters is
not acceptable behavior so out came the squirt bottle. He now knows what it
is for and also gets a stern NO as well if he gets into things he's not
supposed to. Despite the mischief Icarus is a great cat just like Isis and
Jade. I just wish he were as well behaved.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old October 26th 04, 03:57 PM
Ruby Tuesday

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
How is getting rid of a wicker table going to stop a cat from yowling?

The original message I wrote was this:

To begin, I am a bit of an insomniac. I have often woken up at about 5:00
am, stayed up for about an hour, then gone back to sleep. But this happens
once every few nights.

Another important piece of information: my cat tends to want to destroy my
wicker night table whenever he is in my room, so I have come to shutting my
door on him at night.

The result: Mico starts yowling at about 4:30 am for me to get up. And he
just doesn't stop until I do. I'm not only concerned about myself, but also
about my neighbours as I live in an urban apartment building.

And just for the record, the new night table is made of wood.

Since
you have a cat that likes to climb have you tried getting him a cat tower?

My place is too small for that.

That might help calm him a bit because he has a new toy to play with. You
also haven't mentioned whether or not you have gotten the cat neutered.

He is neutered.

If
you haven't then you might want to have the procedure done because it'll
calm him down. If he is an only cat you might want to consider getting

Mico
a playmate. Another cat to play with and have for company certainly

doesn't
hurt.

It would be nice, but I can only handle one cat at this time.

I too have a cat that is very vocal and found out the reason he is most of
the time is because he wants attention so I usually give it to him.

Mico gets more than enough attention from me.

[...]

Thanks for sharing. I just might bring out the squirt gun again, but it
seems so much easier just to shut the door on him.

- Ruby Tuesday

Old October 26th 04, 04:38 PM
Rene

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message ...
Okay, so I got rid of the wicker table and bought a nice one from IKEA
instead. And Mico STILL starts up around 5 in the morning! He wants to be
petted and rubs his head against me. He tries to walk up the grass mats I
have hanging on the wall. He mews. He yowls. This goes on for a looong
time. Ignoring him doesn't help, he doesn't stop until I kick him out of the
room and close the door on him. I don't want to close my door on him.
Suggestions anyone?

TIA,

- Ruby Tuesday

Had to go back and read your original post to remember your
situation. Have you tried playing with him just before bedtime to tire
him out more? Do you have a cattree anywhere he can climb instead?
Perhaps he's bored--do you have any outdoor entertainment or a window
seat/ledge he can look out and watch?

Another question: when you get up in the morning, do you immediately
get up and feed him? Cats are good at testing their limits and will
try to get you up earlier and earlier. You might need to "retrain" him
and _not_ immediately feed him when you get up. Do something else
(shower, eat breakfast, etc.) first, then feed him.

Whatever you do, don't give him any attention, positive or negative.
This will only reinforce the behavior and he'll keep at it. If you
need to lock him out of the room, simply close the door and go back to
bed. He will learn that this behavior does not solicit a response. An
example of negative behavior: one of my cats was terrible at finding
ways to wake me up. He'll chew on DVD cases, knock things over, stand
on my side. Tried to ignore him, but also didn't want him breaking
anything. First I tried locking him in a spare bedroom (with
litterbox). He soon thought of this as a game. He'd dash away and race
under the dining room table, knowing I'd come and find him. He'd
always be purring too. Finally, I simply shut the bedroom door and
locked him out. It took only a few times, and he's much better. He
rarely bugs me, except on the weekends when my schedule is more
erratic, so then I can't blame him.

Anyway, sorry so long, but I hope this gives you some ideas. Keep us
posted!

Rene

Old October 26th 04, 07:01 PM
Ruby Tuesday

"Rene" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. Will keep y'all posted.

- Ruby Tuesday